Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Brought home a Heavy 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388

    Brought home a Heavy 10

    Brought a nice little South Bend 10L home on Wednesday. I don't quite have it set up yet but I plan to put a quick change tool post on it. What are most using on this size machine? Does a BXA work ok? I'm set up with CXA stuff but I'm betting it's a little too big. Thanks in advance!--Mike

    Oh, and I've got an extra cxa tool post laying around, so it'd be nice if I can use it along with existing holders..fwiw.
    Last edited by mwezell; 05-15-2021 at 05:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    540
    That will be to big, the tool holders will not be able to get low enough to work. The ADA is the correct size.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boothbay Harbor, ME
    Posts
    621
    Not sure if you can get the BXA holders low enough. AXA is what I've got. I prefer my Enco 4 way tool post though with the exception of some of my tiny/round boring bars. Then the AXA-2 holder is handy. Great little hobby/2nd operation lathe, but imo just that.

    Keith

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    939
    Mwezell congratulations on your purchase it will serve you extremely well and just it has done for others in the past. I too agree the BXA is probably to big and the AXA would be the right choice. Might also want to look at a Multifix tool post for your lathe. Shars is now offering them and the reviews so far have been good.

    https://youtu.be/B0Z2e5gTQ-0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388
    Thanks for all the good feedback. If AXA is all that I can use, then that's what it'll be. I do like the Multifix. I'll look at it further. I've used it or a similar one back when I worked in a real machine shop but I've never owned one. I can see it coming in handy. A friend has a BXA that I can borrow to try. I'd like to be able to stay with bigger tooling that I already have a fair amount of, if possible. It's worth a try...Looks like the BXA is rated for a minimum 10" lathe but it may be too close to use much of my tooling. If so, not much advantage to using it. Just have to bite the bullet and pick up some smaller stuff for this little guy.
    Thanks all!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Mwezell congratulations on your purchase it will serve you extremely well and just it has done for others in the past. I too agree the BXA is probably to big and the AXA would be the right choice. Might also want to look at a Multifix tool post for your lathe. Shars is now offering them and the reviews so far have been good.

    https://youtu.be/B0Z2e5gTQ-0
    Thanks! The best thing is that it appears to be in excellent shape. I'll probably re-wick most of it and put it to work. It's smaller than I'm use to but I really needed a second manual lathe and this one will fit the bill for a lot of what I need it for. I'll try to post some pics in a day or so. Not sure when I'll get it into the shop and wired up. It's under the hoist in my farm shop at the moment. It'll probably stay there for a few days or so. I'll pack it over here on a front end loader and wire it up asap.
    Last edited by mwezell; 05-16-2021 at 04:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    551
    I will throw in a positive for the multifix system. I got mine from pewetools and it is excellent. You may be able to use some of your larger tooling with it, but if not it is still a great system. The owner of pewetools is extremely passionate about the system and puts out a great product.
    I have the little brother to yours, a 9A, and it is a great little machine, but nowhere near the class of a 10L. It will serve you well! I use an axa tool post on that machine and the A size multifix on my emco v13. That little A system is plenty rigid for anything the 10L could throw at it.
    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    1,045

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by savet06 View Post
    i will throw in a positive for the multifix system. I got mine from pewetools and it is excellent. You may be able to use some of your larger tooling with it, but if not it is still a great system. The owner of pewetools is extremely passionate about the system and puts out a great product.
    I have the little brother to yours, a 9a, and it is a great little machine, but nowhere near the class of a 10l. It will serve you well! I use an axa tool post on that machine and the a size multifix on my emco v13. That little a system is plenty rigid for anything the 10l could throw at it.
    Mike
    tony where is triple match being held. In rimfire.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,444

    Sorry I sold mine :(

    I had a nice 10 L but a short one. I have missed it. It was fully tooled which I sent along with it when it went to Massachusetts. Thought I wanted a longer machine but I don't seem to use the extrey length much, if any. Story of my life. A cousin gave me a pristine 1911 made in 1917. Had it around for a few years and decided to sell it. Another "wish I had it back".

    Pete

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388
    Well, I got the lathe in the shop. Running it off of a terribly noisy phase converter at the moment but plan on using a a single to 3 phase vfd asap.

    Nevertheless, this is pretty impressive for any lathe. That's an Interapid. 0001 indicator and the needle barely shakes! About 20 millionths run out on a machine that's nearly as old as me.

    https://youtube.com/shorts/oPtAklc3izI?feature=share

    Still have some minor bugs to work out but the bones of this lathe are exceptional. FWIW, it is one of the "precision tool room" models. The cross slide and carriage are on double vee rails in the bed. Most have a single vee on one side and a flat on the other. I cut a piece to check for taper and run out over about 6 inches with about a tenth taper and it appears to be near perfect for roundness.

    Looks like I found a gem of a lathe here. I think a Buck chuck is in the near future.
    Last edited by mwezell; 06-01-2021 at 11:15 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,582
    The "master" Seeley Masker had 3 Heavy 10.His son Jerry still has them.


    .

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    1,045

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    brought a nice little south bend 10l home on wednesday. I don't quite have it set up yet but i plan to put a quick change tool post on it. What are most using on this size machine? Does a bxa work ok? I'm set up with cxa stuff but i'm betting it's a little too big. Thanks in advance!--mike

    oh, and i've got an extra cxa tool post laying around, so it'd be nice if i can use it along with existing holders..fwiw.
    have designed new ejection bullet knock out got rid of all threaded rod and steel olders slick more room to fed jackets. 1 814 335 0450 c bill brawand.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Well, I got the lathe in the shop. Running it off of a terribly noisy phase converter at the moment but plan on using a a single to 3 phase vfd asap.

    Nevertheless, this is pretty impressive for any lathe. That's an Interapid. 0001 indicator and the needle barely shakes! About 20 millionths run out on a machine that's nearly as old as me.

    https://youtube.com/shorts/oPtAklc3izI?feature=share

    Still have some minor bugs to work out but the bones of this lathe are exceptional. FWIW, it is one of the "precision tool room" models. The cross slide and carriage are on double vee rails in the bed. Most have a single vee on one side and a flat on the other. I cut a piece to check for taper and run out over about 6 inches with about a tenth taper and it appears to be near perfect for roundness.

    Looks like I found a gem of a lathe here. I think a Buck chuck is in the near future.
    Double vee rails? I have never seen that, on all of my lathes the other vee rail is for the tailstock.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Double vee rails? I have never seen that, on all of my lathes the other vee rail is for the tailstock.
    I'm out running errands but will try to post a pic later. As I understand, this is exclusive to what SB called their "precision" series of the 10L. Another feature is the headstock is non adjustable and is scraped into the ways. It does have some adjustment on the tail stock end for leveling/squaring the bed.

    Its covered in tools at the moment but I'll try to post a pic of that as well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Double vee rails? I have never seen that, on all of my lathes the other vee rail is for the tailstock.
    Here's a couple of pics of the bed and leveling screw on the tail stock end. The leveling screw is at the red metal tag. It appears to be a simple Jack screw.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_111307.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	24666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_140752.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	24667

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •