Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel Fluting

To add to what Oliver88 said, the one thing that many metallurgist agree on is proper cryo treating does aid in the complete martensitic transformation in alloy steels. This is particularly important in applications where ductility at specific hardness levels is required.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon prec. View Post
    just because someone holds a record, that neither proves or disproves that fluting a barrel is worse than a non-fluted barrel.

When the vast majority of barrels being used in competition are non-fluted, it pretty much puts the odds in favor of non-fluted barrels finishing on top more often. Are they not shooting fluted barrels because they don't shoot, or because the added cost and/or hassle of installing them is not worth it?
    the extra time is nt wort it just shorten the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Young feller, has any of those fellers shot a .099-200 yard target in registered competition? No they haven't. Why would you guess that is? I know that you are very knowledgeable, but refer to me a scientific paper that says Cryo is a stress relief. Also, what barrel makers are doing this now. Tell me who does cryo on barrels and what is their method.
    Thanks
    Fluting results in LESS overall stiffness.
    It is intended to increase surface area for better heat dissipation.

Iím a little late to this thread. IMO the majority of people who are shooting benchrest with fluted barrels are doing it for the reason that Earl is because of the weight savings on a gun thatís too heavy with the scope they want to use. I have an old horizontal mill that all Iíve ever used it for is fluting barrels. Will I flute barrels for my personal rifles, not if I can help it. Itís easier not to have to flute the barrel. In answer to Earls question, Iíve been using Rustlix 255 in my mill because I had 5 gallons of it. Itís not made anymore, theyíve changed to whatever the next latest and greatest is. I doubt if it makes much difference what the coolant is as long as you use some coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Iím a little late to this thread. IMO the majority of people who are shooting benchrest with fluted barrels are doing it for the reason that Earl is because of the weight savings on a gun thatís too heavy with the scope they want to use. I have an old horizontal mill that all Iíve ever used it for is fluting barrels. Will I flute barrels for my personal rifles, not if I can help it. Itís easier not to have to flute the barrel. In answer to Earls question, Iíve been using Rustlix 255 in my mill because I had 5 gallons of it. Itís not made anymore, theyíve changed to whatever the next latest and greatest is. I doubt if it makes much difference what the coolant is as long as you use some coolant.
    I shoot live varmints with a Panda action rifle.

Search with some decent field glasses, park a rangefinder near them, look up bullet drop.
    I shoot from a portable bench rest stand. BR support in front, sand bag on the rear.

Over the years I have gotten pretty good at judging wind by watching crops in the field.

Reaching out to 440 yards on a groundhog is very satisfying.

And the farmers call me when they want some critters removed.
    I try and let them watch though my spotting scope.
    Some of them get down right excited.