Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caldwell BR

I bought my first Caldwell rest when they first came out and then modified it quite abit. I now have a Randolph and it now better fits my own needs. But you are right if one can afford it to go for something that might be a slightly higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    I bought my first Caldwell rest when they first came out and then modified it quite abit. I now have a Randolph and it now better fits my own needs. But you are right if one can afford it to go for something that might be a slightly higher price.
    A cast iron base is a cast iron base. You can argue about the rest tops, but not much to argue about with the bases. I like the Bald Eagle's rack & pinion quick vertical adjustment, but once it is set it normally stays put. The Caldwell base is tall and can give trouble at ranges that the targets are lower the the bench. With a good rest top, they will all preform fine.

My Caldwell base if memory serves right weighed 22lbs. and I am not sure if is even offered anymore. The newer ones I have seen are in no way the same. My is pictured on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    My Caldwell base if memory serves right weighed 22lbs. and I am not sure if is even offered anymore. The newer ones I have seen are in no way the same. My is pictured on the first page.
    Louis, other than the rest top it is the same as sold today. Oh yes, the newer ones have the 7/8x6tpi acme thread and the old ones were 1"x12tpi.

maybe the nut you got is not Acme ( not typically found in hardware stores) then there is the possibility that, if it was ordered, it was picked wrong or packaged wrong. (or it is a 12 count metric thread, diameters differ) It happens. Gm kept shipping the passenger sider door handel assembly to my dealer when we needed the drivers side, right stock number wrong part in packaging. Took a bit to get that glitch worked out. Then there is the chi-com sizing- always just bit south or north of spec. not much help -just what I have run into over time.

Quote Originally Posted by armabill View Post
    I bought a 7/8-6 Acme nut and it won't fit. I got this size from the Caldwell Competition manual.
    There isn't a date on that manual but from the thread size, it might be an older one? I can't find
    my manual that came with the rest. Whether that would help me, I can't be sure.

The 1-12 tap that I found fits exactly when put on top of the threaded post. This coincides with
    the thread gauge. Like as stated previously, I tried a 1-8 and 1-14 nuts and they don't fit either.

The 1-14 wants to go on but stops at a couple of threads in. Now I know that it's not a metric
    thread but I think that the rest top screws are metric- at least that's what the manual says, if you
    can believe it.

Sinclair uses a 1-14 thread on their larger rests.

Bill, As I've stated a couple times, you have a 1"X12tpi thread. Yours is an earlier Caldwell. Do you not have a mariner wheel?

Yes, it's a 1-12 thread and I have the Mariner wheel. I bought my rest a long time ago, that explains why the thread size in their manual is different than on my post.

The thing is, why change the thread size at all? Leave it just the way it was! It would stop a lot of confusion. A common thread size among all the rests would be of great benefit.

Again, thanks to all for your help. It seems like a small matter until you have to find out what it is or what you think it is.
    Last edited by armabill; 04-28-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armabill View Post
    Yes, it's a 1-12 thread and I have the Mariner wheel. I bought my rest a long time ago, that explains why the thread size in their manual is different than on my post.

The thing is, why change the thread size at all? Leave it just the way it was! It would stop a lot of confusion. A common thread size among all the rests would be of great benefit.

Again, thanks to all for your help. It seems like a small matter until you have to find out what it is or what you think it is.
    I agree, no reason to change a thing.