Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel torque

As I said..... this is a customer's rifle brought in off the street, built by a "custom gun builder" with his name on it and everything. I get in a lot of these when the folks who buy them go out and use them...

As far as the reloading, whereas I send out a gun with dies and a 70* base load, every other builder I know (except a couple BR builders) just ignores the die situation. Or sells a set of factory dies with the rifle.

This whole die-to-rifle fit thing is just being glossed over by most gun sellers, or is misunderstood.

And in the mean time we've a group of mentally challenged orange-man-bad thinkers on the internet who are howling that "neck-size only dies are the devil's work"

Funny really, but not funny if you're a bright, insightful consumer. This blind-leading-the-blind crowd is giving us, the shooting/building community a black eye but are still chugging along merrily because MOST buyers are buying a feeling, not a fact. Many Ford/Chevy/Dodge guys out there get their kicks from showing each other their guns.... just like most Ford/Chevy/Dodge owners buy trucks to look at....... most 4X4's have never been off-road and the owners have no idea if they're 'good' or not.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    As I said..... this is a customer's rifle brought in off the street, built by a "custom gun builder" with his name on it and everything. I get in a lot of these when the folks who buy them go out and use them...
    I feel your pain. I did this one for a good pal several years ago. He wants to do his own maintaining on it and wanted advice on how much to 'torque' the action screws down. I showed him how to get the barrelled action in and out, seat the recoil lug and tighten the action screws on my pillar bedding job with an Allen wrench. Bada bing, bada boom. Done, right?

He calls yesterday and said he bought a good torque wrench. Problem was that he bought a lbs/ft. one rather than an inch/lb. wrench. At 50 lbs./ft., the Allen recess in the front action screw decided it had enough and rolled over.

So there I am this morning......

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

As far as the reloading, whereas I send out a gun with dies and a 70* base load, every other builder I know (except a couple BR builders) just ignores the die situation. Or sells a set of factory dies with the rifle.

This whole die-to-rifle fit thing is just being glossed over by most gun sellers, or is misunderstood.

And in the mean time we've a group of mentally challenged orange-man-bad thinkers on the internet who are howling that "neck-size only dies are the devil's work"

Funny really, but not funny if you're a bright, insightful consumer. This blind-leading-the-blind crowd is giving us, the shooting/building community a black eye but are still chugging along merrily because MOST buyers are buying a feeling, not a fact. Many Ford/Chevy/Dodge guys out there get their kicks from showing each other their guns.... just like most Ford/Chevy/Dodge owners buy trucks to look at....... most 4X4's have never been off-road and the owners have no idea if they're 'good' or not.
    Most of the work I do is on handguns -- the guys at our local gun club are pistol oriented. I've lost track of the number of pistol I had to 'fix' after nationally known gunsmiths (one a manufacturer of pistol barrels that begins with Bar-xxx) had manhandled the firearms so badly that I had to replace quite a few parts.

I give unqualified shooters the benefit of the doubt after having watched so many 'pros' screw things up.

I had one friend try to do a trigger job on his own 1911, and ended up getting DQ'ed on the first stage when it went full auto on him.