Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stuck barrel

stuck barrel

Hi ,

I had purchased this used gun this past summer. It is a bat 3lug action in a scarbourough stock. I just recently tried to take off the barrel with my action wrench and it won't budge. I do not want to force it and damage the action. I expect the action will need to be unglued for any work that would need to be done. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks and Have a Happy New Year!

Bill McIntyre

It could be as simple as more force is needed. Or the absolute worst case the threads are galled and will require the removal of the action, barrel cut off and the tenon bored out of the action. Then the action treads cleaned up. Until the barrel rotates a bit my guess is more force is needed.

Is there a chance of contacting the previous owner and find out how much torque was used?

might try warming it up real good with a hair dryer or similar. there might be some type of lock tight on the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    might try warming it up real good with a hair dryer or similar. there might be some type of lock tight on the threads.
    this will bugger the bedding

Thanks for you input. I believe the person who owned the gun passed away so there is no way of knowing what torque inch pounds were used. I purchased the gun from Bob White at Shooters Corner. I read some previous posts on this subject and to be on the safe side, I will be taking the gun to my gunsmith Jeff Peinhardt. I was able to get a hold of him later this morning. I hope it is not galled, but I will let him look at it and see what can be done. I always put some grease on my barrel tenon's and never had this kind of a problem.

On the bright side, it's better to find out about this problem now rather then during the match season.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill McIntyre

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
    I always put some grease on my barrel tenon's and never had this kind of a problem.

Bill McIntyre
    Anti seize works better than simple grease.

Some actions are designed to have a limited interference fit of barrel to action.
    Threads are forced until they deform at least slightly.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 02-04-2022 at 01:55 PM.

I don't agree about anti-sieze being "better". Anti-sieze has large particles of (AL, CU, etc) in it which build up on the action face and abutting surface.... that said, I do use lead-based (illegal) in situations where I'd like to bulk back a little on my timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
    Thanks for you input. I believe the person who owned the gun passed away so there is no way of knowing what torque inch pounds were used. I purchased the gun from Bob White at Shooters Corner. I read some previous posts on this subject and to be on the safe side, I will be taking the gun to my gunsmith Jeff Peinhardt. I was able to get a hold of him later this morning. I hope it is not galled, but I will let him look at it and see what can be done. I always put some grease on my barrel tenon's and never had this kind of a problem.

On the bright side, it's better to find out about this problem now rather then during the match season.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill McIntyre
    Bill, I was going to mention what worked for me on one. I squirted Kroil all around the tenon from inside the action, then positioned the barrelled action vertically (action up) and waited. After about 24 hrs, there was a slight dampness around the action face. The barrel came loose normally after that.

Will be interesting to see what your 'smith comes up with...make sure and let us know.

Good shootin'. -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-04-2022 at 08:54 AM.

I recently had this happen to a barrel/action that I did the work on and did the initial tightening to the action. Still can't figure out how it happened as I have done a fair number with no issues, but obviously too much torque was the culprit: see next

Friend of mine suggested chucking the barrel in the lathe, and using a cut-off tool about .010 in front of the action plunge in to root diameter. This worked like a charm by releasing the pressure on the shoulder, and didn't have to bore out the tenon.
    Hope all turns out well with yours and no boring needed.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by savet06 View Post

Friend of mine suggested chucking the barrel in the lathe, and using a cut-off tool about .010 in front of the action plunge in to root diameter. This worked like a charm by releasing the pressure on the shoulder, and didn't have to bore out the tenon.
    Hope all turns out well with yours and no boring needed.
    Mike
    I have used that method many times to remove old barrels from old military actions. The P14 and P17 Enfields were the biggest culprits. I think that thru the years they rusted into place.

Galling is a real thing, but if it didn't move at all, galling is likely not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I don't agree about anti-sieze being "better". Anti-sieze has large particles of (AL, CU, etc) in it which build up on the action face and abutting surface.... that said, I do use lead-based (illegal) in situations where I'd like to bulk back a little on my timing.
    That depends on the type of anti-seize.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    That depends on the type of anti-seize.
    well, true... but then the anti-sieze is just grease

All of this is why I use outside action wrenches. With a real wrench ain't NUTTIN' stuck!!

But it don't work with glue-ins....obviously

Hi,

I dropped the gun off with Jeff P yesterday. He had a few ideas which might work before going with drastic measures.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks for all of your insight and suggestions.

One thing I learned from the experience is this. Beside using my bore scope to check the barrel, I will ask the owner if they have to tools to remove the barrel so I can check the action and threads. That would have saved me all of this grief!

Bill McIntyre