Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: single most important verdict this century

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Think again. What I thought I made clear is that Kyle Rittenhouse hired the best legal team. You get what you pay for. I wish I had taken my own advice ,during my first divorce.

Exonerations have been/are bought,but that’s getting into the dark side of our legal system. Sometimes referred to as Jury Tampering. Buying the Judge,etc,etc.

Glenn
    WOT? Paying for a good lawyer is not the same as "Sometimes referred to as Jury Tampering. Buying the Judge,etc,etc.".

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    ....half the lawyers finished in the bottom 50% of their law school class, when picking one.
    Ditto with Doctors, Greg.

When a person goes to the baddest bar in town, they shouldn't be surprised when they find trouble. -Al

Lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    that half the lawyers finished in the bottom 50% of their law school class, when picking one.

Those statistics are probably true of most professions at any institution of higher learning. If I was looking to choose a good Brain Surgeon,id feel more comfortable picking one that graduated at or near the top of his class.

As far As an affordable Lawyer,for me,I think Track record,Personality, and Court room savvy would be at the top of the list of qualifications.

Glenn
    Last edited by Chism G; 11-21-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Jury

Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    WOT? Paying for a good lawyer is not the same as "Sometimes referred to as Jury Tampering. Buying the Judge,etc,etc.".

Tim, I never said that paying a Lawyer was the same as Jury Tampering ,in that context. Are we on the same page?

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    This is bigger than Heller, simply the most important firearms related story in the last 100yrs........
    Unbelievable! As with other things, we disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Unbelievable! As with other things, we disagree.
    I am so very glad that you're FINALLY realizing this instead of believing that "I'm sure if we were setting face-to-face over a beer we'd be friends" and inviting me to "stop by when in hotlanta".......

'Specially lucky for me cuz

I don't drink

BTW Hunter, please believe that it really IS important to me that you be able to clearly formulate your disagreement and devil-be-dammed not waste your time worrying about "what the neighbors will think" .... I just wish you would (could) support your arguments (feelings)

There are a pile of others waiting in the wings.... folks ON YOUR SIDE ...... just itching to jump in with both feet and stomp on ol' alinwa over this.... if they could.....Folks who just HATE my opinion....at least you overcame and voiced your "Unbelievable!" and thereby made your opinion public.

Bravo

Now if you'll just step up and tell the folks where they can learn about the really important firearms-related rulings of the last century, the ones YOU feel are seminal..... 'haps we may all learn summ'at.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    BTW Hunter, please believe that it really IS important to me that you be able to clearly formulate your disagreement and devil-be-dammed not waste your time worrying about "what the neighbors will think" .... I just wish you would (could) support your arguments (feelings)

There are a pile of others waiting in the wings.... folks ON YOUR SIDE ...... just itching to jump in with both feet and stomp on ol' alinwa over this.... if they could.....Folks who just HATE my opinion....at least you overcame and voiced your "Unbelievable!" and thereby made your opinion public.

Bravo

Now if you'll just step up and tell the folks where they can learn about the really important firearms-related rulings of the last century, the ones YOU feel are seminal..... 'haps we may all learn summ'at.

If you believe a jury verdict is bigger than Heller, as it relates to gun ownership, you're beyond my ability to help.

Tim, I never said that paying a Lawyer was the same as Jury Tampering ,in that context. Are we on the same page?

Glenn
    Ok.
    2 points. I got it.
    Last edited by zippy06; 11-21-2021 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If you believe a jury verdict is bigger than Heller, as it relates to gun ownership, you're beyond my ability to help.
    Thank you.

So.... Hunter..... I'll support my side since you did bring up one case.

Rittenhouse decision VS Heller decision, implications.

"Heller":

in which there was an unconstitutional ruling made by (The Party I Don't Vote For) back in 1975 (FCRA of '75) which banned folks from carrying guns legally. We Conservative Constitutionalists all KNEW it was illegal, we all said it was illegal, but we didn't have the wherewithal to bring it to court and furthermore were considered to be wakkjobs by folks like yourownself.

