Thread: Guess Your Nut Size

Guess Your Nut Size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_164134.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	25028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211102_164120.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	25029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211105_110440.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	25030

This recently cleaned-up wrench which belonged to my father has some interesting characteristics. One side reads, The Billings and Spencer Co, Hartford Conn. USA, and the bottom has the numbers 1111 725 B. Flip it over, and the large end says 3/8 cap and 3/8 S.A.E. The small end reads 5/16 CAP and 5/16 S.A.E.

Folks who have done a little wrenching know what the correct nut size will be, but what about the rest of the public? The 1/4 inch nut proceeding the 5/16 cap on the small end will further confuse the issue.......in fact, I don't know what the 1/4 inch nut thing is all about.

Any input or even a guess will be appreciated.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 11-05-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post

This recently cleaned-up wrench which belonged to my father has some interesting characteristics. One side reads, The Billings and Spencer Co, Hartford Conn. USA, and the bottom has the numbers 1111 725 B. Flip it over, and the large end says 3/8 cap and 3/8 S.A.E. The small end reads 5/16 CAP and 5/16 S.A.E.

Folks who have done a little wrenching know what the correct nut size will be, but what about the rest of the public? The 1/4 inch nut proceeding the 5/16 cap on the small end will further confuse the issue.......in fact, I don't know what the 1/4 inch nut thing is all about.

Mort
    You could always measure it with a caliper.
    Measure at the tip of the pocket, and then down closer to the base.

Before the 'grand unifying' specs varied ever so slightly in number of places.

Take them to a hardware store and see what they fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post

Mort
    I am assuming that the sizes stamped on the wrench do not refer to the size of the hex head on the bolt, but to the diameter of the bolt. In my experience with wrenching with bolts in this size range, a wrench that fits the hex head on a bolt is usually 3/16 larger than the bolt diameter. So in this case, the wrench would be 9/16 on the large end and a 1/2 on the small end.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I am assuming that the sizes stamped on the wrench do not refer to the size of the hex head on the bolt, but to the diameter of the bolt. In my experience with wrenching with bolts in this size range, a wrench that fits the hex head on a bolt is usually 3/16 larger than the bolt diameter. So in this case, the wrench would be 9/16 on the large end and a 1/2 on the small end.
    Interesting analysis, Thank You!

David,You are correct. It is a 1/2 x 9/16 wrench so why doesn't it just say that? The only reference to an actual nut size is 1/4 on the 1/2 end of the wrench.
    I'm sure this tool had a specific use....but what?

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 11-06-2021 at 12:32 PM.

The British are coming! The British are coming!

It looks like you may have a tool marked both by the bolt head and shaft size of the bolt. The British Whitworth sizing system uses the bolt shank size. These wrenches and sockets are familiar to anyone owning an old British motorcycle such as myself.

DR Tim!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    It looks like you may have a tool marked both by the bolt head and shaft size of the bolt. The British Whitworth sizing system uses the bolt shank size. These wrenches and sockets are familiar to anyone owning an old British motorcycle such as myself.
    You sure missed a good chance. to display your usual humor. That aside, I remember my old BSA. And there were more Triumphs around, ay least in my area, than any other

Thanks Tim
    I went online and learned something about Whitworth threads......now I can sleep at night.
    The mystery wrench is history.

Mort

I've also seen that with aircraft tools.......vintage Lycoming and Continetal stuff

Good shootin' -Al
    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 11-10-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Wrenches?

Tim, if you ask a Brit for a wrench there is no telling what you will get but it won't be a tool, all they got are "Spanners"! I know this from past experiences working overseas... took me nearly as long to quit calling them spanners when I got back to the US as it took to remember to ask for them!

Catch you later!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    Tim, if you ask a Brit for a wrench there is no telling what you will get but it won't be a tool, all they got are "Spanners"! I know this from past experiences working overseas... took me nearly as long to quit calling them spanners when I got back to the US as it took to remember to ask for them!

Catch you later!
    Scott
    And to think we (at some level) speak the same language.