Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A list of importance:

A list of importance:

One of my shooting pals broached the idea of making a list of all the things that are needed to be successful at Benchrest, ranked in the order of importance. Seems like a worthwhile thing to do. We, he and I are going to make lists and compare our results. I wondered if it might be a good winter activity on here if others are willing to participate?

Pete

#1,,show up for the match

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    #1,,show up for the match
    and don't leave your bolt (etc.) at home.

How successful? As in winning at the national level?

Money!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    How successful? As in winning at the national level?

Money!

Joe
    The shooter and barrel and Bullets. There are a lot of people that have the money if they chose to spend it on comps. I could show up with Tony Boyers equipment and still finish in the bottom 20.
    I say the shooter is the most important. Everyone else can show up with the same equipment. The top guys are usually in the top 10 because of who they are. I would bet most of them have a different list of importance. You can’t beat good luck and ability with all the money in the world. Mike is correct with the most important. Show up!!

I'll submit that Tony Boyer doesn't "have money"....... Tony doesn't buy his way in, Tony has that most important item of all, DRIVE. Tony's dedication is absolutely incredible.

I remember an article in PS where the author had rode with Tony to a big shoot. They'd been at the match and on the road for 4-5 days. They rolled in in the dusk and Tony's words were "Hey! We've still got almost an hour of daylight, let's go shoot some!"

I say this not because I have a valid opinion but because it is my opinion that this thread has gone in such a way that some readers and watchers could get the impression that The World's Greatest BR Shooter bought his way in.

The top shooters are in my opinion DRIVEN to win, DEDICATED to self-improvement and TIRELESSLY FOCUSSED on the hard work required.

Thumbs up And, " the correct answer is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I'll submit that Tony Boyer doesn't "have money"....... Tony doesn't buy his way in, Tony has that most important item of all, DRIVE. Tony's dedication is absolutely incredible.

I remember an article in PS where the author had rode with Tony to a big shoot. They'd been at the match and on the road for 4-5 days. They rolled in in the dusk and Tony's words were "Hey! We've still got almost an hour of daylight, let's go shoot some!"

I say this not because I have a valid opinion but because it is my opinion that this thread has gone in such a way that some readers and watchers could get the impression that The World's Greatest BR Shooter bought his way in.

The top shooters are in my opinion DRIVEN to win, DEDICATED to self-improvement and TIRELESSLY FOCUSSED on the hard work required.
    " . . . and, there you have it. Thank you, Al. RG

I don't

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    One of my shooting pals broached the idea of making a list of all the things that are needed to be successful at Benchrest, ranked in the order of importance. Seems like a worthwhile thing to do. We, he and I are going to make lists and compare our results. I wondered if it might be a good winter activity on here if others are willing to participate?

Pete
    have enough toner in my printer to produce the output!

Or,

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    and don't leave your bolt (etc.) at home.
    your loaded ammo....an inside observation!

If you haven't checked lately this sport is not cheap.
    Determination and drive is number 1, but you still gotta be able to afford to go.

Joe

So much true!

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe View Post
    If you haven't checked lately this sport is not cheap.
    Determination and drive is number 1, but you still gotta be able to afford to go.

Joe
    I think this list idea is great! And could be of tremendous utility to new / aspiring shooters.

Alinwa and liljoe definitely have it right - as in any sport *drive* is *the* deciding factor. If someone had started Tony Boyer out with a J.C. Higgins .30-06, he'd have still arrived where he is today. No doubt about it, the man wins because he gets after it like few are willing to do. That said, there are a lot of logistical errors made on the part of new (and perhaps intermediate) shooters that could be addressed with the proposed list.

Just knowing what the 'state of the art' in the sport, as well as a bit of light shed on what does and doesn't work, could save a new guy thousands of dollars, thousands of hours of frustration (sucks to be doing something everyone else knows is ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********e, only to find out later...), and ultimately their participation (how long is that new person gonna stick around if they're way behind the curve and don't know how to catch up?). A growing sport needs a way to cultivate new shooters. I think a list like that proposed is a good start.

Still waiting to start myself - started getting set up before C19, but that has thrown a huge wrench in the works. I haven't yet shot a benchrest match, but I've shot a lot of other disciplines, at a lot of different clubs, and I know this much is true...

GsT

I was thinking more in terms of

1. a reliable scope

2. A good barrel

3. Good bullet - powder combination

4. a good platform for the barrel and scope

and so on. Which items are the most important to be successful in competition.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

So which is it? Buying your way in....There 2 definitions. Yep 2.
    1. Buying the best equipment and components. Or.
    2. The above and having the stuff, drive, motivation, experimenting, time(shooting everyday. All conditions.), ER whatever....That costs money also.

Not sure I got my point across. Someone might have the money. But, not the time or motivation to shoot everyday....
    Tim B.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    1. a reliable scope

2. A good barrel

3. Good bullet - powder combination

4. a good platform for the barrel and scope

and so on. Which items are the most important to be successful in competition.

Pete
    OK..... so the post prior to this one states yet again that "this sport isn't cheap"..... BUT, is this true? I have friends who race cars.... and they ask me to race with them.....and my answer has always been "I can't afford that"

I have friends who golf..... "I can't afford that"

I have friends with sleds....."I can't afford that"

I have friends with boats...... "I can't afford that"

I have friends with airplanes...... "I can't afford that"

I have friends who skydive and bungee and ride...."I can't afford that"

I have friends with season passes to several ski resorts...... "I can't afford that"

I have friends who buy season passes and follow a team around....."I can't afford that"

Probably the cheapest sport I've ever engaged in competitively is pool. I can get set up to be competitive on a pool table for a couple thousand bucks worth of equipment but even there if one is to go to competitions the travel is expensive. AND... to get competitive one pretty much must own ones own table......AND one must build a house to accommodate said pool table....

So, I submit that shooting full on Benchrest with a capital 'B' is one of the cheapest sports around.

That said, IMO the single biggest factor is touched on by GeneT. WHAT to buy... I can get a guy set up and fully competitive for around 5-6 Grand. From scratch. I've done it. That's the price of a 20 yr-old Honda

And it's cost me a hundred grand to get there.

I say THANK YOU PETE!!! For starting this thread. People who are interested in this sport NEED THIS INFORMATION!!!

I've basically morphed the focus of my youtube channel for this same reason. I've spent the last two weeks filming equipment and groups just to show newbies

WHAT

IS

COMPETITIVE

and what isn't.

I applaud you for this.

Thank You.

BTW it is my humble opinion that a complete neophyte WITH PROPER GEAR has a better chance of winning than Tony Thee Boyer Hissownself with half the so-called "Accuracy Rigs" out there.

I completely disagree with the sentiment "It's Not The Arrow, It's The Indian"

9 times out of 10 the poor indian is shooting equipment and using techniques that couldn't win if he was the only guy registered.

FIRST thing ya need? A rifle that can win.