Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .220 Swift Norma brass question

.220 Swift Norma brass question

Can someone please tell me what the neck wall thickness is for virgin Norma .220 Swift brass?
    Thank you

What the thickness is, I don't know, but the .220 swift was orignally a Bench Rest cartridge. A lot of people don't know that. The idea of that was to get down sooner, therefore Bench Rest accuracy. And the .22-250 would soon follow.
    Last edited by Bill Gammon; 08-24-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Just make sure it's uniform before you shoot it.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by R Stiner View Post
    Mr. Stiner, thank you for the reply,

.013 seems thin. I have checked several batches of Winchester and it averages .017. Unfortunately the neck thickness run-out is just too much for my liking. .013 even in my SAAMI minimum chamber with a .260 neck leaves .005 clearance per side. I usually do .001 to .0015 per side in my tight neck guns. For the Swift I think .016 would be a good compromise. I know Hornady also averages .013 so I guess I'll have to find some Winchester that doesn't have excessive run-out.

The virgin Norma 220 Swift cases on hand here measure an average of .0145. Later Winchester cases are close to .017 and the virgin Remington cases I have average .0160.

While that does seem thin for a production cartridge, there's a reason for this. The Swift had a reputation 'in the day' for extreme pressure spikes and gun warranty problems were the result. The factories chambering the Swift responded with larger than average chamber neck diameters (in the .260-.264 range) and the brass mfgs. thinned the necks in an attempt to get ahead of the issue. Of course, the real culprit was brass flowing forward due to the gentle shoulder angle combined with high pressures and relatively primitive loading/sizing practices (by today's standards).

For what it's worth, the Norma cases in my Swifts (I've had quite a few) would rattle the primer pockets loose pretty quickly. The Remington cases are better than you would think they might be. Hands down, the best cases I've found for the Swift are the WW Super if you can find them.

For what it's worth....

Good shootin'. -Al

Thanks Mr Nyhus for the history lesson It makes sense to me now!

when I got this 220 Swift Norma brass {4Yrs maybe 5yrs ago} I thought it was pretty thin necks compared to other brands of brass in the past I've used. they all have plenty of neck clearance I just assumed quality control issue.

I only size about 90% of the case neck length and a 52gr BIB's bullet just kiss'n the lands. Coyote's hate the hell out of it!

You are right about primer pockets loosening up!
    If I had to use this brass for competition it would not last through a day.

I'll Keep an eye out for some 220 swift Winchester brass.

Thanks
    Russ
    Last edited by R Stiner; 08-25-2021 at 09:52 AM.

You can find Winchester brass for your 220 Swift @ 0pticsplanet.

Mort

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    The virgin Norma 220 Swift cases on hand here measure an average of .0145. Later Winchester cases are close to .017 and the virgin Remington cases I have average .0160.

While that does seem thin for a production cartridge, there's a reason for this. The Swift had a reputation 'in the day' for extreme pressure spikes and gun warranty problems were the result. The factories chambering the Swift responded with larger than average chamber neck diameters (in the .260-.264 range) and the brass mfgs. thinned the necks in an attempt to get ahead of the issue. Of course, the real culprit was brass flowing forward due to the gentle shoulder angle combined with high pressures and relatively primitive loading/sizing practices (by today's standards).

For what it's worth, the Norma cases in my Swifts (I've had quite a few) would rattle the primer pockets loose pretty quickly. The Remington cases are better than you would think they might be. Hands down, the best cases I've found for the Swift are the WW Super if you can find them.

For what it's worth....

Good shootin'. -Al
    Al,
    Your points are well taken and I am in agreement with all of them. The Swift is a slightly different animal than most varmint cartridges. Those who neck size only often find themselves in trouble due to, as you point out, brass flowing forward. Bumping the shoulders .002 and or full length sizing every couple of firings seems to circumvent brass flow.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    You can find Winchester brass for your 220 Swift @ 0pticsplanet.

Mort
    Mort, FYI I checked and they list it as "backorderable" with "Extended backorder - unknown ETA."

Sorry about that. Will check around and see what's available....keeps me out of trouble.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 08-25-2021 at 01:05 PM.

I know this question is kind of hijacking the thread but it seemed like a good place to broach another question.

Does anyone have any load date for 220 Swift using Vihtavori N-540 and a 52 grain bullet?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by firearmsunlimit View Post
    i know this question is kind of hijacking the thread but it seemed like a good place to broach another question.

Does anyone have any load date for 220 swift using vihtavori n-540 and a 52 grain bullet?
    in ibs isnt the 2 gun lv and hv. Check out bob.

Sorry about the bum information. I haven't found anything that doesn't require a backorder, and even more so if you specify Winchester. There were some
    used cases that sold on Gun Broker last month. $35 for 60 cases. Will keep you in mind in case I stumble on something.

Mort