Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Probes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by butch lambert View Post
    billy, they measure cross wind component. Study how they work or get some ojt.
    are you sure look harder.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    thats great keep learning got long ways too go. More practice good luck.
    have nt heard whats hiting your hans arms face legs good luck.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    are you sure look harder.
    the left and right readings are sometimes false due to diaginal winds that will give up and down as it shows left and right look harder or glasses.

Ive also found its easier to notice changes when shooting outside in the open compared to shooting from within a building as i find yo can feel slight changes. But most of my shooting is shooting from within a building.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    hi louis. It looks like a nice setup
    i see a lot of sox's in use around air ports
    i made 3 about 3 year a go very similar to yours for me the sox's was not sensitive enough for rimfire .what are they made of louis
    one thing they did work for on my range. One set 10 yards from target,
    on the right hand side and one set about 20 on the left
    when the sox's point the same angle in the opposite direction.

Thanks you for the reply and good luck chris
    in 1974 they had socks in canada just were not plain enough. Daisy surpases all for clairty. Ask boyer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    thats for you to find out qiitly and then shoot
    THANKS for all that grate information
    Last edited by chris; 07-08-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Chris sox's are made from real light weight trash can liners. They are light enough to show a whisper of wind but also not typical at our range.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by louis.j View Post
    chris sox's are made from real light weight trash can liners. They are light enough to show a whisper of wind but also not typical at our range.
    any thing that shows something is a help it takes a while to find the right onestime will tell

Cool

thanks for all that grate information clown
    never sign your on the end

Cool

never sign your on the end

Cool

poor quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Chris sox's are made from real light weight trash can liners. They are light enough to show a whisper of wind but also not typical at our range.
    Good thank s Louis yes it is
    extremely light I try it as flags ribbon I found it just to light for me
    When it get damp they tends stick to every thing they come in contact with Do you find that with the sox's

Theses days I tend spend time modifying probes similar but not the same as Beggs

Chris I haven't had any real issues in a light rain. If a heavy rain match is typically cancelled. My socks are 34 inches in length and each sock only weighs 113.8 grains and material thickness is 1 Mil or .001. Diameter at ring is 6 inches and tapering to 4. Here is a better picture showing the counter balancing means, pivot, ball joint leveling head and bubble level. The ring is a 6 plastic embroidering ring from hobby lobby.

Last edited by Louis.J; 07-11-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Having tried several various types of wind flags over the years including Gene Beggs probes. I finally settled on making my own and the best I have found to date. The wind sock is made from the cheapest and lightest trash can bags and is directly attached to the Cloroplast vanes. These are also very well balanced and it is hard to see. One side is orange and the other side is green they also have the adjustable ball heads on the stands. Why they work so well for me is they show both wind direction and the wind speed with just one look and they are also very sensitive. I use four so all I have to do is it to just look at only four things to see the direction and speed. If using vanes and tails I would then have to look at eight the vanes for direction and the tails for speed and that is twice as much that I would then have to try and calculate. All the while when all eight are constantly going through changes in both direction and speed.

You will never see a setup like that at a RF or CFBR match at any serious level primarily because those socks, no matter what the material, are far too heavy and pick up subtle changes in intensity and direction too slowly.
    You want light tails/vanes, usually with a daisy wheel.
    Still use my double vane Wicks with one petal on the daisy painted black. For lighter wind conditions the Aussie style folded pinwheel variations work well.

Unfortunately I cannot not agree I used socks to accomplish a National Championship and a National Record some time after that. I have been a competitive Benchrest competitor now going over 23 years. Like I said I have tried just about every type of wind indicator available including Gene Beggs Probes. You do have a right to your own opinion but if you have not used my own you really cannot comment on if they do or do not actually work?