Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glues for Gluing actions to stocks

Leeroy and Doggie,

from the standpoint of a professional building winning rifles, simply put a proper pillar bedding job costs $500USD more time and leaves in the chance for the customer to pus it all up costing the pro even more. gluing is cheap, easy and deadly effective. Gluing easily turns the barreled action and stock into a unit.

As far as even a brilliant pillar bed job being "just as good"....... if that were always true gluing and screwing wouldn't be a thing.

I will say this, making a pillar-bedded 338L shoot is orders of magnitude harder than making a PPC/BR rig competitive.

It all makes sense when you watch a slo-mo vid of the gun trying to rip itself apart upon firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy View Post
    The bigger question is why glue it in in the first place? For the life of me i cannot understand why people insist on doing it.. A proper alloy pillar bedding job is 100% just as good if done correctly, and facilitates easy removal of the action for trigger maintenance or re-barreling. Cheers Lee
    Lee, I agree completely.

I wonder how many 'bad' barrels and scopes have been replaced over the years when the actual cause was a poorly done glue in? Whenever I hear a shooter talking about a glued-in BR rig that's never shot well (no matter how many barrels and scopes it's had on), it's the action that finally gets the blame....because the bedding can't be checked. There's a huge amount of Benchrest Urban Legend that convinces people that if it's a glue it, it has to be good.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Another factor is that many actions designed to be glue-ins don't easily lend themselves to being converted to a bolt in. Many take the easy way out and use the rear tang as the recoil lug....which can be problematic depending on the tang shape and stock. A forward mounted 700-style lug is a good way to go but causes other 'convenience' issues relative to barrel changes unless a fair amount of work is done. IMO, the best situation is the integral forward lug like the Kelbly Kodiaks and Panda F-Class actions have. Prior to the F-Class Pandas being produced, we did forward Kodiak-style lug conversions on all our Pandas. I've attached a pic of several of mine done this way by Stan Ware. I know that Alan Warner also did many of these.

Not really what the thread is about but some food for thought, anyway.

Good shootin'. -Al

Good shootin'. Al

G'day All,
    Thanks to the late contributors, the reason for wanting to glue the action in, is because one is a Benchrest Stolle panda (no recoil lug) and the other is also a BR action, a BAT DS, which I want to use my old BR barrels for varminting and also look at a possible set up for F class where I doubt just a bedding job would be suitable for a 7mmSAUM/284W or a 308W without gluing it in as well.
    The idea of adding a recoil lug to the Stolle has merit and maybe offloading the BR Stolle for a F class Panda may be a better idea as well.
    My thoughts are if there is no recoil lug, a glue in makes more sense than relying on just the rear tang for recoil force transmission. A nice full contact glue interface should provide more than enough strength (shear) to do the job.
    Many thanks all the same for the ideas.
    Regards Geoff

A comment from an old has been... Prior to 2005 I talked with many if not most of the winning shooters, the vast majority used glue in's..

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pat b. View Post
    a comment from an old has been... Prior to 2005 i talked with many if not most of the winning shooters, the vast majority used glue in's..
    had fred sinclair glue y lee six stock in 1979 still holding sold it to a fellow in va. Who shot in canada came thru. Wilox pa' o rte; 219 shot in london for yrss'

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    had fred sinclair glue y lee six stock in 1979 still holding sold it to a fellow in va. Who shot in canada came thru. Wilox pa' o rte; 219 shot in london for yrss'
    bill gammon would know his name.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    his name henry dunbar.