Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closing cam

Tony, what I'm saying is that tight fit mean almost nothing.... I have Borden actions with .0015 clearance and Kelbly's that. are on the fat side of ,0035 and they both shoot in the zero's at 100. there are more important factors than that.... Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim1K View Post
    Tony, what I'm saying is that tight fit mean almost nothing.... I have Borden actions with .0015 clearance and Kelbly's that. are on the fat side of ,0035 and they both shoot in the zero's at 100. there are more important factors than that.... Jim
    Jim,

I certainly would not argue that the fit of the bolt is the most important thing for centerfire or rimfire actions.

I was simply pointing out that how a rifle's bolt operates has an effect on shooter's performance. Many rimfire actions are not as smooth as most custom centerfire actions.

Many require one to use their thumb to push the bolt forward enough to close the bolt. I don't recall ever having or seeing a centerfire action require that.

There is no reason rimfire actions can't be made to operate as smooth as centerfire actions.

It may be a small crumb, but one that can and should be dealt with.

Thank you for bringing your experience to the discussion. It is refreshing that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

TKH (4628)

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    Jim,

I certainly would not argue that the fit of the bolt is the most important thing for centerfire or rimfire actions.

I was simply pointing out that how a rifle's bolt operates has an effect on shooter's performance. Many rimfire actions are not as smooth as most custom centerfire actions.

Many require one to use their thumb to push the bolt forward enough to close the bolt. I don't recall ever having or seeing a centerfire action require that.

There is no reason rimfire actions can't be made to operate as smooth as centerfire actions.

It may be a small crumb, but one that can and should be dealt with.

Thank you for bringing your experience to the discussion. It is refreshing that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

TKH (4628)
    I'm not sure that's true....Aren't many people setting up chambers to engrave rf bullets by a lot..like .130"ish? That's not a possibility with a jacketed cf bullet and I'm not sure that getting enough camming to close that much..effortlessly, is possible. But it's calculable, if anyone wants to to some trig. I just walked in and poured a drink. I'm out for trig.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I'm not sure that's true....Aren't many people setting up chambers to engrave rf bullets by a lot..like .130"ish? That's not a possibility with a jacketed cf bullet and I'm not sure that getting enough camming to close that much..effortlessly, is possible. But it's calculable, if anyone wants to to some trig. I just walked in and poured a drink. I'm out for trig.
    That is timing, to close smoothly, but to engrave one .130 seems a bit much to me..... Seems most rimfire guys don't talk about firing pin travel or spring tension at the cocked height or even timing... Jim