Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    It's been out twice, went -.87 under and -.93 under on two different tracks. It's in a stick shift Nova. : -Al
    Al, That is so cool! A 4 speed no less! I'm sure it would have been a record holder in C or D/Gas back in the day. Would love to see it run.

Many thanks

Mort

It's been a week long project but this one got finished up on the dyno yesterday:

It's a SBC (kinda' ) based on a G.M. 'Aurora' Oldsmobile (kinda' )block originally designed for IRL racing. The block isn't cast iron..it's a CG (compacted graphite) block. The blocks were delivered with no head bolt holes or lifter bores so the builders could put them where they wanted to. This one was originally done by the late Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins as a spin off from the NHRA Pro Stock Truck program. Pretty cool to be working on something that 'The Grump' had layed his hands on!

Anyway, it uses a set of splayed valve heads (basically a big block Chevy head on a small block Chevy block) with very small combustion chambers. Small enough that the compression ratio is 18:1 with a flat top piston. Engine speeds are a tick over 9,000 at peak rpm. With 358 cubic inches, it made 934 h.p. which is 2.6 h.p. per cubic inch! No power adders, spray stuff or funky fuel....just race gas per NHRA rules.

I spent one full day on the lathe and mill just fab'ing up throttle linkage from a box of odds and ends laying around my pal's race shop. There's not a lot of room with the shear plates under the carbs....the geometry with two 4500 series carbs can get you in trouble quickly. There's something about watching all that linkage work in harmony that makes me smile.

Hope you enjoy this stuff. -Al

HOlee Shmouldering Boulders....... talk about "mixing old tech with new"..... that's a whole nuther level

and me..... I'ma settin' here wondering "what's it like to drill and tap graphite??"

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    and me..... I'ma settin' here wondering "what's it like to drill and tap graphite??"
    It pretty much acts like cast iron....harder on tooling, for sure. The CG blocks bring three things to the table...homogeneous grain structure, dimensional stability and the ability to be repaired. If (when) you hurt a cylinder wall, it's TIG welded, machined and finish honed just like it was new. No more sleeving which can push adjacent bores around.

This technology directly spilled over to production uses as millions of vehicles now use connecting rods made of powdered metal formed under pressure.

Kinda' like a hammer forged barrel without all the noise. Randy Robinett and I went by a hammer forging operation in Pennsylvania when we were there for the IBS Score Nationals....talk about noise!

Good shootin'. -Al

The linkage looks very nice, clean...professional.

Mort