Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Your Own Bullets

Making your own bullets

I'm Pretty sure davids mailing address should work.
    If you can't reach him by phone try mailing him.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    a post on the "thoughts on benchrest competition" thread includes the following comment: "today...more and more good shooters make their own bullets." (http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...petition/page4) that comment prompts me to ask the following questions:

1. Why do folks make their own bullets when good bullets are available from other sources?
    2. What is needed to make your own bullets and what's the approximate cost of the equipment?
    3. Excluding the cost of the equipment and the value of your time, what's the approximate cost per completed bullet?
    4. About how long does it take to make, say, 500 or 1,000 bullets?
    as i needed more bullets i added more presses i now have 48 set up so i dont have to change dies.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    as i needed more bullets i added more presses i now have 48 set up so i dont have to change dies.
    just walk in and go to work.i am now burning new carbide dies in 7.5 and 8 ojiveand desiged new ejection pin to get rid of all the threaded rod slick.alsonew system for puttig jackets in boards in i fourth the time all on rockchuckers new design 814 335 0450 .

M

Cool

old way 8 hrs. A 1-000 for 6mm

Cool

just walk in and go to work.i am now burning new carbide dies in 7.5 and 8 ojiveand desiged new ejection pin to get rid of all the threaded rod slick.alsonew system for puttig jackets in boards in i fourth the time all on rockchuckers new design 814 335 0450 .

M
    one die will handel 1 million cals.

Cool

one die will handel 1 million cals.
    with one press. But6 3 presses wors nicer.

[QUOTE=BillBrawand;847505]with one press. But 3 PRESSES WORKS NICER

[QUOTE=BillBrawand;847506]
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    with one press. But 3 PRESSES WORKS NICER
    Who is still making benchrest quality dies?

Thumbs up Best explanation I've heard about a very critical step

[QUOTE=Mike Bryant, "I think a lot of what goes into a good bullet is in the core to jacket set up when seating the core. You want a core seating punch diameter that gives the least lead bleed by that you can get without scraping any jacket from the side walls. I check that with a bore scope without the right angle adapter. When you arrive at the punch size that you want to use, then, I go with Skip Otto's method of pressuring up the seated core. Keep applying more pressure by adjusting either the die length or the punch until your jacket lengthens .001". That's the point when the jacket is just beginning to stretch to fail. If you add much more pressure, the jacket will pop. I'm using a George Ulrich horizontal press for core seating. When you get the jacket to lengthen that .001", then I back off the core seating punch .001".

Mike, I don't make my own bullets but I have studied everything about the process for years and have made bullets under the supervision of both Charles Huckeba and Cecil Tucker. It is an interesting subject; isn't it ? And you are SO right with your explanation above about core seating.

Gene Beggs

Cool

M
    also making jacket boards for 105 gr. Bullets and filling with lead in minutes.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dusty stevens View Post
    there are rumors surrounding any success. George is still going strong.
    bill brawand is still around andoing it all new degsined presses neww 7.5 8 ojive carbide dies new shaker boards for jackets and leads for 105 gr.6m and 6.5 814 335 0450 c.

Cool

remenber lead is soft even up to 6 percent it will flow with the amt. Of pressure from the punch and shoot like hell i did a lot of jt.

Cool

remenber lead is soft even up to 6 percent it will flow with the amt. Of pressure from the punch and shoot like hell i did a lot of jt.
    i also make spitzer 100 gr' for 243 out of 6 percent lead they look like sierras

Cool

And 222 7mm. Shoot better than gang busters.

Bill are you telling me you make a 222gr 7MM Match bullet???

I don't own a 7mm of any sort but I'll build one to try out a 222gr bullet.