Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's Perfect LR BR action???

Al's Perfect LR BR action???

6PPC's are easy but what does one do with a larger case? One which whips the assembly around like a terrier whipping a rat??

I absolutely LOVE the RB/LL/RE Panda with mechanical ejector but I'm convinced I simply cannot get the barrels tightened enough for large high-energy rounds. I've built and rebuilt, barreled and rebarreled, bedded and rebedded a Panda in 6X47L and 6.5CM 10 different ways in a known platform and can't get 'er to tighten up to crispness. I now have my "favorite action setup" on my rail gun.....where I don't need it!

I'm spec'ing for an 1.350 round action as IMO it offers the balance of strength-to-weight I'm interested in

Here are the things I consider important.

#1- I MUST be able to torque bbls to 150lb with an 1.350 shoulder and for this to happen the scope bases must be removable and the action must be configured to accept a grown-up action wrench. Torqueing an 1.2 shoulder will (does) visibly deform it. Torqueing an 1.25 while it's not visible, also resets sometimes...... and always will show advancement over several barrel changes which simply stated proves deformation empirically.

#2- For scope bases to be removable they MUST be pinned, and well pinned. I'm currently drilling 5 screw holes into the top of custom actions and screwing/gluing down a Browning base which is an incredible pita....... only because I've yet to monkey up an effective way to drill/ream fitted pin holes with my 75yr-old mill. My brand new Neuvo looks 20yrs-old already.

#3- The action MUST support a mechanical ejector. Kelbly's got this SO freakin' right!! The Panda R/L/R mechanical ejector setup is P E R F E C T except for it being a steel insert imbedded in bubble gum. (STILL perfect for liddle rounds... perhaps BEST)

#4- the action MUST be set up for Picatinny..... sorry, Davidson's aint in it altho pinning them _may_ help depending on depth of material to work with. This is a slippery slope as more "depth" as in taller assembly means longer torque moment arms. . . . . "terrier shaking a rat" . . . . .

#5- trigger hanger

There's more, a bunch more.... but these are my "must-haves"

Currently the closest thing I can conjure action-wise is the BAT 'DS' with milled recoil lug in the which I drill and add another 1/4X28 pulldown screw 'wayyy out on the fore end of the extended action ring........but it's missing a bunch of other features I need, and it's too short. My custom-ordered rollercam 'M' is an OK action but too awful frikkin' wikkid HEAVY for words. And I'm afraid of warping that soft BAT steel every time I vise 'er up. The rear-action wrench I custom ordered with it just melted like butter at well below 150ftlb.

I'm off to carve out yet another action wrench for the Neuvo..... 5th one ......

I meant Right Bolt/Left Load/Right Eject normally abbreviated RB/LP/RE most'n likely....

Action

AL -

Howdy !

Just wondering...... would you be able to configure a Wichita WBR1375 the way you want ? They are round, and 1.375" diam.
    In their time, they were touted for their " stiffness "

I have a 20MOA Picatinney on mine, that Ken Farrel made for me. The scope base is not pinned to my action, but my recoil lug is.
    I run an M-16 style extractor that Fred Sinclair installed for me. I use a trigger hanger.

Guess it wouldn't work for you, because of your loading/ejection port needs; et al.

Never mind.

With regards,
    357Mag

"deformed" thread on torqueing...
    can you prove it is the action and not the bbl ??/
    that is an actual question

golden bear in black
    brm-xd ??
    i like torque...typically 125-150....
    but with the thread fit on the brmxd i felt very comfy at 125 with a 300 wsm

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    "deformed" thread on torqueing...
    can you prove it is the action and not the bbl ??/
    that is an actual question
    Deformed shoulder, on the barrel

[QUOTE=rsmithsr;847092]golden bear in black
    brm-xd ??
    but with the thread fit on the brmxd i felt very comfy at 125 with a 300 wsm[/QUOTE

]IMOthis setup works best as a glue-in which I'm avoiding (I have several already, not avoiding blindly..... I can't tighten them)

i am lost
    why can't you tighten them ??
    i use a bbl vice a rear entry wrench and a quality torque wrench.
    i been torqueing for over 50 years, schools and training just in torque.

[QUOTE=alinwa;847096]
    golden bear in black
    brm-xd ??
    but with the thread fit on the brmxd i felt very comfy at 125 with a 300 wsm[/QUOTE

]IMOthis setup works best as a glue-in which I'm avoiding (I have several already, not avoiding blindly..... I can't tighten them)

[QUOTE=rsmithsr;847097]i am lost

Please supply me with a name that will make me an action wrench capable of 150ftlb in a Rem700

davidson from brownells
    3/4" drive flat steel bar

om a side note....don't get snippy..i think you need to get better at the thread and shoulder. while i chamber ok, my local be 'smith is much better at the whole package.
    his thread/shoulder lock up is amazing
    just sayin' something to look at.

[QUOTE=alinwa;847098]
    i am lost

Please supply me with a name that will make me an action wrench capable of 150ftlb in a Rem700

[QUOTE=rsmithsr;847100]davidson from brownells

om a side note....don't get snippy..i think you need to get better at the thread and shoulder. while i chamber ok, my local be 'smith is much better at the whole package.

I'm glad that works for you, it hasn't for me.

[QUOTE=rsmithsr;847100]davidson from brownells

And you are??

willing to pay a known gunsmith to do work that is better than mine.

[QUOTE=Butch Lambert;847102]
    davidson from brownells

And you are??

[QUOTE=rsmithsr;847106]willing to pay a known gunsmith to do work that is better than mine.

Yes sir, that is smart.

LOL!!! Butch you are a wonderfully kind and polite man

And rsmithsr, I'm in another place. Having already paid the best gunsmiths on the planet I now do my own work because I can't GET them to do the work I want. If I've given you the impression that my workmanship is inadequate, may I offer my abject apology.

I'll not offer you any of the "advice" you freely dispense