Results 1 to 15 of 140

Thread: Probes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    70

    Probes

    Hi Guys
    How meany of you use probs and how do you used them
    Thanks Chris

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Hi Guys
    How meany of you use probs and how do you used them
    Thanks Chris
    Chris,

    You may need to define what you mean by "probes".

    There are many devices used to read the wind and many names to define them.

    I myself use 5 flags (Ezell) and two windicators (Beggs).

    How to use them is more "art" than science and it takes a while to learn. Not to mention flags, windicators, and probes all lie from time to time just to keep it interesting.

    But shooting a rimfire in most conditions without some way to read the wind is like shooting blind.

    TKH
    Last edited by tonykharper; 06-29-2021 at 08:57 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wylie, TX
    Posts
    424
    I use 4 flag setups. For me, a setup is a flag stand with a dual vane wick style flag on the top and a Besche windicator directly below. I use a 5 lb barbell weight on the bottom to keep them from blowing over. I like the dual vanes as I can read direction better with them and I don't like to use props, they distract me. For me, that is about all I can comprehend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    624
    I agree with Jerry with regards to the propellers. I use four flags and I use two different weight sail tails depending on wind conditions (.75 ounce and 1.5 ounce). Between the flag and tail direction and flag angle, I have enough to watch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    7,013
    Everybody has their ideas about flags. I started with flags with a small vane and light floppy tails.I next bought 6 of Don Nielson's real high quality flags with daisy wheels, next were Charlie Hood double vane flags with and without daisy wheels, next were 4 Beggs wind probes, next were what I use now, 6 BRT flags with props, not daisies. I do use a wind probe between my first and second flag and another between the second and third. I like the BRT props as they start and stop instantly with a pickup or letup. I found the daisies to be slow to start and they are a flywheel after the wind quits.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    70

    Good information

    Thanks guys
    What seems to best probe thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    1,226

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by butch lambert View Post
    everybody has their ideas about flags. I started with flags with a small vane and light floppy tails.i next bought 6 of don nielson's real high quality flags with daisy wheels, next were charlie hood double vane flags with and without daisy wheels, next were 4 beggs wind probes, next were what i use now, 6 brt flags with props, not daisies. I do use a wind probe between my first and second flag and another between the second and third. I like the brt props as they start and stop instantly with a pickup or letup. I found the daisies to be slow to start and they are a flywheel after the wind quits.
    daisy dives direction ojb will give you what to watch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    1,226

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by butch lambert View Post
    everybody has their ideas about flags. I started with flags with a small vane and light floppy tails.i next bought 6 of don nielson's real high quality flags with daisy wheels, next were charlie hood double vane flags with and without daisy wheels, next were 4 beggs wind probes, next were what i use now, 6 brt flags with props, not daisies. I do use a wind probe between my first and second flag and another between the second and third. I like the brt props as they start and stop instantly with a pickup or letup. I found the daisies to be slow to start and they are a flywheel after the wind quits.
    the daisy is only for direction.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    1,226

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    hi guys
    how meany of you use probs and how do you used them
    thanks chris
    ibs natls 360 daisy flaigs and 4 dull probes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •