Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 1899 Savage Bolts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    168

    1899 Savage Bolts

    I have heard that the 99 Savage has selective bolts for fitting purposes. You Gentlemen have any information? I was gifted a Takedown 1899 built in 1913 with a bit of headspace.
    Thanks Clarence.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    820
    what caliber ?? cartridge
    Quote Originally Posted by cdupuy View Post
    I have heard that the 99 Savage has selective bolts for fitting purposes. You Gentlemen have any information? I was gifted a Takedown 1899 built in 1913 with a bit of headspace.
    Thanks Clarence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    what caliber ?? cartridge
    22 Savage High Power.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,603

    Takedown?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdupuy View Post
    I have heard that the 99 Savage has selective bolts for fitting purposes. You Gentlemen have any information? I was gifted a Takedown 1899 built in 1913 with a bit of headspace.
    Thanks Clarence.
    Old Takedown 99's can get worn and this could contribute to excess headspace. I have tightened a couple of them up, over the years. The last one had flat threads that were stretched quite badly.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    820
    could the male threads be electro plated to reduce the "gap"..
    just thinking out loud

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,603

    Perhaps:

    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    could the male threads be electro plated to reduce the "gap"..
    just thinking out loud
    One of the cures has been to wrap string and the like around the male thread but it shoots loose quite readily. The most recent one I did I peened the threads back toward their original shape. and that tightened it up. The owner did not plan to fire the rifle but bought it for a collection. I told him it would loosen again if he shot it much.

    I Locktited another years ago and that tightened it up and it shot ok after but that rifle was retired to a wall hanger after the owner died. I don't know what a permanent fix might be. The problem is the threads are very small and not made to last under heavy use, apparently.

    If you peen the threads back and locktite it, it may become serviceable once again but the value of it will be destroyed. Likely if it's that loose, it's a shooter anyway.

    There may be folks who specialize in doing a proper repair, I don't know.

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 01-09-2022 at 02:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    One of the cures has been to wrap string and the like around the male thread but it shoots loose quite readily. The most recent one I did I peened the threads back toward their original shape. and that tightened it up. The owner did not plan to fire the rifle but bought it for a collection. I told him it would loosen again if he shot it much.

    I Locktited another years ago and that tightened it up and it shot ok after but that rifle was retired to a wall hanger after the owner died. I don't know what a permanent fix might be. The problem is the threads are very small and not made to last under heavy use, apparently.

    If you peen the threads back and locktite it, it may become serviceable once again but the value of it will be destroyed. Likely if it's that loose, it's a shooter anyway.

    There may be folks who specialize in doing a proper repair, I don't know.

    Pete
    Pete,
    I suspect that most of the old 99 take downs that are loose is that they were taken apart and put back together a lot more than they were ever shot. As you stated I believe the prewar 99ís used a square thread. I donít when they started using a V thread.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,603

    The V thread

    Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    Pete,
    I suspect that most of the old 99 take downs that are loose is that they were taken apart and put back together a lot more than they were ever shot. As you stated I believe the prewar 99ís used a square thread. I donít when they started using a V thread.
    I remember working on was likely made in the 30's. The owner was likely in his 60's when he had me fix it and his father had won the rifle from a lottery ticket on the rifle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •