Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Rods?

Cleaning Rods?

Anyone using stainless steel or carbon fiber rod?

Stainless steel here for everything from .22 to .30

Dewey coated if it matters. Carbon fiber sounds cool, but at my age no reason to change. Got an old stainless hangin around yet.

bore tech coated..lots of them

I have heard that 'soft' coated rods such as carbon fibre can pick up abrasive residue ready to spread back into the bore.

Possibly one of the innernet rumours that abound on sites such as this. Who knows?

Given all that I find that a polished stainless steel rod works fine.

Using a decent bore guide and popping the patch off from the jag as soon as it exits the muzzle works for me.

* doggie *

It is a fact that coated rods are more flexible, especially the smaller calibers, than stainless and their coating is softer than stainless and apt to pick up abrasive. It is also a fact that coated rods delaminate at the ferrules and it is a fact that this is why I got rid of mine and went to stainless rods.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    How durable is the coating? I like the bore tech handles but Iíve been told the coating comes off easily so Iíve stuck with dewey.

Cleaning rods

Have a Dewey for years. Why won't they change to more user friendly handle ? It really sucks.

I have one of the carbon Tipton rods, but haven't gotten to use it yet.

inspite of poor replies here, the only coated rod i have issues with is a very long 22
    cal. all others are fine.
    i have some dewey's from earlier in life. they added more bearings and the handle is designed to clear a stock thru the groove in the handle.
    my opinion with those with issues on coated rods...they need to get better bore guides and learn how to clean without ruining a rod. using a ss rod just hides the errors of their cleaning issues.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Rob85 View Post
    How durable is the coating? I like the bore tech handles but Iíve been told the coating comes off easily so Iíve stuck with dewey.

Unhappy not me thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    Several years ago I purchased a couple of Bore Tech cleaning rods. After a short time they started to shed their coating. I called the company to complain. They blamed it on my use of Lucas metal bore guides claiming that the guides shaved the coating off. I checked the bore guides and found no burrs or sharp edges to justify their claims. I went back to Dewey rods and have had no problems since. I will never use another Bore Tech rod again. I like their cleaning solutions but not their rods.

Dewey rods work

well. Have used them for years. I also like the pro-shot polished stainless rods even better, just because that handle isn't so big.

Richard

Cleaning rods

After trying a multitude of rods I settled on one of Jerry Stiller's melonited, .187 diameter rods with a Mike Lucas bore guide. The bore guide has a bushing that fits the .187 rod perfectly. You measure your rod diameter and Mr. Lucas bores the bushing to fit.
    Last edited by penn63; 12-05-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Lucas bore guides

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    Several years ago I purchased a couple of Bore Tech cleaning rods. After a short time they started to shed their coating. I called the company to complain. They blamed it on my use of Lucas metal bore guides claiming that the guides shaved the coating off. I checked the bore guides and found no burrs or sharp edges to justify their claims. I went back to Dewey rods and have had no problems since. I will never use another Bore Tech rod again. I like their cleaning solutions but not their rods.
    Lucas bore guides are made of Acetal (AKA Delrin) not made of METAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    I bought Bore Tech rods when they came out, and after a short time the coating came off. I called them, they would not replace them. Never again. I have a pair of coated Dewey's that are close to 30 years old and the coating is still there.