Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C.O.R.N.Y. virus, Dakota variant....

I mentioned that the barrel was a pretty coppered up...but little did I know how fouled it was!

After four days, the copper is finally out. I threw everything I had in the chemical cupboard at it....Butch's, some vintage Shooters Choice Copper Remover, TM bore cleaner, Wipe Out, household ammonia, Kroil, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone (which works really good, by the way ) and a couple more I won't mention in case my town's Hazardous Materials Response Unit should get wind of it.

In the end, it boiled down to simple elbow grease and brushing/patching...followed by aggressive use of JB... followed by more brushing and patching...followed by over night soaking with Hoppe's Black Powder Gel. And repeat. As it progressed, you could see that it was layers of powder fouling over copper, then more powder and copper, etc. Once down to bare metal, I finished it up with a final round of JB on a new bronze brush working over the first 5-6" ahead of the chamber with 10-12 strokes for each full stroke down the barrel. After the final JB'ing and cleaning, the throat feels really smooth with a patch. I might take a peek with a bore scope. Or not. Don't know how many patches I used but the process killed 6 new phosphor bronze brushes. The dead brushes got recycled to JB victim duty.

Cleaned a couple decades of gun oil out of the inside of the bolt, removed and cleaned the extractor and ejector, shortened the ejector spring a couple of coils and plopped the trigger in the ultrasonic cleaner. Back together, the trigger easily adjusted to 1 3/4 lbs. and a .004 Teflon washer between the trigger lever and sear took care of any wander in the let off.

I've got some cases on the way and should be able to get to the range with it this week as temps will be in the 40-50's all week.

Good shootin'. -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 11-27-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I've gone to

Remclean to tackle the fouling. I use it on a brush and 10 or 12 strokes will clean the carbon and copper from a full match day's shooting. Yes, I'm one of those who shoots all day without cleaning. It seems like some sort of oil with a JB like substance in it. It's effective! I use The Sharpshooters supply solvents too but I keep looking for quicker methods of cleaning.

If you haven't watched Lou Merdica's Youtube on cleaning, it is worth the watch.
    e
    Pete

Pete, I don't 'Scare Easy' but Remclean scares the beejeezus out of me! -Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlYeq5f9lqM
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 11-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Pete, I don't scare easy but Remclean scares the beejeezus out of me! -Al

Al, your link sent me to a Tom Petty performance. However the next video in the youtube list was even more interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K528seiJlc0 If you watch this video hang in there till the 1:40 mark where it gets much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    Al, your link sent me to a Tom Petty performance.
    Yeah, the name of the song is 'Scare Easy'....which I thought appropriate in reference to Remclean. -Al

We're on borrowed time up here for weather and there's nothing worse that looking at a rifle all Winter wondering if it's going to shoot.

Today was 46 degrees, sunny and winds 14-18 from the 9 o'clock direction....pretty good conditions to test in at our range as anything going L-R is going to be a 'weather report'. My supply of BIB 88's is dwindling so I defaulted to the Sierra 87 PSP flat base/lead point bullet. While not exactly a BR bullet, this Sierra will shoot to 1/2" or a bit better in every good .25 I've worked with. Powder was the old standby IMR4831. Three shot groups today just to see if the barrel had promise....no loading at the range, just loaded some at home stopping a full grain below book max.

It shot pretty well at 51.0 (.523) and 52.5 (.469) and the 53.0 shows promise...just needs more powder. A little weather report on all the groups. Anyway, I can put it away, redo the bedding over the Winter and get it back out next spring for some more in depth work. I believe it can be a legit 5 shot 1/2" gun with a bit more massaging. The chamber is nice on the body but big at the neck (.293) and long on the neck length (2.525 on the 2.494 SAMMI max). I was able to jam the Sierras with .050 of the bullet in the case neck, though.

Sierra 87's:

Sierra 87 and BIB 88:

As a little bonus from Sierra in the box of bullets...a chunk of walnut shell. Now we know what they use to polish their bullets!

All in all, a pretty good day.

The only thing to fear

is fear itself . The stuff in it is no different from JB, just some pumice. Suspending it in oil I think aids in the cleaning process.

Pete

Cool Say Al..........

You do realize that, back in the day, JB Bore Cleaner was the go-to for lap fitting 1911 style slides to their frames......don't ya???!!

Later,
    Kevin

After seeing a muzzle get 'big' after RemClean, I default to JB. The barrel was one of Stan Ware's .30's...a Lilja 3 groove 1:17. It looked good via the Hawkeye bore scope but the muzzle was bigger than when he had checked it with a pin gauge when new. After taking 2" off the muzzle end and indicating a new crown, the barrel went right back to shooting well. Whether the formulation stayed the same as the name changed from Gold Medallion to RemClean to 40X Bore Cleaner, I'm not sure. I would suspect it did. I do use RemClean on 0000 steel wool for polishing aluminum.

Coincidence? Maybe. Probably just coincidental. I'm sure there are lots of shooters using it with no issues. But there had never been any muzzle issues before or since. And since I've been using JB w/o issues for a good 25 years, I just default to what I know works.

I like trying new stuff but on things like this my medical back ground comes out. First, do no harm.

Good shootin'. -Al

Nice groups...bet you hang on to this one.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Nice groups...bet you hang on to this one. Mort
    Mort, my 3 year old grandkiddo Cal seems to have 'claimed' it. He saw it in my gun room and pronounced: "Grandpa, that's a big gun. That will be my gun when I'm bigger, okay?"

He likes to help me clean case necks and organize brass. He has his own chair and little tool box with some 0000 steel wool and a can of Never Dull in it. When we were done, he had to measure my thumb....good stuff!

C'mon Gramps..... get the kid a digital caliper

(Or you gonna' teach him on a barrel mic and slipstick too?)

Al, real nice photos.

I use to have my grandkids help in the loading room and they learned the whole process. I let them take a whiff of Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner as it is a smell you won't forget.

We then started out talking about safety and shooting cardboard boxes with an air rifle.

I have several 22 rifles and the boys liked the Marlin 22 lever the best so they took turns shooting at 25 yards or so and then out to 50. As they got older I got to take them out varmint shooting at a friend's ranch. They got a kick out of spotting for me and taking a few shots.

They are young adults now and between college and part-time jobs, we don't see them much anymore. When they do show up here we go to the county range and bang away. I found this whole process with the boys very rewarding.....wish I could do it again.

The great thing about being a grandpa is you can really spoil the heck out of them and it's not your problem!

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 12-02-2021 at 07:20 PM.

grandkids

The other day 2 of my grandsons came down to my loading room. They were just playing around with stuff they could play with. I had to leave the room for about 5 minutes. when I came back they were going to town on my Dillon loaders working the handles.On the 650 and the square deal the dial would index when you pull the handle but the 550 on 223 you had to index by hand. The 650 and the S.D. I just ran the dials empty and scraped them but the 550 had the case under the powder measure running over with powder all over the dial down on the floor , mess. I had a heart to heart talk with them on how they had to leave PaPas loading stuff alone. They are 3 and 4 not old enough to teach loading yet. Ive seen toolsetters at lake city screw stuff up,but not that fast. I hope I got thru to em. I wouldnt have walked right for a week if I would have done that when I was a kid. Times have changed. Doug

boy i remember both my sons sitting on my lap pulling the loader handle for me as i was assembling match ammo for full course shoots as well as shotgun rounds.