Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Advice to Your Young Child?

Life Advice to Your Young Child?

If you were to give your young son or daughter one piece of advice for how to live life, what would it be? There are many things I'd consider saying, but if I could say only one thing it would be: Be Nice to People.

What say you?
    Last edited by Hunter; 12-24-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Well, it's hard to argue with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If you were to give your young son or daughter one piece of advice for how to live life, what would it be? There are many things I'd consider saying, but if I could say only thing it would be: Be Nice to People.

What say you?
    But the first thing that came to my mind was "Live within your means". I see so many people who have mired themselves in debt that make an ample amount of money, but effectively get only half the benefit of it because they end up paying double for everything, having bought on credit. Financial stress boils over into many aspects of your life and many people suffer from it who should never have to.

GsT

If you were to give your young son or daughter one piece of advice for how to live life, what would it be? There are many things I'd consider saying, but if I could say only one thing it would be: Be Nice to People.

What say you?
    You managed to hit the nail right on the head. Try to imagine life without people! Especially the right kind of people.

It Depends

It depends where you are living.
    US cities run by democrats: Body armor.
    Africa: Watch out for anything living. It is probably going to kill you.
    Australia: Ditto. Be especially wary of an approaching Australian with beer.
    Canada: Don't go outside during the winter. You will die.
    Any communist country: leave.
    Seriously though, my advice is what I gave to medical students: Remember the three A's, affability, ability and availability. Cultivate all three.

My advice to my children,grands, and great grands

What say you?
    Is to put your trust in God

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    But the first thing that came to my mind was "Live within your means". I see so many people who have mired themselves in debt that make an ample amount of money, but effectively get only half the benefit of it because they end up paying double for everything, having bought on credit. Financial stress boils over into many aspects of your life and many people suffer from it who should never have to.

GsT
    Learning to live within your means and save for deferred rewards.

I love the adds on TV with the older lady saying 'We planned for our retirements
    (grandson and granddaughter running up to seated grandparents).
    'But now we need a way to supplement our income.'
    They should add 'To keep living beyond our means.'
    Basic personal; accounting skills, but that is again age dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    It depends where you are living.
    US cities run by democrats: Body armor.
    Africa: Watch out for anything living. It is probably going to kill you.
    Australia: Ditto. Be especially wary of an approaching Australian with beer.
    Canada: Don't go outside during the winter. You will die.
    Any communist country: leave.
    Seriously though, my advice is what I gave to medical students: Remember the three A's, affability, ability and availability. Cultivate all three.
    It surprises me Dr Tim that you arrange affability before ability...... I've known me some truly crusty "old" drs and dentists in my time.

In my world ability trumps all. The motto on my wall is "Don't Suck"

Be honest, don't lie and steal. But then I sometimes wonder if that's just in the genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    ........ But then I sometimes wonder if that's just in the genetics.
    it's in the genetics all right, effective parents pass it on to their kids...... shucks, it's transferrable genetics, really good parents can infect whole neighborhoods

Truth

On this day, and every day, know and believe that Jesus came into this world, was crucified, died; and was raised from the dead.... to save all mankind from sin.

" By grace are you saved through faith, and this not of yourselves. It is a gift of God, not of works; lest any man should boast " Ephesians 2: 8 - 9

" Jesus said " Iam the resurrection and the life. He that believes in me though he were dead, yet shall he live. And he that lives and believes in me shall never die ".
    John 11 : 25

" Jesus said " I am the way, the truth; and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. " John 14: 6

There is no greater " truth " !

With regards,
    .357Mag

amen and amen

Quote Originally Posted by .357Mag View Post
    On this day, and every day, know and believe that Jesus came into this world, was crucified, died; and was raised from the dead.... to save all mankind from sin.

" By grace are you saved through faith, and this not of yourselves. It is a gift of God, not of works; lest any man should boast " Ephesians 2: 8 - 9

" Jesus said " Iam the resurrection and the life. He that believes in me though he were dead, yet shall he live. And he that lives and believes in me shall never die ".
    John 11 : 25

" Jesus said " I am the way, the truth; and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. " John 14: 6

There is no greater " truth " !

With regards,
    .357Mag
    Yes that is the truth

For a young child:

Be nice to your friends and to people you meet.

Share your toys.

Boys do not hit girls.

For older kids:

The choices you make every day will set the direction of your life: choose wisely and carefully.

Avoid debt.

Friends are more important than things.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    it's in the genetics all right, effective parents pass it on to their kids...... shucks, it's transferrable genetics, really good parents can infect whole neighborhoods
    Yeah, I think my blanket statement was at least half wrong.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!

Any Age

Be a good role model. Kids see what you do and hear what you say.

Glenn