Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An interesting Savage 99 project

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    My dad bought a 99 in 300 savage. he was gonna take it deer hunting. He cant leave his little pet 243 remington 700 at home. That savage has one of those new scopes on it. I think its a lyman 2.5 power. I bet all you can see is fur in the scope at 100 yds. Doug
    Doug, That period scope - even at a WHOPPING 6X - sealed the deal!RG

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Very nice work! Congrats !
    I have a Savage 99 take down chambered in 300 Savage that I picked up a few years ago. Just couldn't resist it. Was very pleasantly surprised when it shot factory ammo under 1". Close enough for rock and roll on Tennessee whitetails.

Rick

Rick my 99F would do1"or better with 180g factory ammo.(3 shots)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    My dad bought a 99 in 300 savage. he was gonna take it deer hunting. He cant leave his little pet 243 remington 700 at home. That savage has one of those new scopes on it. I think its a lyman 2.5 power. I bet all you can see is fur in the scope at 100 yds. Doug
    Doug
    My dad's hunting rifle was a FN Mauser 30-06. It had a small 2.5 power scope on it that I replaced with a Weaver K4. He liked that much better. I don't remember if the scope I replaced was a Lyman or not.

I traded a 32 Rem. 336 for a 300 Savage 99. Wanted something with more power. Although it was in great shape I ended up letting it go....wish I still had it.

I still have a box of 32 Rem. ammo. Not a popular cartridge.

Mort

Dad used to go out to Colorado hunting in the 50s. He said alot of the pickups with gun racks had a 99 savage in 300 savage hanging in em. Short light hunting rifles. Wish I had one in Win. pre 64. 70. dream rifle. Doug

Not a 99, but I took an older steel framed Browning BLR in 308 and rebarreled to 250 Savage for my daughter’s first deer rifle. With her left eye dominance it was what I had laying around to use at the time. Turned out great and likely is a MOA or better rifle although I only sighted it in and let her shoot. Great little caliber for shooting and deer hunting for sure.

Cool The Clarence Detsch die 88Gr. FB are showing promise.

Al, your "pillaring" of the Sav 99CD has eliminated the wild first shot flier - prior to your effort, the initial shot from either clod/clean, or, cold/"fouled" barrel always went WAY high and most often right . . . sometimes to the tune of 2+ inches @ 100Yd! Now, the worst 5-shot groups are 1.2" or, under, with all 3-shot version <.75".

Thus far, I have only picked a powder and a charge, and shot a couple of groups, looking for best potential with the 88Gr. FB made with the C. Detsch #1 die (my terminology, as David sold me a pair of his father's [carbide]point-dies). This particular die produces a .2575" shank, and .2580" pressure-ring. Working my way down, from H-100V, RL-17 (very promising), to faster burn-rate powders - probably wind-up at BenchMark, H322, IMR 8208BR, or, THE stand-by, Brigadier 3032.

Then, I will do the requisite incremental powder charge and seating-depth testing.

This project is proving enjoyable, indeed! Once I get a powder which "works" consistently, I'll try to post a pic or two.
    Good shootin'! RG

P.S. THE BIG bugaboo now is the trigger - most of the time, it has a "set" type mini-break, then a pretty decent heavy, but crisp real break - have yet to measure pull-weight. When it "sets", I have fared acceptably well: when I "pull through" the "set" step, I flinch like a beginner, and it show's on the paper! I'll have to risk tearing into the works and remove that pesky step - I'll wait t 'til I have back-up parts!
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 10-24-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Bill Ruger and the Savage 99 ….

Speaking of aesthetics and functionality. “I always thought the Savage 99 was marvelousness!” Bill Ruger Ruger & His Guns by R. L. Wilson Bill had admired the Savage 99 as a teenager and one of Bill’s earliest inventions was converting the Savage 99 into a gas-operated self loader. Savage turned it down. High Noon