Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the most accurate factory rifle you've owned?

cool beans

Alinwa -

Curious as to what your barrel spec's are, for the heavy gun ?

Are you intending to bolt the " stock " together ?

Will your rifle be configured as a rifle, or..... more as a quasi rail gun ?

I do enjoy reading about projects like this.

With regards,
    357Mag

I'm building a 50BMG hunting rifle. I'ma try keep it under 15lb with scope but definitely under 20....... I will be documenting it on my youtube channel.

I've been gathering parts for near 15yrs.....the only thing I'm missing is the brake, trying to decide do I weld one up?? Or buy one?..... "time ta' get after it Duddles!!"

50 cal.

What do ya need a brake for? Eat your wheaties and shoot the non kickin varmint rifle. What is the recoil on it? Over a hundred lbs? I wouldnt shoot it with 10 brakes on it. I aint as tough as I used to be. Doug

170ftlb, it could kill you if you screw up.

I take it very seriously

50 cal

We could hear them shooting them for accuracy , from our 7.62 building , over a mile away and they sounded like they were in the backyard. Doug

.50 brakes

Mark Serbu's "Shark Brake" is about the best thing going, imo. Very effective at managing .50 recoil in "light" guns. The K&P Clamshell brake (imitated by Armalite on their .50) is very effective, but gi-normous and unfriendly to cases, bags, etc.

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    We could hear them shooting them for accuracy , from our 7.62 building , over a mile away and they sounded like they were in the backyard. Doug
    One my 4-place concrete benches is about 100yds off to the side of the kitchen window. Sometimes when a group of guys is using it I'll drive one of my 20ft boxvans alongside to eliminate sound to the house. One day !PUNGGG!.... my wife looks up "honey, would you mind moving the box truck over???"

"ummm, well, about that......"

!PUNGGG!

"It's alrea" !PUNGGG! !PUNGGG!!PUNG!!!PUNGGGG! !PUNGGG!!

"maybe I'll jus"!PUNGGG!

2 AR's and a Barrett bellied down in the yard

Yeahhhh, they do make theyselves known some.

50 cal.

Those rifles they shot for accuracy at the range didnt look guns just little short barrels and an action. Tested them 600 yds. for accuracy. They might of had M2s down where they shot them for function. Never was down there. I could hear an old M2 chuggin along somewhere though. Doug

need to change the title of the thread....movin on

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    my thread, I don't care where it goes

Kevin

Yes I'd love to see pictures of your 35 Remington

I don't even know what a CVA "Hunter" is but that makes no nevermind, this way I'll learn and I don't believe it'll scare any "accurate factory rifle" guys off.

The entire "factory rifle" moniker can change to "rifles made with factory and found parts" and it's no skin off my back...... IMO threads are like discussions. You might start by talking about bass fishing and end up comparing motorcycles I DON'T CARE!!

I enjoy the conversation, I come from a place and time where people got together to "visit"

We still do

no rules

Cva

Aliwnwa -

Howdy, again !

The rifle I refer to is a top break single shot offered by CVA. Mine is chambered in .35 Remington, is not their stainless model; and came w/ the factory-offered black
    plastic stock & fore end. I like the rifle better than .357Max H & R SB2 Ultrra Rifle I used to have.

I $$$ the CVA so that I could migrate my .35 Remington accuracy work over from the Marlin; now that I'veproven how well my Marlin M-336 can shoot.
    One of my experimens has been load work shooting my " wildcat " ........ " .35 Remington neckless " . For the " neckless", I really wanted a breechloader, because that is how I shoot the " neckless " wildcat.

I lop the neck off a .35 Rem case, and use a die to tamp the shoulder down to a new wider shoulder; that has a .308" calibre hole in the center. I do this because......
    The bullet I'm shooting is a .350" diam swaged lead SPBT, that features a plastic aerodynamic cap on it; which covers the central hollow point cavity. A capped HPBT ?
    I pulled the swaged lead bullets from a pack of .45" calibre saboted muzzle loader rounds. Bullet wt is 195gr ( un-patched )

I " patch " the bullet using DYMO self-stick nylon label maker tape. In the -336 I inserted the parched bullet into the breech using a ( #8 ? ) " Torx " L-shapped wrench which was fitted w/ a length of thick walled plastic drinking straw. The bullet's tapered BT is held by the hollow plastic slideable sleveve; and the bullet seated
    " tool " is used to seat the bullet via access through the eject port. The charged case (w/ a small tuft of tissue inside to retain the powder ) is then introduce to the action's carrier by inserting it through the eject port.

Upon closing the actoin, the charged case slides fwd into battery. As it advances fwd, the taped BT of the bullet self-guides. The cartridge is fully seated when its bullet makes not only contact w/ the rifling..... but also w/ the small overhanging portion of the bullet' body immediatelyy above the BT. Case length and shoulder angle both contribute to proper seating forces used to fully-integrate the entire cartridge inside the chamber. Headsapce is also thusly addressed.

The CVA single shot by design gives great acceess and veiwing angles to the breech end of the barrel. This was a great inducement for using the CVA for
    " .35 Remington neckless " load / range work.

I am adding significant wt to the rifle, as a means towards recoil reduction. I'll send some pics of my CVA rifle, which I have integrated inside a " quad rail ", and have afixed a bi-pod to.

With regards,
    Kevin 357Mag

hijack

Alinwa, I wasnt tryin to hijack ya. Were just talking. I dont get up and walk out of the room because somebody changes subjects when Im talking to people. I was stating my limited experience with the 50 cal. Which aint much. Please accept my apology for the hijack. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    DOUG, Doug, Doug....... NO SUCH THING AS a hijack, I was referring to this post by rsmithsr about "changing the title of the thread"

I do this for FUN, to LEARN and to relax while spend time visiting with like-minded-people. I'm not sure what rsmithsr was saying but it seemed to be he was chastising someone for something and I'm here to say I DON'T CARE WHERE A THREAD GOES!!!

No need to apologize on my account Doug...... thanks for joining in

Thanks, buddy