Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 6mm with heavey bullets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    195

    6mm with heavey bullets

    given the 6 mm bra and other cases of this type is there a swing toward the heavyer bullets for the longer 200 and 300 yard group shoots ?
    gary b

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by g n brezinski View Post
    given the 6 mm bra and other cases of this type is there a swing toward the heavyer bullets for the longer 200 and 300 yard group shoots ?
    gary b
    Can't speak for the 300yd crowd but many short range guys are working on various setups involving 12 twist barrels, 80 grain bullets and Grendel cases. Most of these guys think a BRA holds too much powder to be a consistent performer with lighter bullets. It seems that Bart's Dominators work well at appx. 3200fps. I think it is going to work well in a Heavy Varmint rifle but in a Light Varmint they torque quite a bit and cannot be fired free recoil, at least I can't. My case is a 6 Grendel, it will easily run an 80 gn bullet to 3300. Having a little trouble with vertical that suggests I still haven't found the right powder, working on it. When dialed in it should be very good at 300 yards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Can't speak for the 300yd crowd but many short range guys are working on various setups involving 12 twist barrels, 80 grain bullets and Grendel cases. Most of these guys think a BRA holds too much powder to be a consistent performer with lighter bullets. It seems that Bart's Dominators work well at appx. 3200fps. I think it is going to work well in a Heavy Varmint rifle but in a Light Varmint they torque quite a bit and cannot be fired free recoil, at least I can't. My case is a 6 Grendel, it will easily run an 80 gn bullet to 3300. Having a little trouble with vertical that suggests I still haven't found the right powder, working on it. When dialed in it should be very good at 300 yards.
    I'm shooting a 6PPC with a .130 throat and Barts 80 grn Dominators. The load is 30.6 grns of H4895 at a flat 3200 fps out of a 25 inch long 1-12 Krieger.

    Accuracy is quite acceptable. I don't even shoot it at 100, as I built it to shoot 200 and 300 yard VFS. The tune has produced "mid threes" at 200.

    I started out using 133, 28.8 grns yielded the same 3200 fps, but the 4895 load tends to Agg better.

    I really don't know why others think you need a bigger case. That 80 grn Barts likes 3200 fps, a long throat PPC reaches that with ease.

    By the way, I used my regular .269 neck 6PPC Reamer and a throater to maker the chamber. This is where the bullet seats just touching the lands

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1525914690
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2271.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	20937  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 05-09-2018 at 09:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Thanks for posting Jackie, how long is the barrel on your rifle?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Thanks for posting Jackie, how long is the barrel on your rifle?
    25 inches.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    858
    With a drop tube 30.6 of H4895 is down in the neck about an 1/8" without it is over flowing in a sized PPC. case for me. definitely compressed with an 80 .... jim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    With a drop tube 30.6 of H4895 is down in the neck about an 1/8" without it is over flowing in a sized PPC. case for me. definitely compressed with an 80 .... jim
    Correct, Jim. I use a 12 inch drop tube, the bullet compresses the load just a little.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    858
    Jackie, Did you ever try 8208 xbr? I will try it in an old 8 twist barrel I have yo see what kind of speed I can get. 31 gr. seems to come up to about half way in the neck with a drop tube. It really shot good with the 80's in the BR imp. @3250..... jim

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW.Pa.
    Posts
    858
    29.7 gr. of 8208 XBR and a BR4 primer is 3206 in a 24" Brux barrel with Barts 80gr. bt...... jim

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    30

    Some testing that I've done

    Quote Originally Posted by g n brezinski View Post
    given the 6 mm bra and other cases of this type is there a swing toward the heavyer bullets for the longer 200 and 300 yard group shoots ?
    gary b
    Since the weather finally warmed up I've been able to do some testing with my 12 tw 6br at the 100, 200, & a few at 300yds using several different bullets in the 80gr area and a couple of load combinations. I shot the BR in a 200yd group shoot a couple weeks ago and it did respectfully well (for me). What seems to be working best for my rifle so far is either Precision Ballistics' 80gr BT with the 6/9 ogive &, Bart's 80gr Dominators. Either 8208 or N135, and 450 primers with the nod going to 8208. I shot some groups at 300yds under ideal conditions that looked like they could be competitive too. Especially with a better shooter than I am.

    The biggest surprise to me was trying some Precision Ballistics 74gr HPBT with the 6/9 ogive. Whether it was a fluke or not time will tell but it looked better at 100yd than the 80's and nearly equal at 200 & 300 with literally no tuning yet. I'll be surprised if it works... but it did that day. WD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •