Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The World's Most accurate Rimfire Rifle!!!!

No doubt Mike and Black Death have been a very successful team over a number of years…

Tom

Records: For a single 6 card agg I believe it is Phil Dorman's 2491.67. The nats are a single 6 card agg. For a season, it is Chuck Morrell's 2403.7162. Depending on your criteria for determining "The most accurate rifle" either of these would be a better fit than black death that holds the nats record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry H View Post
    Records: For a single 6 card agg I believe it is Phil Dorman's 2491.67. The nats are a single 6 card agg. For a season, it is Chuck Morrell's 2403.7162. Depending on your criteria for determining "The most accurate rifle" either of these would be a better fit than black death that holds the nats record.
    Jerry,

Calfee's claim was made in 2008 long before the accomplishments of Chuck or Phils.

As for what is the current "World's most accurate RFBR rifle" many could claim that title depending on the criteria used.

I don't think we will ever know if Calfee was right when he made the claim or is it still true today.

Chucks stories need to be told one day. It is certainly inspirational for anyone having sight difficulties. I just can't figure out how to write it.

Chuck takes no quarter nor gives any quarter. I would hate to say anything that he may take exception to.

You mentioned Phil Dorman's 6 card agg. of 2491.67. That is an amazing agg. As I recall, it came right out of the blue.

Could you share other details about the rifle and its history?

TKH (4628)
    Last edited by tonykharper; 01-29-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Phil's single agg was 2491.67. I think you mistyped. I don't know Phil or anything about his rifle. The rumor was that he shot it with the identical lot of Midas+ that Chuck was using at the time. There are times when everything just comes together. The long term performance of a rifle/barrel is more indicative of how "great" something is/was. Black death could still be the best if one looked at the multi year scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry H View Post
    Phil's single agg was 2491.67. I think you mistyped. I don't know Phil or anything about his rifle. The rumor was that he shot it with the identical lot of Midas+ that Chuck was using at the time. There are times when everything just comes together. The long term performance of a rifle/barrel is more indicative of how "great" something is/was. Black death could still be the best if one looked at the multi year scores.
    Jerry,

You are right I mis typed. Can't even blame auto correct.

I don't think what is the "Most Accurate RFBR in the World " even matters much.

It is all in what happens on the day, and as you said, day after day after day.

Anything can happen once in RFBR.

Perhaps that is what keeps us coming back we know, or at least hope, any day could be our day.

I have heard of very old position rifles still performing. You just don't often see it in RFBR.

TKH (4628)
    Last edited by tonykharper; 01-29-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Hi Tony,

You're right, too many variables to determine the best rifle ever. With the difference in shooter ability, ammo, and conditions there is just no way.
    Even the best shooters have good and bad days. I've beat Harry Deneen a handful of times, hell, I even beat Tony Harper a couple times. We just won't mention the 896 times they've beat me.

It should be acknowledged that there are some very good shooting Calfee rifles out there. When I inquired about a build around 2000 he didn't seem interested in working for a no name like myself. Back then 250's were rare, you could win with a 249 or even a 248. Shooters, rifles and ammo have all improved since then.

You must have missed out on shooting at Tuckertown barn. That was an experience, dirt. dust, drafts, and a homemade wood stove just behind the benches made for an interesting time.

Ken Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTwo View Post
    Hi Tony,

You're right, too many variables to determine the best rifle ever. With the difference in shooter ability, ammo, and conditions there is just no way.
    Even the best shooters have good and bad days. I've beat Harry Deneen a handful of times, hell, I even beat Tony Harper a couple times. We just won't mention the 896 times they've beat me.

It should be acknowledged that there are some very good shooting Calfee rifles out there. When I inquired about a build around 2000 he didn't seem interested in working for a no name like myself. Back then 250's were rare, you could win with a 249 or even a 248. Shooters, rifles and ammo have all improved since then.

You must have missed out on shooting at Tuckertown barn. That was an experience, dirt. dust, drafts, and a homemade wood stove just behind the benches made for an interesting time.

Ken Henderson
    Ken,

I never got to the Tuckertown barn but I'm sure it was a far cry from the purpose-built facilities we have available today.

I'm also sure the fun was just the same.

Good hearing from you.

TKH (4628)

tuckertown, circa 2008
    this was THE indoor spot prior to rocky river coming into existence.
    rocky river is roughly 30 minutes south

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuckertown.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	25218

Quote Originally Posted by frey View Post
    tuckertown, circa 2008
    this was THE indoor spot prior to rocky river coming into existence.
    rocky river is roughly 30 minutes south

Name:	tuckertown.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	25218
    Sure doesn't look like this:

Name:	Kettlefoot indoor.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	25219

TKH (4628)

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    Sure doesn't look like this:

Name:	Kettlefoot indoor.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	25219

TKH (4628)
    Yea, no where else does either. Over on our side of the world it is much more like the top pic, maybe a little more rustic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stiller View Post
    Yea, no where else does either. Over on our side of the world it is much more like the top pic, maybe a little more rustic yet.
    Wow! What happened to Chicken foot? I haven't been there in a while, but it was pretty nice last time I was there. Perhaps you are speaking of the ranges a little further west?

You probably remember the plastic sheeting on the top windows at the barn in NC. When the wind blew the plastic would either blow out or suck in.

You had to decide which condition you wanted to shoot. But I still remember having a great time shooting there.

TKH (4628)

Phil Dorman is a darn good guy!! A Cop in the myrtle Beach area (probably retired by now), he is as honest as the DAY IS LONG. He is a journey man shooter, who enjoys the shooting & being around other shooters. I expect he hit on a lot of ammo his rifle loved, & knew what to do with his good luck!! He is one of the guys I miss, since I've drifted away from competition. I think he was shooting a pretty old rifle. NOT A CALFEE

Quote Originally Posted by glynn angle View Post
    Phil Dorman is a darn good guy!! A Cop in the myrtle Beach area (probably retired by now), he is as honest as the DAY IS LONG. He is a journey man shooter, who enjoys the shooting & being around other shooters. I expect he hit on a lot of ammo his rifle loved, & knew what to do with his good luck!! He is one of the guys I miss, since I've drifted away from competition. I think he was shooting a pretty old rifle. NOT A CALFEE
    Glynn,

I heard Phil was shooting a Time Precision rifle with the original Shilen barrel that came on the rifle.

Can you confirm that?

If that is true, it is another one of those things that could only happen in RFBR.

TKH (4628)

Tony, I heard the same thing. I don't think he is the type of guy to chase the LATEST & GREATEST. All the best to you. I hope you are well, or better. Glynn

A few pics of the range out behind Phil Dorman's house in Green Sea, SC
    One of my most favorite places to shoot anywhere.
    Some may recognize a couple of the fellas in the first pic.

Name:	DSC_0048.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	25221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0051.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	25222