Thread: Check Out The Latest Addition to Our Shop.....

Check Out The Latest Addition to Our Shop.....

We finally bought something that for decades we have had a need for, and finally got one.

An Oliver Drill Sharpener.

This thing is really neat. It will sharpen a drill size from 1/4 to 4 inches, itís amazing to watch the way it generates the perfect point, clearance, and cutting edge angle. It even thins the point for less tool pressure when drilling blind holes.

You can also set the oscillator to generate more ore less back clearance to better fit the type of material being drilled

For years, we hand ground drills and sometimes used our Cincinnati Tool Grinder with a home made fixture.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1615938471

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2xTse8A70
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FBE9C5F-30C2-4EDC-B959-E51B3A13BD5E.jpeg 
Views:	531 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	24476  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-16-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Jeez Jackie I would think with the big Iron you work on you would be into using spade drills....

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    Jeez Jackie I would think with the big Iron you work on you would be into using spade drills....
    We find that twist drills do a better job on the sort of work we do.

Wow....talk about classic America machine tools! Very interesting history on the company, also.

Thanks for sharing that, Jackie. -Al

That's a good investment and a very nice machine.

Interesting

I just had a conversation with a couple shop owners about drill sharpeners and they both said it wasn't worth the time and effort. I imagine in your industry you might use drills large enough to make it worthwhile. That's a nifty bit of 'old iron' in any case.

GsT

drill bit sharpener ....lol Better off to use a file .

Having sharpened quite a few drill bits by hand to the point of getting pretty good at it, I watched the video and it looks like it does a pretty nice job in a pretty good time. It definitely does a better job of it then I do. It would be kind of hard to get over the the economics of it even though it would be a asset on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
    drill bit sharpener ....lol Better off to use a file .
    We drill a lot of holes, mostly on this drill press.

So you can see the advantage of having a good sharpener.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1616016027

By the way. Our Oliver Sharpener is not a refurbished machine. It is new. They manufacture them on order. It is their latest 700 model with auto feed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3644386-4615-4548-9761-5BC1D3F92E9A.jpeg 
Views:	297 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	24479  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-17-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Nice Drill Press and I would think it too sevres you very well.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    I just had a conversation with a couple shop owners about drill sharpeners and they both said it wasn't worth the time and effort. I imagine in your industry you might use drills large enough to make it worthwhile. That's a nifty bit of 'old iron' in any case.

GsT
    Gene, The Shipyard toolroom would sharpen cutting tools including drill bits. Anything below a given size was expendable.

Mort

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Gene, The Shipyard toolroom would sharpen cutting tools including drill bits. Anything below a given size was expendable.

Mort
    Seems eminently reasonable. Do you recall what the cutoff size for 'expendable' was? How 'bout you Jackie? How big and/or expensive does a drill need to be to warrant sharpening?

GsT

We sharpen any drill bit with a Morse taper. That could be from 7/16 all the way up to 4 inches.

Straight shank drills 1/2 and smaller ar ground by hand. I am pretty good at sharpening smaller bits by hand.

The only time we will not sharpen is if the margin get burned away. But sometimes you can cut them off and re-establish the point and cutting edges further up the drill.

We find that buying cheap Chinese drills is a wast of time. Sometimes they chip or burn on the first hole.

Gene, Jackie is right on with the Morse taper drills. Straight shank was expendable. There was some Brown and Sharpe stuff laying around that was usable with a Morse adaptor.

Mort