Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Al's Perfect LR BR action???

WEelllll'p... I'm only gonna' post this ONCE, and discreetly for fear of suit

Steenkin' Nyhus posted a pixture of Nanook here elsewhere....... and, my reaction was the same as it's been since it debutted...... i.e. "UUUGGHHHHHH" !!! "now 'ATS UGLY!!".......... And no topstrap?? "at'll NEVER work!"

but THIS time....... ding-ding-ding jangled the bell of my soul and "zing-zing-zing" went the carbide of my mill and voilahhhh! was borne forth the worlds first nanooked Atxxs Tactical.

TOP-load, RIGHT-bolt RIGHT-eject .......... I done TRR'd 'dat sumbitch ........ and FEEED??? ........aaahhhhhhhhh, over the top and let'er drop

Got a high-mounted 6-60 on 'er, mounted in rubber ......... 35mm rings over a 34mm tube with reinforced rubber mat from a razor cutting table to shim the gap....... THAT outta' act as a topstrap eh......

Be makin' a PPC barrel as we speak

Fitted this new barrel to my Panda project today. The first witness mark is where it comes up tight by hand. The second mark is 100 lbs. lbs/ft. of torque.

Good shootin'. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Fitted this new barrel to my Panda project today. The first witness mark is where it comes up tight by hand. The second mark is 100 lbs. lbs/ft. of torque.

Good shootin'. -Al

1.2 or 1.25?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    1.2 or 1.25?
    1.250 HV contour. -Al

torque

Alinwa -

Howdy !

" Vehly Eenterestinck " ....

With regards,
    357Mag

1.250 HV contour. -Al
    well then it's obvious that you need to hire somebody "better than you" to machine it better cuz that's shore a lot of advancement for an inch two-fitty

LOL

me thinks i agree, but no first hand data on the THAT BBL.
    my 6ppc had no visible movement from hand tight..
    why i sometimes pay others....mine do not do that..and i do not know why. well you have seen pics of my threads,,they suck

well then it's obvious that you need to hire somebody "better than you" to machine it better cuz that's shore a lot of advancement for an inch two-fitty

LOL

Good shootin'. -Al

I would think tight by hand could be a relative variable term. Like who's hand, What's holding the barrel or action or how hard did you snap it.?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    me thinks i agree, but no first hand data on the THAT BBL.
    my 6ppc had no visible movement from hand tight..
    why i sometimes pay others....mine do not do that..and i do not know why. well you have seen pics of my threads,,they suck
    I was joking

[QUOTE=alinwa;847096]
    golden bear in black
    brm-xd ??
    i like torque...typically 125-150....
    but with the thread fit on the brmxd i felt very comfy at 125 with a 300 wsm[/QUOTE

]IMOthis setup works best as a glue-in which I'm avoiding (I have several already, not avoiding blindly..... I can't tighten them)
    Not necessarily. A long time ago, I think it was on a Friday before a match, I asked a group that included Lee Six, Dennis Thornbury, Gary Ocock, and a couple of other big names that I cannot at the moment recall if a a well done pillar job would work as well as a glue in. The last response came from Lee, who said that he favored doing both, on the same rifle, pillar bed and then glue. What he was recommending included torquing action screws, even after gluing in.

I don't know that it jhas been
    Hint: "Rifle Accuracy Facts"

[QUOTE=Boyd Allen;847352]

Not necessarily. A long time ago, I think it was on a Friday before a match, I asked a group that included Lee Six, Dennis Thornbury, Gary Ocock, and a couple of other big names that I cannot at the moment recall if a a well done pillar job would work as well as a glue in. The last response came from Lee, who said that he favored doing both, on the same rifle, pillar bed and then glue. What he was recommending included torquing action screws, even after gluing in.
    I'm not sure what you're intimating here Boyd..... I think everyone agrees that glued and screwed is most stable. I just ordered a BRM from Jim this week and he reiterated your words basically verbatim

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    Hint: "Rifle Accuracy Facts"
    As you know, and you and I BOTH know you know,

I know.....

as in "I agree"

But I've stopped ref'ing RAF here because a bunch of folks on this board think little of his work, making statements like "his testing was done at such gross levels that the stuff we're discussing is lost in the noise" and "what matches has he won ennyways" and even "his stuff is irrelevant because we have much higher resolution maths and measures now"

snap 'd is not hand tight.
    maybe some basic education in threaded fasteners and torque would help.

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    I would think tight by hand could be a relative variable term. Like who's hand, What's holding the barrel or action or how hard did you snap it.?

snap 'd is not hand tight.
    maybe some basic education in threaded fasteners and torque would help.

Are you going to give us lessons?