Thread: ARA Indoor Nationals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ARA Indoor Nationals

An interesting story came out of the ARA Indoors Nationals yesterday.

I borrowed this from another website:

"Joe Ettershank from South Africa has been Shooting here @ ChickenFoot this Year with a 3P Anshutz ! Very Nice 3P rifle but it aint close for a 22RFBR rifle ! Joe is Left Handed ,so he needs a LH action to really get there and compete ! Larry Parsons loaned Joe one of Chris Gilmers old Left hand Calfee Rifles ! WoW . Joe shoots a 2500! Never seen anything like this here at ChickenFoot! Very nice story ,don`t you think !"

Several things struck me about this. First, shooters are more than willing to help each other. Larry Parsons demonstrated that.

Second, given the right equipment shooters from anywhere can step up their game and compete on any level.

Third, as many have claimed, RFBR rifles just may be a step above 3P rifles in general.

TKH (4628)

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    An interesting story came out of the ARA Indoors Nationals yesterday.

I borrowed this from another website:

"Joe Ettershank from South Africa has been Shooting here @ ChickenFoot this Year with a 3P Anshutz ! Very Nice 3P rifle but it aint close for a 22RFBR rifle ! Joe is Left Handed ,so he needs a LH action to really get there and compete ! Larry Parsons loaned Joe one of Chris Gilmers old Left hand Calfee Rifles ! WoW . Joe shoots a 2500! Never seen anything like this here at ChickenFoot! Very nice story ,don`t you think !"

Several things struck me about this. First, shooters are more than willing to help each other. Larry Parsons demonstrated that.

Second, given the right equipment shooters from anywhere can step up their game and compete on any level.

Third, as many have claimed, RFBR rifles just may be a step above 3P rifles in general.

TKH (4628)

So I'm wasting time on my 1913?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Butch,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but factory actions haven't been competitive in RFBR for a long time.

Now there have been exceptions, as in all things, but it's really like hoping to hit the lottery.

While it is true one can build a centerfire bench rifle on a factory action and compete, not the same with rimfire.

If you are really wanting to get into winning, you have to have State of the Art equipment.

It all depends on your personal objectives.

TKH (4628)
    Last edited by tonykharper; 12-05-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Thumbs down

Butch…..you made a funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Butch…..you made a funny.
    Well, I'm going to do it anyway. Barreled action is at the stocker as we speak. Promised to me in February. I have 2 Shilen ratchet barrels if needed. It will be fun, but if it isn't competitive, I can always call Jerry.

Well, I'm going to do it anyway. Barreled action is at the stocker as we speak. Promised to me in February. I have 2 Shilen ratchet barrels if needed. It will be fun, but if it isn't competitive, I can always call Jerry.
    Cut your loss Butch…l.call Jerry now, especially if stocker can switch up for a 2500 action.

Butch, I also have a junk Anschutz action and glued a Benchmark 3 groove barrel in it and it chambered for Lapua. The less than 4Oz. tuner was added. I took to the test site in Ohio and ran a bunch of lots of center X and Midas through it and it isn't too shabby and on the same tuner setting as the 29 speed I was shooting..... At 78 I don't think I'm that competitive anymore but I can have fun. Those same people that can kick my a$$ at 50yds I can hand them theirs at 1000...... LOL.... Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Cut your loss Butch…l.call Jerry now, especially if stocker can switch up for a 2500 action.
    Is or was a RF shooter named Joe Besche? What equipment did he shoot?