Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walt Berger Passes

Walt Berger Passes

Walt Berger passed away yesterday (9-19-21) after a few days in Hospice. He was a child hood hero of mine and good friend of mine and my family. Walt was a driving force in many types of shooting discipline's but short range benchrest was his passion. May he rest in peace.

Jim

R.I.P Walt.

Matt

Thank you for all you did, Mr. Berger.

God's blessing and comfort to his family and friends.

Your in our prayers.

Becky and I will miss our dear friend. He taught me a lot regarding benchrest loading and shooting in the short time we were acquainted. His presence meant so much to so many. You are missed.
    Centerfire

he was still shooting earlier in the year. he will be missed.

A charming man; my condolences.

RIP Walt.

Walt Berger Passes

I turned on my computer only to start the week with this sad news. Walt taught me so so much about shooting and bullet making when I first entered into benchrest. My first point into the NBRSA Hall of Fame was earned in Midland, TX 1978 when it came down to Walt and I winning the HV 100 yard agg. We were sitting side by side and I shot a .190 and just beat Walt with a .2990 100 yard agg. and Walt with a .3000. Walt got up and gave me a big congratulatory bear hug even though I had just beat him.
    Walt demonstrated true sportsmanship, enthusiasm for our sport and elevated the entire world's ability to shoot with superior bullets that the general public had never experienced.
    He was the "TRUE GENTLEMAN" of benchrest and I and the world will miss his gentle speech and love for the sport he gave so much too and gave him so much in return.
    We are diminished,
    Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Kelbly View Post
    Walt Berger passed away yesterday (9-19-21) after a few days in Hospice. He was a child hood hero of mine and good friend of mine and my family. Walt was a driving force in many types of shooting discipline's but short range benchrest was his passion. May he rest in peace.

Jim
    An icon in the shooting world has passed,we are diminished. Condolences to the family.it was great watching Dave H. Take care of his grandpa at Ben Avery BR matches the last few years.
    RIP Walt

We will definitely miss seeing him on the range in Phoenix.

Walt was a true gentleman and a friend to all in benchrest. He did so much for our sport. May he rest in peace.

I meant WALT in 1997, I have know him, before but that is the day I met him. RIP WALT

Walt Berger passing

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gammon View Post
    I meant WALT in 1997, I have know him, before but that is the day I met him. RIP WALT
    Like Bill, I too met both Walt and Eunice in '97 at the SS. They purchased the first two ( new on the market) wooden cartridge boxes I introduced, not that they needed them. What a grand and loved couple. So sad...

A true Icon, and a credit to all of his endeavors.

May he Rest In Peace after a fulfilling life.

What a terrible shame. When I first met Walt I was impressed by how he took an interest in just everyone. He also had an enormous pile of candy on his loading benches that he handed out ad hoc to anyone passing by. Me included. And, by the end of the week I couldn’t believe it was all gone! Though I never got to see Walt more than a couple of times a year he was always quick to come over to say hi, shake my hand, spend time chatting and wish me luck for the shoot. And to offer candy. He spoke fondly of his trips to New Zealand and I’d show him photos of my latest fishing or hunting adventure. He always had a cheeky grin on his face and a sparkle in his eye. A true gentleman. A true pioneer of this wonderful sport and of excellent bullets. He will be missed. Thoughts and prayers go out to both the wider Benchrest family and to the extended Berger family as we mourn what is a great loss. We are indeed diminished. Rest easy Walt. Go well.
    Peter Haxell