Thread: reccomended singlre to three phase solid state converters.

reccomended singlre to three phase solid state converters.

my buddies lathe is 3 hp and 3 ph.
    looking at changing to solid state converter.
    ( he has a bearing dying in his rotary converter)

not looking to go variable speed, just a converter.

suggestions ?

Why not just change the motor to single phase with a variable speed or replace the bearing in the converter motor. Not that hard of a job if you can find someone that works with electrical motors and controls. Bearings would probably be under $20 if you look around on line.

a 3 hp vfd is cheaper and gives you more true HP than a static converter. About $200. You don't have to use it to vary the speed, but having that option is nice.
    If its just a bad bearing, changing the bearings in a three phase motor is pretty easy as long as nothing screwed up.

I use my vfd strictly as a phase converter. My bridgeport is a variable speed type and I leave the hz at 60 on the vfd. Automation direct unit 2hp for a 1.5hp motor. Wiring and programming were very straightforward and the cost was reasonable.
    I use a safety switch to power on/off the unit and that setup has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by savet06 View Post
    I use my vfd strictly as a phase converter. My bridgeport is a variable speed type and I leave the hz at 60 on the vfd. Automation direct unit 2hp for a 1.5hp motor. Wiring and programming were very straightforward and the cost was reasonable.
    I use a safety switch to power on/off the unit and that setup has worked well for me.
    That is exactly what I am doing with my variable speed knee mill. I'd probably go the same route with a lathe if needed.