Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C.O.R.N.Y. virus, Dakota variant....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    ........ Times have changed. Doug
    Well, parents have changed at least

I'd have liked yours......

grandkids

Yea, I was talking to the boys loud and fast. not like R Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket but I wanted to stress they had to leave that stuff alone. I was told I had said enough. So I shut up. Ill teach them what I know about loading and shooting , that will take about 15 minutes, when the time comes. Doug

Thumbs up Al N..........

You'll know he's serious when he asks about your vernier calipers.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
    You'll know he's serious when he asks about your vernier calipers.Kevin
    Kevin, he kept turning the thumb wheel and locking stem saying : "I turn it on."

Next time, I'll give him one of the digital ones. -Al

Time for an update.

The verdict is in on the barrel and it's pretty harsh. My suspicion that the horrible fouling was simply due to poor cleaning by the previous owner turned out to be completely wrong. Finally had a bit of time to get in there with the bore scope this morning and here's what we've got. Young kids, older folks or anyone with a heart condition may want to leave the room as these images are pretty graphic. Parental caution is advised.....

This is the chamber neck area. Fired brass had this swirly-ish look to the necks...now I know why.

At the end of the chamber neck as it transitions to the throat/leade area. SAMMI spec for the 25-06 chamber length is 2.494. The brass I used was 2.485 long. Checking the chamber with a case length gauge shows it to be 2.525 in length. So...what you're seeing here is .040 of hard carbon fouling at the end of the neck (2.525-2.485= .040). I've JB'd the beejeezus out of it but it obviously is still in there...the product of decades of shooting.

Ahh...the throat/leade area as it transitions to the rifling. looks like some alligator shoes that Paulie Walnuts on 'The Sopranos' would wear!

Not to be outdone, about 4" up from the rifling origins was this little nugget...like a hunk of coal in a Christmas stocking. Not that it makes any difference at this point!

That it still managed to shoot 1/2" three shot groups with a hunting-style bullet (Sierra 87 SP) just amazes the heck outta me!

Good shootin'. -Al

There was an article

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    is fear itself . The stuff in it is no different from JB, just some pumice. Suspending it in oil I think aids in the cleaning process.

Pete
    in Precision Rifle magazine years ago comparing various bore cleaners like RemClean, JB, IOSSO and as I remember they used a micro fine diatomaceous earth for the cutting action. Sure wish I had saved that article. Looks like Remington has changed the name to 40X bore cleaner??

so what does the muzzle look like

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    so what does the muzzle look like
    Didn't take pic of it but it's really pretty decent.