Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Advice to Your Young Child?

You are forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    It depends where you are living.
    US cities run by democrats: Body armor.
    Africa: Watch out for anything living. It is probably going to kill you.
    Australia: Ditto. Be especially wary of an approaching Australian with beer.
    Canada: Don't go outside during the winter. You will die.
    Any communist country: leave.
    Seriously though, my advice is what I gave to medical students: Remember the three A's, affability, ability and availability. Cultivate all three.
    my son; go and sin no more.

One thing that I told my children was to treat other people just as you would like to be treated.

And........................no drugs!

Seems to have worked.

* doggie *

Tell the truth, & you won't have to remember what you said !

US cities run by democrats: Body armor.
    Africa: Watch out for anything living. It is probably going to kill you.
    Australia: Ditto. Be especially wary of an approaching Australian with beer.
    Any communist country: leave.
    Seriously though, my advice is what I gave to medical students: Remember the three A's, affability, ability and availability. Cultivate all three.

The three Pillars of Excelence-

I think the classic quote is; Availability, affability, ability, and which one comes last and is least important

https://unreasonablegroup.com/articl...ility-ability/

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Be a good role model. Kids see what you do and hear what you say.

Glenn
    ANY AGE!!!

The heading on Glenn's post is "any age"......and I agree so strongly with this that I will say ANY AGE, FROM TWO DAYS OLD TO DEATH they see and hear everything. I deal with a lot of young folks and I share my belief that a kid is made or broken by the parents by the time it's 6mo old..... and recognizing damaging parenting behaviour within the first 3-4 yrs of a kid's life is fixable but takes YEARS of work......

My wife devotes a huge portion of her time to producing a podcast, primarily for married women, in which she pours her guts into helping young mothers grapple with the enormity of this.

And with abuse.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that lax parenting IS child abuse.

Be a giver, not just a taker. If you do this, everything else seems to fall in place.

My second piece of advice is: Try to get along with everyone. But be ready to deal harshly with all of 'em, if you need to.

Good shootin' -Al

I TAKE OFFENICE TO THAT, you insiduate that it's cold up here, AND IT IS NOT. Why is Bench rest harder up here. You have to get the ICE FLOES moving in the same direction. It is by the FARINHEIGHT SCALE it is 32 degrees up here. Water freezies at 32degrees, we are having a heat wave up here, and it is a lot colder in the West. They are having temps in the -55 (that is off the charts FARINHEIGHT SCALES), so there. If I learn to spell you realize, YOU ARE FOR IT.
    Last edited by Bill Gammon; 12-28-2021 at 11:41 AM.

My advice:

Don't stand if you can sit and don't sit if you can lie down.

Pete

I agree,

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    ANY AGE!!!

The heading on Glenn's post is "any age"......and I agree so strongly with this that I will say ANY AGE, FROM TWO DAYS OLD TO DEATH they see and hear everything. I deal with a lot of young folks and I share my belief that a kid is made or broken by the parents by the time it's 6mo old..... and recognizing damaging parenting behaviour within the first 3-4 yrs of a kid's life is fixable but takes YEARS of work......

My wife devotes a huge portion of her time to producing a podcast, primarily for married women, in which she pours her guts into helping young mothers grapple with the enormity of this.

And with abuse.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that lax parenting IS child abuse.
    What kids experience in the first three years of their life sets them up for what will come later, particularly being raised by mentally ill, violently inclined parent or parents. I've been told that the majority of PTSD suffers are the result of what happened to them during their early childhood.

Pete

Pete, My great uncle used to say, cmon in and lay down, when I went over there and ,It may not be the gospel but its the truth.There was alot more of em. Miss them old guys. Doug

It must be short

Near my collage graduation one of my teachers in the school of business offered this nugget that I have remembered, "Keep your feet on the ground and your eyes on the stars."

Concho Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    Near my collage graduation one of my teachers in the school of business offered this nugget that I have remembered, "Keep your feet on the ground and your eyes on the stars."

Concho Bill
    "Die with Memories not Dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    "Die with Memories not Dreams"
    I'll never forget something Slick Willy said in a televised speech on the eve of Y2K, something to the effect of, "When you stop dreaming you start dying."

I asked my son to be a credit to society, whatever path that was. I'm not sure that would be good advice today.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I'll never forget something Slick Willy said in a televised speech on the eve of Y2K, something to the effect of, "When you stop dreaming you start dying."
    "A Man Hears What He Wants To Hear And Disregards The Rest"
    Paul Simon