Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

the smallest "hemi's" ( fire dome) from the 50's that i remember is is about 354 or some number like that.
    maybe some one de-stroked/or added liners.

well i looked it up......276ci/160hp!

Quote Originally Posted by CMaier View Post
    the smallest "hemi's" ( fire dome) from the 50's that i remember is is about 354 or some number like that.

You looked it up so now I had too. Turns out Dodge had two motors over 300 inches [ 315 - 325 ] and I'm sure you saw that too, but elected not to poke me with that info. Thanks! Anyway, getting 40 inches out of a 270 or 276 motor might be a reach. Looking at the charts the 291 inch DeSoto might be a better choice. I do know it was an early Hemi under 310 inches and how they arrived at that displacement I'm not sure,but they didn't call it a DeSoto. On the other hand that was 50 plus years ago and I can't remember where I left my shoe's. I do have my socks on.

Car photos

Jackie wanted pictures so here we go. The 53 - 54 Corvette wasn't mine but myself and my future wife (three people will fit) were chauffeured around in it when I got back from a 13 month tour in the Pacific. It was powered by a 283 with a three speed on the floor. The can in his hand isn't soda pop.
    Attachment 18100

This is an absolutely cherry 57 we bought in 1965. My wife drove this car (283 powereglide) because she didn't like the beefed pressure plate in the 55. We soon after sold this car and bought a new 66 Chevelle SS which I later used to flat tow the 55 D/G car.

Attachment 18102

This is our 63 split window and that is snow on the rear of the car. The day before we just made it over the pass into Lake Tahoe before they closed the road. The second picture was taken in Monterey, California which was one of our favorite destinations. The picture of the 57 was also taken in Monterey.
    Attachment 18101 Attachment 18103

The last picture is the 55 D/G car. I call this one "my office on Sundays".
    Attachment 18104

I have more pictures somewhere that I will post later. One is the 40 Ford that's in my sign in logo, and in the lower right hand corner is part of the 66 Corvette coupe which we still have. The 40 Ford now belongs to my son. He was having fun with it until the trans went out last week.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-05-2016 at 06:17 PM.

These pictures are too small. I will do what I can to fix that asap.

This 1970 Cuda belongs to my good friend, it has original paint, no rust, no dents, original 440 Magnum 4 speed, he bought if for $1900 when we were in high school in the late 70s. It as good as it looks in the picture, he will never part with it. I believe it has a little over 400000 original miles. The crotch rocket is one I rode around on the street in the 80s, my best time at the IRP ET drags was 10.58 at 130 with the small street tire and no bars and street gearing. It wouldn't hang in today's world of 1400cc factory street racers, but it was still a lot of fun.😀
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpeg 
Views:	346 
Size:	999.9 KB 
ID:	18105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suzuki3_2.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	18106  

Great Rides

My first ride was in 1958 when I bought a clean '47 Ford Coupe for $80. I rubbed out the paint and put 6" shackles on the front springs to lower the front of the car. I was still in high school and had a part time job (50 cents an hour) which helped with gas but no room for anything else. The thing I associate with this car more than anything else was the total freedom it gave me. Great times......some of which will never see print.

My second ride was a '55 Chevy 2dr post, radio delete, 265 stick car that I purchased from another Marine before I was discharged in 1963. This car ended up running D/G but before that was a very quick street machine. The 265 gave way to a punched out 283 with T10 4 speed and a 4.56 rear end. The engine had Jahn's high dome pistons, 327 fuelie heads, Winters dual quad manifold with two WCFB carbs. The cam was a Duntov 30-30, reground by Ed Winflied, who had a one man shop on an alley in San Francisco. Ignition was supplied by a Corvette dual point mechanical tach drive distributor. The shifter was from a 409 4 speed car as it would clear the bench seat. Changing to 7" recap slicks this combo would run real low 14, high 13 second ET's (13.80 best) at Fremont drag strip on grudge nights. The ET doesn't sound impressive but I beat a lot of big block muscle cars that showed up and ran street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    My first ride was in 1958 when I bought a clean '47 Ford Coupe for $80. I rubbed out the paint and put 6" shackles on the front springs to lower the front of the car. I was still in high school and had a part time job (50 cents an hour) which helped with gas but no room for anything else. The thing I associate with this car more than anything else was the total freedom it gave me. Great times......some of which will never see print.

