Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheared pressure ring?

About the motorised case trimmer :

I am used to convert 5.56x45 or 223 to 5.45 x 39. Having an AK outshooting DanielDefenses and JPs AR15 in IPSC-R is quite a bit of fun.

This implies at one stage a heavy trimming, done with a piloted mill bit fitted on a drill press. In this operation, lot of chips and heavy burrs are created, outside and inside the neck.

It happens from time to time that I recover a "free" O'Ring shaped burr inside the case. That was an internal burr pushed down, cut to free and propelled inside the case during the trimming operation.

Furthermore, at manually cutting the internal burr, it happens that it get "on air" and pushed down by the deburring tool, and fall into the case. More often with the vld 30 deburring tool.

And what you are showing on the picture looks like .... you guess what.

Of course, should you have the same 10 cases batch shot 14 times already, the above doesn't stand. Should that occured using some new cases or some freshly trimmed cases ...

I also suppose there is no crimping. Crimp area separating from the neck also occured to me, several times.
    I also suppose there is no too long a neck, bumping on chamber end at bolt closing and creating both an undue crimp and a pressure bump, as you noticed nothing like that.

I have been in the ammo industry for years and I do not believe you had an issue with 1 jacket. What could have occured 15-20 years after manufacture is a brass seasonal crack, but I never saw it or heard about it on bullet jackets, which are usually not brass alloy.

Anyway, it's very easy to know if the material comes from a case or a jacket or several jackets. Have it microscoped, that will say if it is composite or homogeneous. Have it X ray chromatographied you will exactly know what it is made from. Maybe somebody in this community can do that. Any university with a metallurgic dept will enjoy the game.

Sorry for my poor english scratching your eyes. I am not on the right side of the pond but a way too old ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********ed to find a spell checker here. Neither did I knew you are used to chamber your barrels with all due precautions and borescope it on a regular basis all way down from chamber to crown.. As you wrote, just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil View Post

Sorry for my poor english scratching your eyes.
    please stop

#1 your english is better than many in America and
    #2 we don't care and
    #3 if someone DOES care..... ****'em

THANK YOU for your insightful posts, always

OP,
    As OliveOil stated.....

You de-burred a burr from inside of the case neck into the case.

Tumbling the cases would have removed it.

Loading & firing the case...removed it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    OP,
    As OliveOil stated.....

You de-burred a burr from inside of the case neck into the case.

Tumbling the cases would have removed it.

Loading & firing the case...removed it.
    I never realized that gunpowder and pressure turned brass into copper, and that trimming .002 off a case mouth can cause such a large burr.
    I learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rflshootr View Post
    I never realized that gunpowder and pressure turned brass into copper, and that trimming .002 off a case mouth can cause such a large burr.
    I learn something new every day.
    Would you please explain to me how one distinguishes "brass" from "copper"?

Color for one. Do your bullets look the same color as your cartridge cases to you?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    please stop

#1 your english is better than many in America and
    #2 we don't care and
    #3 if someone DOES care..... ****'em

THANK YOU for your insightful posts, always
    now now.... lets play nice Al ! LOL
    Last edited by shootsteady; 07-02-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rflshootr View Post
    Color for one. Do your bullets look the same color as your cartridge cases to you?
    Sounds like you have it all figured out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Sounds like you have it all figured out :-)
    what? that he has a brain, a heart or his way home ? It's a good thing guys are off to see the wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz !!! If I remember correctly, the Oz was a short little stubby of a guy standing on platform to reach the mic ! I better stop being a troll. otherwise I might get zapped.
    Last edited by shootsteady; 07-02-2022 at 10:18 PM.

As I understand it, Sierra passes its bullets through an additional die that irons out the pressure ring. They do this to make there bullets function better in automatic loading machines. This information was from a long time back, so you might want to ask them if it is still the case. Using my .0001 micrometer, I always check bullets' dimensions including any pressure ring, which gets tricky, but I have learned how to measure them without flattening.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    As I understand it, Sierra passes its bullets through an additional die that irons out the pressure ring. They do this to make there bullets function better in automatic loading machines. This information was from a long time back, so you might want to ask them if it is still the case. Using my .0001 micrometer, I always check bullets' dimensions including any pressure ring, which gets tricky, but I have learned how to measure them without flattening.
    He was using old bullets, not recent manufacture.

Shaving bullet when seating & crimping at the same time.

Standard seating die, that can crimp while seating.

A ring of lead can be shaved from a 45 acp cast bullet when seating and crimping at the same time, if there is a die problem.

On rifle, move the die up so case mouth is not hitting the crimp ring in the seat die. If using this die type??
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-10-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Standard seating die, that can crimp while seating.

A ring of lead can be shaved from a 45 acp cast bullet when seating and crimping at the same time, if there is a die problem.

On rifle, move the die up so case mouth is not hitting the crimp ring in the seat die. If using this die type??
    I use a sliding chamber type seater. No shaving is occurring that I can tell. Actually, the seating die was cut with the same chambering reamer.