Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Modern loads in the 7mm Mauser?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    WIDELY AVAILBLE in sweden.............i do not remeber the site i was on but they had rifle after rifle in this conversion.
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    what rifle using an 1896 mauser action is anyone using to chamber a 30-06?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    with a 24 bbl i get 2850 at 55kpsi.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    The 7x57 was loaded many years ago with the CIL Dominion 139 gr softpoint with 45 gr IMR 4320 by a good shooter-hunter friend.
    It was supposed to be 2900 fps and Bob said that there was no difference between that load and a .270 in the field on game.
    This load was listed by RCBS in their loading book .

    Of course that was in Model 98 actions with Douglas barrels.


    Glenn

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    maybe a modern plus p load and so marked and marketed ??
    my guess...too small of a market.....maybe for a smaller business ???

    mike in co

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    WIDELY AVAILBLE in sweden.............i do not remeber the site i was on but they had rifle after rifle in this conversion.
    mike in co
    i ask because the 1896 mauser action isnt long enough to cycle a 30-06 round through it, so it seems a far fetched claim.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    leftyo,
    not exactlly true...
    if loaded to max length yes, but no one says you have to load to max length.
    the swede is only 0.190 shorter so yes you could.ammo loaded 0.2 short would work.
    i'm only telling you what i saw and all the comments it caused at the time.
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i ask because the 1896 mauser action isnt long enough to cycle a 30-06 round through it, so it seems a far fetched claim.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    well you still havent shown any proof for what your claiming about strength of the small ring mauser action. i will straight up say, one wont just blow up when run hotter, but running hi powered modern loads in one uses up the actions safety margins for strength. with an action such as these that dont have the mod98's 3rd lug for safety, or the gas handling characteristics, it is totally unwise to run modern pressure ammo through one. IMO it is piss poor to advise folks that it is OK to do so!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    we have moved away from the questions, so i will go back to the question.
    if there was a market for 7 mauser with a supply of modern rifles then one could market ammo marked "plus p" /"for modern fire arms only".....
    but since the second does not exisit i doubt the first wil either.

    ( lefty.....the small ring 96 mauser is 55kpsi in 6.5x55 swede.....the commercial conversions have to be proof tested in europe. so it would seem the test were done and 58kpsi was accepted(( less than std 30'06)).......you are correct i have no "proof" i only know what has been done and sold commercially in europe......58kpsi on a 96 small ring mauser).

    mike in co

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    good, since you have no proof and admit it, quit giving questionable unsafe advice as to what a small ring mauser can handle. "so it would seem" is not any kind of factual evidence!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    well you still havent shown any proof for what your claiming about strength of the small ring mauser action. i will straight up say, one wont just blow up when run hotter, but running hi powered modern loads in one uses up the actions safety margins for strength. with an action such as these that dont have the mod98's 3rd lug for safety, or the gas handling characteristics, it is totally unwise to run modern pressure ammo through one. IMO it is piss poor to advise folks that it is OK to do so!
    Probably not wise to jump in this but, IIRC Kimber of Oregon rebarreled M96 Swedes to 308, 243, and 22-250 and sold them as conversions to the publice here in the states just before being bought out and moved to NY. Everything I read claimed the actions were up to the pressures and the rifles were safe. The M96 doesn`t handle gas as well as some others but isn`t lacking strength

