Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mauser project

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
    Nicely done Al !! Kevin
    Kevin, I had the white, greys and blues all out and ready to go! If I can stumble onto a used stock, that could still happen.

Speaking of stumbling onto things, I've found out that the extractors for these things aren't exactly falling out of the trees and can be a weak link if you're a bit....up there....shall we say, in the pressure range. And since, to channel the inner Randy Robinett: "I ain't a-skeered of no stinkin' pressure! (within reason on a little action like this, if only obviously), I beat the bushes for some extra extractors only to strike out everywhere I looked.

On a chance, I called Zastava U.S.A. hoping they could direct me to a source. They informed me that not only were they available, they had them in stock and yes...they'd be happy to drop a couple in the mail to me. They also explained that this little gun is still available from them as the Model M85 in 223, 22-250 and 22 Hornet (K-Hornet, anyone? ).

We've got some warmer weather on the way next week (mid 50's) so hopefully I can get out with it.

Good shootin'. -Al

Exclamation You'll find more.......

....hen's teeth than old L461 type long-extractors. And when you do.....those "teeth" will run ya about 60 bucks EACH!!

Although I've never seen a broken one......I have "straightened" a few, over the years. A bit tricky....but doable.

About the Zastava extractor......haven't looked at one. So I'm not sure of it's bolt fit, and it's fitted "grab" of the case rim(read: primary extraction).

I'm sure THIS helps.....

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 02-27-2021 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fix

In the interest of compactness (is that a word??), I stuck an Athlon 3-12 on it this afternoon to test drive the ergonomics. The bolt handle/occular is close but workable.

Pretty sure there's a Leupold VariX II 4-12 A.O. around here somewhere. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    In the interest of compactness (is that a word??), I stuck an Athlon 3-12 on it this afternoon to test drive the ergonomics. The bolt handle/occular is close but workable.

Pretty sure there's a Leupold VariX II 4-12 A.O. around here somewhere. -Al

It needs (wants?) a Burris Mini 4-12, AO! RG

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    I agree! Now finding one is another matter. -Al

Lightbulb I had one long ago......long gone.

I put it on an L461 action(Winslow 17 Magnum)......and it positioned the eyepiece a bit too far to the rear, for my use.
    Maybe this Mini Mauser would work a little better.

Kevin

I have such a beast.
    The trigger is crap but useable. I chambered it in ,204 Ruger and get decent accuracy from but the magazine never worked.
    That is, the rounds just pop up when I try to stuff it.
    Why would that be?
    And Timney dont make a trigger for it any more

Quote Originally Posted by tjensen View Post
    I have such a beast. I chambered it in ,204 Ruger and get decent accuracy from but the magazine never worked.
    That is, the rounds just pop up when I try to stuff it. Why would that be?
    Not sure what you mean when you say they "...just pop up"? For the heck of it, I made up some dummy 204R rounds loaded to .020 shorter than mag length and tried them in my 223. With 3 in the magazine, they fed just fine. If anything, the follower or follower/mag spring may need tweaking. Both are available.

Quote Originally Posted by tjensen View Post
    The trigger is crap but useable. And Timney dont make a trigger for it any more
    The trigger you want is still available directly from Timney and closeout priced. I'd not linger.....

https://timneytriggers.com/search.ph...ection=product

Good shootin'. -Al

Mine has a Timney as the stockmaker broke my factory trigger some way. Mine feeds great in 220 Beggs (Russian).

Thank you both.
    What I mean is that the rounds dont stay in the mag.

Hey...this thing might shoot!

Between the race car shop, helping a family member build a new home and crappy weather, my time just hasn't been there to sort this gun out.

Today was cloudy with winds from the NE at 14-17. With a few hours free time, I grabbed the gun and headed to the range with 10 rounds I'd tossed together a couple weeks ago. Load was a book minimum of 24.0 of AA2230, a 40 gr. Sierra Blitz King seated with .075 of the shank in the neck, Fed std 205's in used R-P cases sized with a .248 neck bushing. Since these little guns have a history of needing the bases to be shimmed, I decided just to head out and get on paper to minimize the jacking around that might happen on the first real range session.

Bore sighting and adjusting the scope at 100 yds, the first shot was 4" high and 3" right. Not too bad, all things considered. The next five shots seemed to indicate things were good though it seemed like it had some vertical in it. With four shots remaining, I hung a new target. After the first shot, I gave it 6 clicks left and fired this 3 shot group. Lots of vertical as the load is obviously too light. But not too shabby for the first group out of this old gun rack reject. Didn't even stick any flags out.....

Will continue as soon as the weather cooperates and keep going up with the 2230.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 03-22-2021 at 08:23 PM.

yeah
    but it does not count.
    it's on the sighter target

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    yeah but it does not count. it's on the sighter target
    Group size never counts on a Score target.

Thanks for the tip, though....

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Group size never counts on a Score target.

Thanks for the tip, though....
    Yaz don't need no steeenkn' caluperz on a skcor targut - yaz justz lukz et th linz . . . BIG MIKE

Nice, Al, showing promise! RG

Yaz don't need no steeenkn' caluperz on a skcor targut - yaz justz lukz et th linz . . . BIG MIKE
    I mean...1/4" is 1/4", right? -Al