My second ride was a '55 Chevy 2dr post, radio delete, 265 stick car that I purchased from another Marine before I was discharged in 1963. This car ended up running D/G but before that was a very quick street machine. The 265 gave way to a punched out 283 with T10 4 speed and a 4.56 rear end. The engine had Jahn's high dome pistons, 327 fuelie heads, Winters dual quad manifold with two WCFB carbs. The cam was a Duntov 30-30, reground by Ed Winflied, who had a one man shop on an alley in San Francisco. Ignition was supplied by a Corvette dual point mechanical tach drive distributor. The shifter was from a 409 4 speed car as it would clear the bench seat. Changing to 7" recap slicks this combo would run real low 14, high 13 second ET's (13.80 best) at Fremont drag strip on grudge nights. The ET doesn't sound impressive but I beat a lot of big block muscle cars that showed up and ran street tires.
    Wow, that sounds almost identical to what my older brother built back in the early '60's. He had a 56 Chevy hardtop. He got a 283, bored it to make a 301, (remember when we called a punched out 283 a 301), Jahns pistons, 30-30 cam, double hump heads, an old Corvette duel point, with the twin side by side CFB's on that intake Edelbrock made, and a set of cheap headers going into Thrush a Cherry Bombs. A four speed with a Fenton Shifter went into a Cadillac Rear End with 456 gears.

That was one screaming car. It to would run mid to high 13's at the old Porter Drag Strip with Atlas Bucrons on the rims.

Those were the days.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 08-14-2016 at 01:18 AM.

A 301 Chevy

Yeah Jackie, those were the days and it was pretty easy because all you had to have were seat belts and you were good to go. The street cars today make so much horsepower they want you to have a drive shaft hoop and a scatter shield. If I recall, you were faced with that when you wanted to run your Chevelle.

Was your bother running a cross ram manifold? I heard they weren't very streetable. I guess it's what you are willing to put up with. My wife had a hard time with the beefed pressure plate in the '55 but continued driving the car. The '57 was really her every day driver.

The Chevy rear ends were pretty weak and with continued abuse could leave you stranded. A popular swap was the '57 Olds/Pontiac. They went in like they were meant to be there. There was a large selection of aftermarket gear ratios available.

Thanks for the response, I was hoping this might ring a bell with someone.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.

As best I can remember, it looked like this.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/greenhoe/DSCN2081_001.JPG

One reason that little engine ran so good was it probably had 13 to 1 compression. Those were the days of Gulf " Crest" and Texaco "NoKnox" gasoline.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 08-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    As best I can remember, it looked like this.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/greenhoe/DSCN2081_001.JPG

One reason that little engine ran so good was it probably had 13 to 1 compression. Those were the days of Gulf " Crest" and Texaco "NoKnox" gasoline.
    That's a cross ram. I had one of Phil Weiand's on the gasser with 2 E series AFB's. The best gas out here was the Chevron White Pump. I think it was around 100 octane.
    I had to run the " White Pump" in the 396 SS or it would rattle sometimes.
    Last edited by dmort; 08-17-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaier View Post

I had a 1954 Dodge with a 241cu. Red Ram engine. It had a single barrel carb.

MY 66 chevelle

Hi One of my other hobbys Real 138 SS now 496 5sp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCZsZuJhufE
    Thanks For looking, John

Quote Originally Posted by 21 shooter View Post
    Hi One of my other hobbys Real 138 SS now 496 5sp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCZsZuJhufE
    Thanks For looking, John
    '66 and '67 Chevelles are the best looking car Chevy ever produced.

Of course, I am a tad prejudice.

I drove her to work this morning. Have to get new inspection to get tags.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1471974352

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	472 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	18249  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 08-23-2016 at 01:50 PM.

A 66 SS Chevy 11 for me.

This one was sent to me by one of my old friends. It is the ONLY picture I have left . 1969 Road Runner 440 6 was run in the "Old " Pure Stock class never beaten in class comp in three years ran 12.90' at 106 after being driven 111 miles one way . 1st Pure Stock car to run in the 12's

Jim

Name:	Road Runner at 75-80 (1280x931) (355x354).jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	18250