Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic targets:

Electronic targets:

I watch a lad on YouTube who stated the other day he didn't like F class as much now that ranges are going to electronic targets and scoring systems. So I am wondering if the other shooting games are looking into electronic targets, say for Score and Group shooting? I assume they are pricey but haven't put any effort into finding out.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I watch a lad on YouTube who stated the other day he didn't like F class as much now that ranges are going to electronic targets and scoring systems. So I am wondering if the other shooting games are looking into electronic targets, say for Score and Group shooting? I assume they are pricey but haven't put any effort into finding out.

Pete
    I don't see the problem. It might not be perfect but it'll have fewer mistakes than a human being and we can still protest a score if need be. As you know, probably, ARA has been doing electronic scoring at bigger matches for several years.

Yes, I have seen that system

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I don't see the problem. It might not be perfect but it'll have fewer mistakes than a human being and we can still protest a score if need be. As you know, probably, ARA has been doing electronic scoring at bigger matches for several years.
    I know there are existing systems. A friend directed me to a site where one could watch the shots of Position shooters, shot by shot so it's out there. Many years ago now I shot in the big Chicken Barn and the targets were scored by a scanner. I think I still have those target cards and the accompanying photocopy of the scored image around somewhere. I guess where I'm going here is to have images of target cards to shoot at that would show up on a screen and the shots recorded where they struck on that imaginary image or something to that effect.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 08-07-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Manual (targets) Ballots

Pete
    I am only for manual (targets) ballots!!!

There is a current agenda item to be discussed during this year's NBRSA nationals to allow electronic backers to verify shots fired on the record target. There is a description and a few photos in the August issue of Precision Rifleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W View Post
    There is a current agenda item to be discussed during this year's NBRSA nationals to allow electronic backers to verify shots fired on the record target. There is a description and a few photos in the August issue of Precision Rifleman.
    Yes...page 4 of the latest issue. -Al

The agenda item was submitted by Dan Lutke who is the match director for our club Sloughhouse Benchrest Shooters. We have been using the Shotmarker system as electronic backers for all our group matches this year.
    Pete,
    If you scroll down about a page or so you will find a complete rundown on what we have been doing.
    Regards,
    Greg

As for group shooting, if I am not mistaken Harley Baker had worked on 1-2 electronic systems a few years ago but it proved very cost prohibitive in particular for larger venues.
    Last edited by tim; 08-08-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    As for group shooting, if I am not mistaken Harley Baker had worked on 1-2 electronic systems a few years ago but it proved very cost prohibitive in particular for larger venues.
    Tim,

If I am not mistaking that was to replace the type of moving backers that we use now.

I know there are existing systems. A friend directed me to a site where one could watch the shots of Position shooters, shot by shot so it's out there. Many years ago now I shot in the big Chicken Barn and the targets were scored by a scanner. I think I still have those target cards and the accompanying photocopy of the scored image around somewhere. I guess where I'm going here is to have images of target cards to shoot at that would show up on a screen and the shots recorded where they struck on that imaginary image or something to that effect.

Pete
    Not nearly accurate enough for benchrest. Up to 1/4 inch error with some wind blowing at 1000yds. Shotmarker is the most popular. Can of worms with Fclass shooters. Keeps an older person out of the pits pulling targets in the summer down south.
    Last edited by sdean; 08-08-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Rains View Post
    Tim,

If I am not mistaking that was to replace the type of moving backers that we use now.
    Yep, should have stated thatů.thanks.

"LoRa 900mhz RF to the firing line (433mhz in Europe)."

I really doubt he means "Milli Hertz" as he has written.
    0.9 Hz.
    MHz (Mega, millions) is most likely.
    900 Million Hz (cycles) per second.
    Such a simple error tends to call into question all of his other specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    "LoRa 900mhz RF to the firing line (433mhz in Europe)."

I really doubt he means "Milli Hertz" as he has written.
    0.9 Hz.
    MHz (Mega, millions) is most likely.
    900 Million Hz (cycles) per second.
    Such a simple error tends to call into question all of his other specifications.
    Like saying "..Hz (cycles) per second"?

Since Hz are already cycles per second, you have said "cycles per second per second..." which I suppose would be a measure of acceleration of frequency...

Probably a more egregious error than accidentally typing 'm' rather than 'M', particularly given the absolutely zero chance that Ultra Low Frequency is being used in this context.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    ...particularly given the absolutely zero chance that Ultra Low Frequency is being used in this context...
    Calling USS Nevada. Pls contact us via EHF to receive targeting package...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Like saying "..Hz (cycles) per second"?
    It was an attempt to make it clear for the less technically informed.
    mHz is a far more serious error.
    Only off by about 12 orders of magnitude.
    10^6 to 10^-6.