Meantime, the rioters in the streets funded by (TPIDVF) were completely unaware..... there were no/NADA/Zero social implications and no/NADA/Zero chances of news coverage, just a cop with some money, a court case and a sense of jubilation felt among gun owners to see an illegal restriction lifted

2 yrs later DC scrambled together a new mish-mash of amendments which were in some ways MORE restrictive and

After it was all over Dick Heller STILL is prohibited from carrying a 1911 or a Hellcat nor even a little pocket 380

WE GAINED VERY LITTLE, just made DC enact more laws "to cure the constitutional defects" missed in the 1975 rulings

(((Just so's you'se understand what "no implications" means.... there WAS NOT a crowd of looters and thugs (funded by TPIDVF) waiting to pounce when the verdict was announced)))

Heller was a RIPPLE in the pond.

VS

"Rittenhouse":

well, 'Rittenhouse' is fresh enough that even folks like yourself see some of the more vivid implications...... although very few of you have figured out that the only reason we don't have cities burning all acros't the northern tier is because it's TOO COLD outside for the rioters to rumble. If it were hot summer nights we'd have line-of-sight flames from Portland to Portland.

not at this level.
    appeals that are affirmed up the chain would be come "precedent" i believe.

Politics aside....Is there a legal precedent established following a trial court verdict? Guilty or not guilty verdicts are based on evidence or lack thereof and 12 members of your peers. Every trial is different. The only take away I see from this Verdict is that If you find yourself in a Jam,Hire the best lawyer you can afford.

Glenn

The attitude in this country is much different now than when Heller took place.

Maybe things will change.

Hellar vs DC

District Of Columbia v Heller

On June 26,2008 The Supreme Court affirmed 5 to 4 , 554 U.S. 570, District Of Columbia v Heller. This case became binding precedent in all courts in the US. Much has been written on the Hellar vs DC decision and its impact on 2nd amendment Rights. When I am sheltering in place, I sometimes hit the google search button and appease myself,with the legal jargon contained in Hellar vs DC .Sometimes I even convince myself that I understand what Im reading.

The question was posed,”What have we gained from Hellar vs DC”. The question should not be what have we gained? but what will we gain.

The important take away is that Heller vs DC is case Law.

The Hellar decision can be used in any court in the US to defend and protect the right to bear arms. All you need to defend that right is a Lawyer who knows how to effectively use this important tool.

In the Rittenhouse trial the defendant was acquitted on all charges. by 12 peers.
    Spin it anyway you want. there is no legal precedent established. The prosecution simply failed to prove its case.

Acquittals are not appealed.

Glenn
    Last edited by Chism G; 11-22-2021 at 11:07 AM.

District Of Columbia v Heller

On June 26,2008 The Supreme Court affirmed 5 to 4 , 554 U.S. 570, District Of Columbia v Heller. This case became binding precedent in all courts in the US. Much has been written on the Hellar vs DC decision and its impact on 2nd amendment Rights. When I am sheltering in place, I sometimes hit the google search button and appease myself,with the legal jargon contained in Hellar vs DC .Sometimes I even convince myself that I understand what Im reading.

The question was posed,”What have we gained from Hellar vs DC”. The question should not be what have we gained? but what will we gain.

The important take away is that Heller vs DC is case Law.

The Hellar decision can be used in any court in the US to defend and protect the right to bear arms. All you need to defend that right is a Lawyer who knows how to effectively use this important tool.

In the Rittenhouse trial the defendant was acquitted on all charges. by 12 peers.
    Spin it anyway you want. there is no legal precedent established. The prosecution simply failed to prove its case.

Acquittals are not appealed.

Glenn
    I would mostly agree with Glenn. The Rittenhouse case was one judge, one prosecutor and one local jury. With the way this country is now it will soon be forgotten by most people. This is turning into a short memory and a short sighted country.
    I am glad and surprised there was one jury and one judge that got something right.
    Stephen