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    not likely to happen lefty....i saw the rifles.......
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    good, since you have no proof and admit it, quit giving questionable unsafe advice as to what a small ring mauser can handle. "so it would seem" is not any kind of factual evidence!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    not likely to happen lefty....i saw the rifles.......
    mike in co
    well then, show us some proof. alot of people have seen things that dont exist. you say they chambered the 1896 mauser in 30-06, well it doesnt fit the action, so what else have you seen. you seem to want to prove everybody wrong about the strength of this action, but have zero proof. you think maybe paul mauser thought it wasnt the strongest thing in the world, and set about making the mod98. a action that was bigger, longer, stronger, and could better handle gasses to protect the shooter in case something went wrong. pushing the 1896 reciever past what it was designed for is a very bad idea, unless you personally dont mind 55,000psi in your face! maybe i take this too personally, but i have been behind a rifle when its gas handling abilities were tested, and its a spooky experience, and fortunately i still have my eyes. pushing a rifle to its limits is not a wise idea, and advocating others that it is ok to do so is beyond foolish!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    well since you mentioned the 55kpsi...maybe you should check the design pressure for the 6.5x55 swede cartridge. it is 55kpsi. yes 55kpsi since it's inception in 1896. it is the child of the '96 mauser action. my only cliam is that commercial 30'06 96 mausers designed for the cip 58kpsi round have been built and sold in europe.
    i do not see moving from 55 to 58 as a dangerous move. that is a mere 3kpsi increase over the 6.5x55.
    look at what is done in a rem 700 action today in benchrest. todays br loads are a lot more than 3kpsi over what that reciever was designed for.
    you have your opinion, i have mine...mine is based on the facts of what has been done in europe for years. you don't like that, do not complain to me..i did not start it.
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    well then, show us some proof. alot of people have seen things that dont exist. you say they chambered the 1896 mauser in 30-06, well it doesnt fit the action, so what else have you seen. you seem to want to prove everybody wrong about the strength of this action, but have zero proof. you think maybe paul mauser thought it wasnt the strongest thing in the world, and set about making the mod98. a action that was bigger, longer, stronger, and could better handle gasses to protect the shooter in case something went wrong. pushing the 1896 reciever past what it was designed for is a very bad idea, unless you personally dont mind 55,000psi in your face! maybe i take this too personally, but i have been behind a rifle when its gas handling abilities were tested, and its a spooky experience, and fortunately i still have my eyes. pushing a rifle to its limits is not a wise idea, and advocating others that it is ok to do so is beyond foolish!
    Last edited by mike in co; 01-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    you keep claiming facts, but have zero proof. when dealing with safety issues, opinions dont count.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    aurora, co
    Posts
    3,609
    just because YOU have not seen them do not mean they do not exisit.
    my facts are in europe, as i have said before and some in the states now too.
    just because YOUR opinon is that it is not so , does not make you correct.
    i believe SARCO was the improter that sold them in the usa.
    you are correct, your opinion does not count.
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    you keep claiming facts, but have zero proof. when dealing with safety issues, opinions dont count.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4

    7x57 Realistic Loads in a strong action.

    I have always loved the 7x57 in the field. Effective, mild mannered and versatile.
    With it I have shot Muleys, Whitetails, Blacktails, Black Bear, Elk and Moose [8 of these]
    At last count, I have taken 52 head of game with this great chambering.

    I have owned 7x57 rifles by Ruger [M77R] by Winchester [Featherweight x2], by
    Mauser [M98], by Husqvarna, and by Savage [M110]

    At present, I own 2 7x57 rifles with very strong actions: a #1AB Ruger, and a M700
    "Classic" Remington. Both sport 22" barrels.

    I load 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets in these, depending on the game I am pursuing.
    I am a long-time Partition fan, but lately have been using the Accubonds and Interbonds
    with great success. I use slower burners in my 7x57 rifles, usually dense powders are
    best due to limited case capacity. [Norma MRP, Superperformance, Reloder 19 and 22.]
    ATM, I am experimenting with StaBALL 6.5, to see if it yields good results.

    I expect [and get] just over 2900 with 140's, 2800 and pennies with 150's and 2700
    with 160's. Accuracy is great, and cases [Winchester, PPU or Hornady] last a long time.

    I seldom recover a Partition, but have a couple. 2 Accubonds, and 1 Interbond. The rest
    have been pass through. Most of my animals have been 1 shot and done, but a couple
    were shot a second time whether necessary or not, lol.

    I would be a liar to say that this old-timer is not one of my all time favorites. All my kids
    learned to shoot and hunt with it, and I continue to use it on a regular bases. Dave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •