Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12L14 Holee Kowww

12L14 Holee Kowww

I bought a stick of 3" diameter 12L14 to make brakes..... I've latest only been using it to make mandrels for neck turning, hadn't really "got into" any of it lately as in hogging and milling removing bulk material. WOW.... I think it's easier/faster than aluminum! Man this stuff machines sweet, like carving cheese.

You turning 3" stock down for neck mandrels?

Something is missing from the story, Wayne.

Before moving to stainless, 12L14 is what L.E. Wilson used for decades for their bullet seating and neck sizing dies. Made tweaking or modifying them a breeze.

Good shootin' -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Before moving to stainless, 12L14 is what L.E. Wilson used for decades for their bullet seating and neck sizing dies. Made tweaking or modifying them a breeze.

Good shootin' -Al
    Last I checked (it *has* been a while) the same was true with CH/4D.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Last I checked (it *has* been a while) the same was true with CH/4D. GsT
    Gene, having never used their stuff, I'm not sure.

I know there's an old set in my drawer marked 'Misc. Dies'....will dig them out for a gawk. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Shaw View Post
    You turning 3" stock down for neck mandrels?
    No I was unclear.... I keep sticks of 3/8 and 1/2 for that and 1" and 1.5" for dies
    The 3" is specifically for a set of big brake prototypes

BTW Wally Siebert claimed there is a way to harden and temper dies from 12L14 such that they shrink a thou, consistently.

I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Gene, having never used their stuff, I'm not sure.

I know there's an old set in my drawer marked 'Misc. Dies'....will dig them out for a gawk. -Al
    About a bazillion years ago, I ended up with a small cottage industry converting their "standard" (7/8"-14) shellholder to work on the Hollywood Sr. reloading press.

The owners of Hollywood were very much "over-promise and under-deliver" as well as being fairly useless to those ordering their wares. Many are the folks that ordered a press for reloading .50 BMG without realizing that the Hollywood press required a proprietary shellholder - something the owners should have, but never did, mention to purchasers. In any case, most purchasers, having waited 12-1000 times longer than they were initially told, were reluctant to order a shellholder from Hollywood just to begin the trail of lies, excuses, and broken promises again. I had purchased a CH/4D shellholder and converted it for my Hollywood press, and having posted such online, a cottage industry was born... I made no money - I was just helping people like me that Joe and Margaret had under-serviced and ripped off. It was a sad state of affairs, and a significant departure from most shooter-run businesses with which I have dealt.

In any case, it was very welcome information from CH/4D that they used 12L14 because it is delightful to machine and made pretty easy work of things.

GsT

I was at a machine tool trade show many years ago and found that the exhibiters were using 12L14 for there demo material. Made the machines look like the fastest cutting things out there.

It's called free machining for a reason.

I have been using 12L14 for years and Newlon also uses it for their die blanks.

https://newlonprecision.com/

The L in 12L14 stands for lead. That's why it cuts so nice and also why it isn't as popular as it used to be.

Question Al N..........

Aren't most factory rings and bases made from 12L14??

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
    Aren't most factory rings and bases made from 12L14?? Kevin
    I don't know, Kevin.

Having whittled a fair number of rings/bases when needed, it seems that stuff is all over the place even among the same mfg. The exception is Leupold...their stuff always cuts the same.

Hope all is well. -Al