Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

Thread: Al's Perfect LR BR action???

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    WEelllll'p... I'm only gonna' post this ONCE, and discreetly for fear of suit

    Steenkin' Nyhus posted a pixture of Nanook here elsewhere....... and, my reaction was the same as it's been since it debutted...... i.e. "UUUGGHHHHHH" !!! "now 'ATS UGLY!!".......... And no topstrap?? "at'll NEVER work!"

    but THIS time....... ding-ding-ding jangled the bell of my soul and "zing-zing-zing" went the carbide of my mill and voilahhhh! was borne forth the worlds first nanooked Atxxs Tactical.

    TOP-load, RIGHT-bolt RIGHT-eject .......... I done TRR'd 'dat sumbitch ........ and FEEED??? ........aaahhhhhhhhh, over the top and let'er drop

    Got a high-mounted 6-60 on 'er, mounted in rubber ......... 35mm rings over a 34mm tube with reinforced rubber mat from a razor cutting table to shim the gap....... THAT outta' act as a topstrap eh......

    Be makin' a PPC barrel as we speak

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    2,280
    Fitted this new barrel to my Panda project today. The first witness mark is where it comes up tight by hand. The second mark is 100 lbs. lbs/ft. of torque.

    Good shootin'. -Al


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Fitted this new barrel to my Panda project today. The first witness mark is where it comes up tight by hand. The second mark is 100 lbs. lbs/ft. of torque.

    Good shootin'. -Al

    1.2 or 1.25?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    1.2 or 1.25?
    1.250 HV contour. -Al

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    145

    torque

    Alinwa -

    Howdy !


    " Vehly Eenterestinck " ....



    With regards,
    357Mag

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    1.250 HV contour. -Al
    well then it's obvious that you need to hire somebody "better than you" to machine it better cuz that's shore a lot of advancement for an inch two-fitty

    LOL

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    702
    me thinks i agree, but no first hand data on the THAT BBL.
    my 6ppc had no visible movement from hand tight..
    why i sometimes pay others....mine do not do that..and i do not know why. well you have seen pics of my threads,,they suck


    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    well then it's obvious that you need to hire somebody "better than you" to machine it better cuz that's shore a lot of advancement for an inch two-fitty

    LOL

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northshore
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Fitted this new barrel to my Panda project today. The first witness mark is where it comes up tight by hand. The second mark is 100 lbs. lbs/ft. of torque.

    Good shootin'. -Al

    I would think tight by hand could be a relative variable term. Like who's hand, What's holding the barrel or action or how hard did you snap it.?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    me thinks i agree, but no first hand data on the THAT BBL.
    my 6ppc had no visible movement from hand tight..
    why i sometimes pay others....mine do not do that..and i do not know why. well you have seen pics of my threads,,they suck
    I was joking

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    5,588
    [QUOTE=alinwa;847096]
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    golden bear in black
    brm-xd ??
    i like torque...typically 125-150....
    but with the thread fit on the brmxd i felt very comfy at 125 with a 300 wsm[/QUOTE

    ]IMOthis setup works best as a glue-in which I'm avoiding (I have several already, not avoiding blindly..... I can't tighten them)
    Not necessarily. A long time ago, I think it was on a Friday before a match, I asked a group that included Lee Six, Dennis Thornbury, Gary Ocock, and a couple of other big names that I cannot at the moment recall if a a well done pillar job would work as well as a glue in. The last response came from Lee, who said that he favored doing both, on the same rifle, pillar bed and then glue. What he was recommending included torquing action screws, even after gluing in.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fresno
    Posts
    5,588
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I don't know that it jhas been
    Hint: "Rifle Accuracy Facts"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    [QUOTE=Boyd Allen;847352]
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

    Not necessarily. A long time ago, I think it was on a Friday before a match, I asked a group that included Lee Six, Dennis Thornbury, Gary Ocock, and a couple of other big names that I cannot at the moment recall if a a well done pillar job would work as well as a glue in. The last response came from Lee, who said that he favored doing both, on the same rifle, pillar bed and then glue. What he was recommending included torquing action screws, even after gluing in.
    I'm not sure what you're intimating here Boyd..... I think everyone agrees that glued and screwed is most stable. I just ordered a BRM from Jim this week and he reiterated your words basically verbatim

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    Hint: "Rifle Accuracy Facts"
    As you know, and you and I BOTH know you know,

    I know.....

    as in "I agree"

    But I've stopped ref'ing RAF here because a bunch of folks on this board think little of his work, making statements like "his testing was done at such gross levels that the stuff we're discussing is lost in the noise" and "what matches has he won ennyways" and even "his stuff is irrelevant because we have much higher resolution maths and measures now"

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    702
    snap 'd is not hand tight.
    maybe some basic education in threaded fasteners and torque would help.


    Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    I would think tight by hand could be a relative variable term. Like who's hand, What's holding the barrel or action or how hard did you snap it.?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    7,022
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    snap 'd is not hand tight.
    maybe some basic education in threaded fasteners and torque would help.

    Are you going to give us lessons?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •