Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey guys

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    I could be wrong but believe small bottles of Tabasco are packed IN MREs, or at least, used to be packed in them. Something about adding flavor to the "food".
    "MRE" - Meals Rejected by Everyone....
    MRE's made in the last ten yrs mostly have Tabasco IME

I'm not sure what the gag is, but I hang out with jarheads and no matter where they are when things get too cowboy it's like "hang on a minnit, let me empty my pockets."...... it's always Tabasco

Anyone who can use a term like "Meals Rejected by Everyone" has never been hungry

Adding flavor

I could be wrong but believe small bottles of Tabasco are packed IN MREs, or at least, used to be packed in them. Something about adding flavor to the "food".
    We got mini bottles of hot sauce (separately)to add flavor to some of the meal items in C-Rations in 1966-67.
    Some liked the Cs without the hot sauce. Different strokes,different folks.
    I got just about every seasoning you can think of ,in my pantry. Including several bottles of hot sauce.
    When,on occasion I go out to a high end restaurant, I take a mini bottle of hot sauce,to add flavor to my menu selection.😀

Glenn

Id be very selective of who Id be locked up with for half an atomic life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony39 View Post
    My uncle said during WWII he just about lived on Spam while fighting in Europe. As one who has eaten Spam and powdered eggs, it ain't bad if that is all you have. Spam is easily handled and you can buy by the truck load if need be.
    My good pal Stan Ware told me this 'Spam Story':

Stan lived in Windom, Mn. and was drafted into the Army and went to Viet Nam. Also in Windom was a company that had an Army contract for packaging the C-rats. On his first day in-country, he opened his C-rats and there was the Spam...which is made in Austin, Mn. On the package was name of the place in Windom that packaged it.

"Jeezus, Nyhus....I got shipped 8,000 miles to eat crap made an hour an half from where I live and packaged 5 minutes from my house!"
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 07-01-2022 at 12:27 PM.

I could be wrong but believe small bottles of Tabasco are packed IN MREs, or at least, used to be packed in them. Something about adding flavor to the "food".er
    Guys used to steal Tabasco from the mess hall to use on the " C Rations ". Nothing in there to cover the taste but you got a little pack of cigarettes which was a good trade item.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 06-30-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    MRE's made in the last ten yrs mostly have Tabasco IME

I'm not sure what the gag is, but I hang out with jarheads and no matter where they are when things get too cowboy it's like "hang on a minnit, let me empty my pockets."...... it's always Tabasco

Anyone who can use a term like "Meals Rejected by Everyone" has never been hungry
    I ate the dickens out of them when my father in law turned me on to some years ago... I wasn't famished but I could use a bite. Darn good stuff and they were from the 80's eatin em in 2000's. I liked them so much I got a case cheap from a reservists wife 20 bucks. Haven't bought any for awhile.... don't hooch hunt no more so I just eat soft granola bars and jerky so deer don't hear me eatin !

Rotate Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelReg77 View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation on survival foods?

Here is my list:
    Honey, peanut butter, beans and rice. So I keep 10 gallons of beans and approx. 10 of rice. Other niceties include dehydrated egg yolks, hamburger and milk. I also have MRE's and other meals in a freezer. If you need antibiotics you can cross reference fish antibiotics as they are human grade. I've been into survival longer (reading survival gear reviews) than any other focus so much I secretly wish for a catastrophe just to rotate stock.
    Fix up a batch and bring it out to a BENCHREST match near you. Preferably the matches where they dont provide lunch.😀

I was at Costco the other day and saw this. $56.00 for a bucket of meals.
    Note the shelf life.

Glenn

I have a neighbor couple that are semi-preppers....he's fairly laid back but she's super serious and a bit of a doom and gloom type.

She was showing me their stock of supplies and I asked if she had any dehydrated water. She gave me a "Huh?" look.

I told it was pretty cool stuff...you just add water to it to make water. -Al

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-07-01_091716 (2).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	25572

This guy was the driver of our prime mover for the 105 Howitzer. He was a fun and laidback guy who could less about conforming. He never went to the brig but made Pvt 3 times. On a four-year enlistment you might have enough time to accomplish that.

I took this picture in 1960 but can't say where it was.....anyway Pvt Sharp is about to eat a John Wayne Cracker fresh from a C ration tin left over from the Korean War. You really had to man up and have good teeth to eat one of these things. I know a guy who chipped a tooth and had to go see a Navy dentist. These young officers were fresh out of dental school and got practice on you.

What the hell...it was free.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 07-03-2022 at 07:10 PM.