Thread: anyone with barrel recomendations

anyone with barrel recomendations

I am about to "pull the trigger" on ordering a Vudoo for top accuracy and the NRL22 game. What is the current idea on best brand of barrel for the order, Bartlein, Krieger, Lother walter, the "Ace" cut rifle barrel of Vudoo or what about a button rifle 5 R barrel from Shilen? Dang, so many options, and I can only order one barrel. what is the opinions?

I just had a Muller 4 MI installed on a Turbo V3 action and have only shot it twice. Today I shot a 248--15X on a IR-50 target in a switching 5 to 8 O'clock wind. The two minus ones were on me. Not enough hold off. I immediately adjusted my hold off shooting the same bull and scored a ten or an X. I think the barrel is going to shoot as good in the wind as a Shillen Ratchet barrel. However, I understand that a Shillen Ratchet is unobtainable at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlecooner View Post
    I am about to "pull the trigger" on ordering a Vudoo for top accuracy and the NRL22 game. What is the current idea on best brand of barrel for the order, Bartlein, Krieger, Lother walter, the "Ace" cut rifle barrel of Vudoo or what about a button rifle 5 R barrel from Shilen? Dang, so many options, and I can only order one barrel. what is the opinions?
    All of the barrels you mention will get the job done.

It maybe more important who chambers and fits the barrel than what brand it is. If your barrel is being fit by Vudoo then maybe that is a wash as well.

We all hope for the magical hummer barrel but if they exist at all, they are very rare.

When you get your contraption together no matter the format, the most important thing you can do for your success is to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Go to matches, as many as you can. One trip to a match will teach you more than a year of shooting at home by yourself.

TKH

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
    All of the barrels you mention will get the job done.

It maybe more important who chambers and fits the barrel than what brand it is. If your barrel is being fit by Vudoo then maybe that is a wash as well.

We all hope for the magical hummer barrel but if they exist at all, they are very rare.

When you get your contraption together no matter the format, the most important thing you can do for your success is to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Go to matches, as many as you can. One trip to a match will teach you more than a year of shooting at home by yourself.

TKH
    Wise words!
    Can't agree more

Young feller, Shilen has never made a 5R barrel.

And who has it in stock

Lots of good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by penn63 View Post
    However, I understand that a Shillen Ratchet is unobtainable at present.
    Shilen ratchet straight .850, .900, and .920 and no. 7 contour are all in stock at Killough Shooting Sports.

Killough

Are barrels available?

Quote Originally Posted by earlm View Post
    Are barrels available?
    Try going to the Killough website. It will tell you if an item is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Young feller, Shilen has never made a 5R barrel.
    Sorry, Shilen 22 barrels are 4 groove. my mistake

vudoo

if your looking for top accuracy vudoo is your first mistake.

Sorry, Shilen 22 barrels are 4 groove. my mistake
    The ratchet is a 4 groove. The rest are 6 groove and I do have an 8 groove.

Quote Originally Posted by big ted View Post
    if your looking for top accuracy vudoo is your first mistake.
    And you would know this exactly how?
    As the OP said he is primarily shooting ELR, gun is well suited to that with good choice of drop in chassis to boot.

Since he sounds new and plenty of ways to go wrong getting top rate barrel fitted by the wrong guy, why not have them fit one of their choices, they fit decent barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    And you would know this exactly how?
    As the OP said he is primarily shooting ELR, gun is well suited to that with good choice of drop in chassis to boot.

Since he sounds new and plenty of ways to go wrong getting top rate barrel fitted by the wrong guy, why not have them fit one of their choices, they fit decent barrels.
    Tim, did you mean they fit decent barrels or they fit barrels decently? I know little about extreme long range rimfire and the same about Vudoo, but I do see that they offer Shilen Ratchet barrels, and I consider them to be a tad more than "decent".

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by analretentive View Post
    Tim, did you mean they fit decent barrels or they fit barrels decently? I know little about extreme long range rimfire and the same about Vudoo, but I do see that they offer Shilen Ratchet barrels, and I consider them to be a tad more than "decent".

Gerry
    Gerry, IMHO, from what Ive seen, both.
    I have shot a couple repeaters and they shoot well above their pay grade.
    Their BR offerings are still a bit of a work in progress were you pursuing a high end BR rig but this seems to be the sweet spot, if I was going this route, probably exactly what Id do.