Thread: Question for old gunsmiths

Question for old gunsmiths

I have a .22-250 that was built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. For scope / safety clearance the gunsmith installed a Mark II safety. I want to disassemble the bolt so I can get my die set for correct brass shoulder bump. Can someone please tell me how to disassemble / reassemble the bolt? Obviously, the safety cannot be put into the normal verticle position as with a military mauser due to the Mark II safety.

Quote Originally Posted by firearmsunlimit View Post
    I have a .22-250 that was built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. For scope / safety clearance the gunsmith installed a Mark II safety. I want to disassemble the bolt so I can get my die set for correct brass shoulder bump. Can someone please tell me how to disassemble / reassemble the bolt? Obviously, the safety cannot be put into the normal verticle position as with a military mauser due to the Mark II safety.
    You need to pull back the cocking piece and put a dime between it and the bolt shroud. Then depress the plunger on the left side while you unscrew the whole thing from the bolt. The current safety lever needs to be in the "fire" position to unscrew it.

Quote Originally Posted by firearmsunlimit View Post
    Jim is not an "OLD" gunsmith, but he knows his stuff around Mausers and model 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    You need to pull back the cocking piece and put a dime between it and the bolt shroud. Then depress the plunger on the left side while you unscrew the whole thing from the bolt. The current safety lever needs to be in the "fire" position to unscrew it.
    Most of us "old gunsmiths" use the edge of the wooden bench to grab the sear notch in the cocking piece, pull down with one hand and insert dime or washer with the other. Usually also have a dent in the edge from tweaking M1 op rods.

LOL.... I've never done any of those things. I pick up a screwdriver or a pocketknife or a ballpoint pen and just pull the striker up and spin 'er off.