Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Bolt handle re-location

yahhh shuure, ain't dat da' trut' hey.......but don't leave oud't da' Nord'Viggians!! Dem T'urdy-For'dy Kragk's is tslipperier 'dan fresh snot on a brass doorknob eh an' dere a'stractors don't NEVER blow off!!

and FAST???? Whee....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4_g6N3aLA

uff-da

And TOADally off the subject (don't watch if that matters to you) is Miss Super Jenny at about 27min in this video.... I post this only because I'm somewhat Finn and it's completely against the rules for me to post anything not SISU-driven. Downright awful to talk up anything Norse....

That said, a good girl on a bolt action will thrash on the semi-auto boys day-in/day-out LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQ-H_IKzec

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    GeneT
    Dan, is that any Sako extractor conversion? I've wondered about them, but you're in a position to see many more than I ever will...
    GsT

Gene,not any SAKO extractor modification...only improperly machined SAKO extractor mod'ed bolt bodies.

Wayne Shaw
    Gene, I may be wrong, but Dan looks like he is targeting a bolt where the installer bored the pivot hole through the body, not just the amount needed for the extractor to function. I'm a little curious about this, since some actions/bolts (not necessarily Remington) have vent holes in them. Could it be he fears gasses forced into the bolt body could dislodge the Sako extractor?

I'm curious too.

Wayne,
    You hit the nail on the head, per se.
    Using a drill bit to penetrate the bolt body tube wall instead of the proper tooling, an end mill to machine a counter bore w/o thru penetration.

No,I do/will not plug/weld & re-machine improperly machined bolts.....but will gladly run said bolt thru a chop saw a few times to take it out of circulation.

alinwa,
    There's a reason Sako bolts have a sliding/rotating shield in place to block the extractor from floating out and sliding gently through your optical meatus to rest beside your basal ganglia.

Yes, & never underestimate the Fin's or Swede's engineering abilities.
    If I'm understanding this correctly, this video is an example of "what not to do"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXfBNO2fxfc

I just added a reply

to that youtube suggesting it is improper to drill through a Rem 700 bolt to install a Sako extractor and explained why. I have two of them, done by different Gunsmiths who drilled right on through. There is a much bigger hole a few degrees away done in the factory for venting I am presuming. I have witnessed an extractor being blown out so I know it is a reality. The problem comes for the poor consumer who pays to have the work done and then is stuck with something that is potentially unsafe. I'm gonna fix mine and learn to re-time my own bolt. It's the only way out for me that I can easily see. My rifle is a competition rifle so I need the bolt to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    . . . . . . .There is a much bigger hole a few degrees away done in the factory for venting I am presuming. . . . . . . .
    From this am I to presume that you believe the "unsafe" part has to do with "wekening the bolt??" Cuz it AIN'T!

You can (people do) drill lightening holes all over your bolt, the pressure is taken by the lugs,

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    From this am I to presume that you believe the "unsafe" part has to do with "wekening the bolt??" Cuz it AIN'T!

You can (people do) drill lightening holes all over your bolt, the pressure is taken by the lugs,
    On the other hand, if you plug those holes with shrapnel, or, say, a Sako extractor, it could become unsafe - nothing to do with the bolt itself failing.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    On the other hand, if you plug those holes with shrapnel, or, say, a Sako extractor, it could become unsafe - nothing to do with the bolt itself failing.

GsT

No,

I didn''t believe the bolt was unsafe and why I won't cut it up. As I've said, I did witness a Sako extractor blowing out of a bolt on one occasion so I know it is a reality. The extractor was contained in the action so it didn't plow out of the action and he found the parts and put it back together. I have a mill so I can plug the hole and mill a pocket. I can also go talk to a friend who is a trained Armorer and expert welder and likely he will weld the handle on for me, once I figger I have the bolt timed. Can't be rocket science, can it? All in a young man's life

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    ........Can't be rocket science, can it? All in a young man's life

Pete
    OK, agreed.... and worth it just for the adventure I guess

When one is down to

OK, agreed.... and worth it just for the adventure I guess
    the only game in town, one must do what one must do.

Pete

Pete, as I explained in my PM to you....there is another approach. -Al

I saw that

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Pete, as I explained in my PM to you....there is another approach. -Al
    but couldn't quite get a mental picture as to how to do it. DO you mean drill the bolt handle or action?

Pete

Pete...like Kelbly's does on their aluminum bodied actions. -Al

Not my work but it functions Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BCD9A45-CE4D-493B-A6EF-1CA97FB0F68F.jpeg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	25491

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Not my work but it functions Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BCD9A45-CE4D-493B-A6EF-1CA97FB0F68F.jpeg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	25491
    That's the general idea...a piece of Grade 8 round profiled to match the root of the bolt handle and extending rearward of the original cam angle cut on the receiver. -Al