Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6BR, 1:10’’ twist, 107 gr. Bullets at 100 yards ?

6BR, 1:10’’ twist, 107 gr. Bullets at 100 yards ?

Due to actual bullet shortage, buddy has 6 boxes of Sierra Matchking 107gr. he’s selling. I compete at 100 yards only, I got a 1:10’’ twist. I have had good groups with 75 gr. FBHP bullets but consistency isn’t the same as my 30 BR.
    Would using a 107 gr. bullet be more appropriate or are these bullets more suitable for a faster twist like 1:8 ?

i do not think this is a good idea.
    if the 107's are not the new factory design (new nose), i would pass.

They are Sierra Matchking. Why is it not a good idea ?

there are 2 DIFFERENT 107 match kings.
    early and current.
    they closed the tip for better bc on the new ones.
    heavy bullets for short range are seldom a good idea.
    is there a rifle weight limit ?? muzzle brake allowed

Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    They are Sierra Matchking. Why is it not a good idea ?

Due to actual bullet shortage, buddy has 6 boxes of Sierra Matchking 107gr. he’s selling. I compete at 100 yards only, I got a 1:10’’ twist. I have had good groups with 75 gr. FBHP bullets but consistency isn’t the same as my 30 BR.
    Would using a 107 gr. bullet be more appropriate or are these bullets more suitable for a faster twist like 1:8 ?
    The 107 MK - even the old style - may prove a little too long from the 1:10" twist. Try them and see: at best, stability will be marginal . . . and possibly poor. It is probable that the ideal twist would be about 1:8" - a 6mm BT, in excess of 1.20" OAL will want faster yet. That said, marginal may not be a wreck. RG

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    there are 2 DIFFERENT 107 match kings.
    early and current.
    they closed the tip for better bc on the new ones.
    heavy bullets for short range are seldom a good idea.
    is there a rifle weight limit ?? muzzle brake allowed
    No Muzzle brakes allowed, weight of my rifle is 12.25 lbs. I always found Hollow Points to be more accurate than Full Metal Jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    The 107 MK - even the old style - may prove a little too long from the 1:10" twist. Try them and see: at best, stability will be marginal . . . and possibly poor. It is probable that the ideal twist would be about 1:8" - a 6mm BT, in excess of 1.20" OAL will want faster yet. That said, marginal may not be a wreck. RG
    I appreciate that, I was just wondering why, in a hunting rifle .243 with a 1:9.25" twist, it did pretty good and since it's the same diameter, figured it might work in a 6BR.

well there is accuracy, and then there is BENCHREST ACCURACY.
    no one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
    me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. not good for ACCURACY.

LOOK FOR A LIGHTER BULLET THAT FITS THE 10 TWIST

No Muzzle brakes allowed, weight of my rifle is 12.25 lbs. I always found Hollow Points to be more accurate than Full Metal Jackets.

I appreciate that, I was just wondering why, in a hunting rifle .243 with a 1:9.25" twist, it did pretty good and since it's the same diameter, figured it might work in a 6BR.
    In case you weren't aware, Randy's opinion is more than casual. He's EARNED the sobriquet 'Ballistic Idiot'

https://bibullets.com/

well there is accuracy, and then there is BENCHREST ACCURACY.
    no one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
    me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. not good for ACCURACY.

LOOK FOR A LIGHTER BULLET THAT FITS THE 10 TWIST
    I always meant Benchrest accuracy.

I feel safe in saying that 99.9 % of Benchrest shooters shooting any 6mm bullet in the 105 to 108 weight range are using a 1-8 or faster twist.

What would work great in that 1-10 would be the Barts 80 grn BT. They will shoot with BENCHREST accuracy.

I have quite a few of them.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 09-09-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    In case you weren't aware, Randy's opinion is more than casual. He's EARNED the sobriquet 'Ballistic Idiot'

https://bibullets.com/
    I wouldn’t dare argue any of his opinions and advices , he invented the 30BR caliber after all and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I feel safe in saying that 99.9 % of Benchrest shooters shooting any 6mm bullet in the 105 to 108 weight range are using a 1-8 or faster twist.

What would work great in that 1-10 would be the Barts 80 grn BT. They will shoot with BENCHREST accuracy.

I have quite a few of them.
    I guess with all these comments about using 105-107 gr bullets in a 1:10 twist 6BR, I’ll finish my batch of Sierra #1510 75gr. FBHP and work on my accuracy consistency a little more. Thanks to everybody for their input.
    Dan

Cool

well there is accuracy, and then there is benchrest accuracy.
    No one suggested fmj, tho lapua makes a great 185 with a long history of long range performance.
    Me thinks a 107 in a 12 lb rifle will have noticable recoil. Not good for accuracy.

Look for a lighter bullet that fits the 10 twist
    some yrs ago bill brawanddesigned the 25 bms in light h v unl. Shot all over counyry ad and placed

well and won recoil was no prolblem.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    some yrs ago bill brawanddesigned the 25 bms in light h v unl. Shot all over counyry ad and placed

well and won recoil was no prolblem.
    shot 80 gr. In my hunting rifle 111gr. Like bench gun 1 13 twist