Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe

Thumbs up Another Callout for DROPROS

Installed the magnetic version years ago on my Clausing 5914. Can't say enough good things about It. It's not bothered by oil or swarf and it is much better than my old glass DRO that broke and couldn't get parts for. They used to have pics of my installation but I couldn't find it today. DROPROS are Good people to deal with. ----Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WSnyder View Post
    Precision Mathews used to offer a Harrison M300 clone, do they still offer one? I almost bought one from Matt years ago.
    I asked Matt, he said it must have been about 15 years ago when they offered the model, no longer available from them.
    Last edited by NezRongero; 04-26-2021 at 10:10 PM.

If you can find one, an Emco Super 11 is a great gunsmith sized lathe. They are small, light, and don't have a big footprint, perfect for a smaller shop, but are high quality and accurate. I really like mine.

Another nod to DRO Pros as well. Great product, and great to do business with.

Justin

Some very nice lathes are being recommended but abit hard to justify for some home hobbyists like myself. All though I do somewhat regret not getting a 14X40 Mathews a couple of towns over from me that was listed for sale at actually a real good price. That lathe appeared as if it was never being used and it also had the Dro. installed. And I still think about not going ahead and getting that one quite allot.

Dwight Scott uses an Emco, but I've forgotten the size or model.

I have the Emco v13, the big brother to the super 11,and it is an excellent lathe for barrel work. If had found one, I would take the super 11 for ease of maneuvering when it comes time to move across the country.
    If I didn't find the v13, a PM1340GT or 1440GT would be next on the list from precision mathews. I also have a 9" south bend from 1947 that did very good work as well, but has its limitations on barrel length.
    Mike

I'm a hobbyist and have a PM 1340GT with VFD, DRO and proximity stop. It's plenty large enough to do any gunsmith work.

I'm also a hobbyist and I bought a 16 x 40 that is sold in Europe as the KnuthV turn 410. When I bought it I fitted a Newall DRO with CSS.
    I've found it to be an excellent lathe, although a bit long through the headstock for short barrels, but this can be worked around.
    One of the features I wanted was the vfd, with the ability to changed speed with the turn of a knob and the vfd also has other benefits.
    Last edited by Ian_Owen; 05-05-2021 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parshal View Post
    I'm a hobbyist and have a PM 1340GT with VFD, DRO and proximity stop. It's plenty large enough to do any gunsmith work.
    I have been using a Precision Mathews 1340GT for a couple years now and really like the lathe. The VFD and proximity switch would be nice additions to my lathe but I have gotten by without them so far. Something I may add later.

The whole group and Precision Mathews is great to deal with and since buying the 1340GT we have also added one of their knee mills to our shop as well with the same high quality. Definitely not looking back on either purchase.

Tad

They are good folks and the hobby-machinist forum has, basically, a support group.

I, too, added one of their mills two years ago. I went with the 833TV which is the largest benchtop mill. I added the DRO and power feeds and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Any truth to 3 phase lathes doing a better job than single phase? No 3 phase available here but could do some sort of phase convertor if there is a large enough benefit of the the 3phase over single phase
    Smoother cuts.

And the closer you can get the power to true 3-phase the better.
    The motor converters do not produces 3-phase at 120 degrees each.

Many end up being 180 degrees and a 90 degree 'created' leg between them.

The new variable speed units DO produce a true 3-phase, while allowing
    you to further adjust motor speed if you want.

Make sure the 3-phase motor is rated for VFD use.
    Some motors do not behave all that well when you try and vary the speed.

Odd currents are set up in the windings (mostly harmonics).