Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Extraction Issues

Remington 700 Extraction Issues

Since the previous thread about this issue isn't appearing I'll ask the gunsmiths a general question.

Does truing an action have any appreciable effect on the position [fore or aft] of the bolt handle which could affect primary extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Since the previous thread about this issue isn't appearing I'll ask the gunsmiths a general question.

Does truing an action have any appreciable effect on the position [fore or aft] of the bolt handle which could affect primary extraction?
    I would hope like hell that a smith wouldn't remove that much from the lug abbutments to cause a problem. Remember that most if not all 700s had a primary extraction from a misplaced bolt handle.
    Just got one back from Dan Armstrong and it is great.

It was mentioned to me by someone at a LGS that truing could make the problem worse. Just wondering what the experiences of those who true actions are.

Just got one back today myself. I was told by RG that it didn't have any primary extraction. Actually it was fine until I got to some stout loads and the cases wouldn't extract and I had to tap them out with a cleaning rod. I won't be using that particular load in the field, but if ever necessary I'd hate to have the need for a follow up shot bogged down by poor extraction.

It was mentioned to me by someone at a LGS that truing could make the problem worse. Just wondering what the experiences of those who true actions are.

Just got one back today myself. I was told by RG that it didn't have any primary extraction. Actually it was fine until I got to some stout loads and the cases wouldn't extract and I had to tap them out with a cleaning rod. I won't be using that particular load in the field, but if ever necessary I'd hate to have the need for a follow up shot bogged down by poor extraction.

I would send it to Dan, It ain't gonna get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I would hope like hell that a smith wouldn't remove that much from the lug abbutments to cause a problem. Remember that most if not all 700s had a primary extraction from a misplaced bolt handle.
    Just got one back from Dan Armstrong and it is great.
    I wonder if it's really that simple or some make it out to be harder to fix than it really is. I had one person tell me that they quit offering the service because it took more time than it was worth in order to do it right. Is it common to have timing issues after repositioning the handle?
    I had over 200 rounds through mine with just a couple of instances where the case failed to extract. When a smith works on one I expect that they probably run a standard case through it when they're done and if it extracts they call it good.

Anyway I went out this morning and shot a few rounds from a batch that had given me trouble a year ago. Everything worked slicker than snot on a doorknob so right now I'll consider the problem fixed.

I wonder if it's really that simple or some make it out to be harder to fix than it really is. I had one person tell me that they quit offering the service because it took more time than it was worth in order to do it right. Is it common to have timing issues after repositioning the handle?
    I had over 200 rounds through mine with just a couple of instances where the case failed to extract. When a smith works on one I expect that they probably run a standard case through it when they're done and if it extracts they call it good.

Anyway I went out this morning and shot a few rounds from a batch that had given me trouble a year ago. Everything worked slicker than snot on a doorknob so right now I'll consider the problem fixed.
    Great! I'm glad that you are happy.

Move the handle forward, rotate CCW as need, adjust the end of the tang to align the anti bind rail. It's simple when you've 1000's of them. I have a fixture to do all that. I still send them to Dan.

I'm with Butch!

Differn't strokes an' all that....... as a businessman I can't count the nights I've lain awake because "we've got a problem, we've got to talk" and I go over the job second by second all night only to meet at the site and find out that MY idea of a problem and THE CLIENT'S idea of a problem are miles apart!

I've got a Cooper with exactly ZERO primary extraction yet you'd never know it had a problem if you shoot factory ammo. I was gonna' pay large to fix it but realized, IT'S A COOPER FER CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!! When my kids sell it it'll be bought by some dude who'll puke a few cases of Varmint Gernades through it on the dogpatch and never even know it has a problem.

Ain't but a fraction of a percentile of people on the planet that run tightly sized cases, hot

I'm one...

I NEED my primary extraction cam to engage

Most don't

Any Remington 2 lug bolt is TIMED into Battery & NOT for Primary Extraction.

So, depending on handle vintage any Remington is .080" to .160" OUT of Primary Extraction TIMING.

Moving/repositioning the handle forward/closer to the rear receiver ring, is only ONE part of the FIVE part equation.

Removing material from the receiver lug abutments &/or aft surface of the bolt lugs during the truing/blueprint process will only make the issue worse.

10,000+ re-timed to date.

No my first Rodeo!!

So what is/are the consequence/s of not doing the other 4 steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Move the handle forward, rotate CCW as need, adjust the end of the tang to align the anti bind rail. It's simple when you've 1000's of them. I have a fixture to do all that. I still send them to Dan.
    LOL.... and I'm perty dern good at brazing and silver soldering but can I write my name on my thumbnail with a TIG???

nope

Dan can

How many smiths who build rifles based on Remington 700 actions actually fix [if they can] or send out bolt handle position and other related items [the 5 steps] as a part of the truing process? Is it always necessary? Also should it be done first thing or last thing?

How many smiths who build rifles based on Remington 700 actions actually fix [if they can] or send out bolt handle position and other related items [the 5 steps] as a part of the truing process? Is it always necessary? Also should it be done first thing or last thing?
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? And should they dance clackwise or widdershins?

"The number or percentage of people who do a thing" has no bearing on the rightness of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? And should they dance clackwise or widdershins?

"The number or percentage of people who do a thing" has no bearing on the rightness of the thing.
    That was damn informative. So what are the telltale signs that say Houston, we have a problem?

........... So what are the telltale signs that say Houston, we have a problem?
    When you, with your setup and your methods are having to tap the bolt open