Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom...... Full length dies

Quote Originally Posted by shootsteady View Post
    hardened... heat treated hardened, I take it.
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    yes, you can. I've been arguing with John since the day he opened shop. But right now, today, I can and do send him drawings with exactly the numbers I want on them and he hits them. Basically I do less than half of the sizing effect that he calls for, and IMO setting the shoulder back two thou is absurd. I go for a half a thou of shoulders set back if I'm shooting the rounds immediately and a thou if the cases will set for days/weeks. His dies are also hardened now, this is huge. Un-hardened dies are an abomination
    Any suggestions to go below .002 shoulder set back? I'm probably missing something. My bolt handle is to stiff for me below that.
    Last edited by shootsteady; 04-09-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Any suggestions to go below .002 shoulder set back? I'm probably missing something. My bolt handle is to stiff for me below that.
    In your situation I believe you are stuck..... if it were me I'd pull the barrel and hone the rear of the chamber out a thou or so but I'm not normal. I believe in attacking the root of a thing. And the ROOT of the thing is that your die doesn't fit your chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    In your situation I believe you are stuck..... if it were me I'd pull the barrel and hone the rear of the chamber out a thou or so but I'm not normal. I believe in attacking the root of a thing. And the ROOT of the thing is that your die doesn't fit your chamber.
    With your die, do you still have to adjust the die to set back shoulders ?

I use a Redding FL body die. I use a feller gauge and my Hornady HS gauge reads what how much I set the shoulder back to. The gauge Whidden sends you with your die, are they more reliable than Hornady's gauge?

Off the shelf dies...aren't shoulder angle specific, the shoulders aren't quite cut right to set the case shoulder back correctly ? Am I warm at all ?
    Last edited by shootsteady; 04-10-2022 at 09:31 AM.

is it important to have a case head fit snug when in a seater die ?
    The case head to shell holder 'play' allows for better self centering of the case as it is fed into the die.