Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning the rimfire....How much is enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Here's the deal. I know that some rifles shoot a bit better at some point but it seems that the owners don't know exactly when that point will occur...and even worse, when it will pass. If your rifle will not shoot competitively after cleaning and fouling then you simply have to get another barrel and hope it will. Note the word "competitively" please!
    100% correct.

cleaning a 22 rimfire

Does anyone use Boretech Eliminator to clean your 22 ?

Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Does anyone use Boretech Eliminator to clean your 22 ?
    Why??
    It is used primarily to attack copper fouling and if not used VERY carefully, has been shown to damage barrels.
    You want a rimfire specific solvent designed to cut rimfire lube.
    Rimfire Blend or Montana rimfire solvent are both way better.
    Last edited by tim; 10-01-2020 at 04:21 PM.

bounce back to the top
    i have a win 52c target, not sporter...so not a custom br, but by the rules not stock, so i have to shoot against the pure custom guns. ( in todays world, it should be a factory rifle)
    but
    cleaning is my question.
    no custom br bbl
    time frame(round count)
    and
    cleaning process ???
    have a proper bore guide

Clean it every card or two, makes no difference about type of bbl, use a good rod, bronze brush and rimfire solvent.
    Pretty easy.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Clean it every card or two, makes no difference about type of bbl, use a good rod, bronze brush and rimfire solvent.
    Pretty easy.
    Agree 100% I have a custom and several Win52s and 40Xs all of which shoot better clean. When a rifle shoots better dirty, there is usually a barrel issue. With these older target rifles it is usually a pitted barrel. The more its shot, the more the pits fill in, this will calm down the erratic behavior, but it will still not shoot to any kind of BR standard. JMO

The difference? A properly cleaned rf barrel can last thousands of rounds, a centerfire barrel just a few hundred.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by george atkins View Post
    agree 100% i have a custom and several win52s and 40xs all of which shoot better clean. When a rifle shoots better dirty, there is usually a barrel issue. With these older target rifles it is usually a pitted barrel. The more its shot, the more the pits fill in, this will calm down the erratic behavior, but it will still not shoot to any kind of br standard. Jmo
    some yrs ago i was in canada and went in a under ground 22 rimfire range for testing difernt lots the ower had so many olimpic trophys you couldnt count them he told me he had never cleaedit ad had over 1 million rds.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    some yrs ago i was in canada and went in a under ground 22 rimfire range for testing difernt lots the ower had so many olimpic trophys you couldnt count them he told me he had never cleaedit ad had over 1 million rds.
    Billy, itís not 1980 any more, rarely does a gun that wins anything not get cleaned on a pretty regular basis.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    billy, itís not 1980 any more, rarely does a gun that wins anything not get cleaned on a pretty regular basis.
    thanks bill what dpo you know about chambering [ chambered using empy case when it gt tight i went a little further is that alright.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billbrawand View Post
    thanks bill what dpo you know about chambering [ chambered using empy case when it gt tight i went a little further is that alright.
    need advice after this way ple4ase bill b

Cool

need advice after this way ple4ase bill b
    need help ij chambering -pl4ease advice

Cool

need help ij chambering -pl4ease advice
    for 22 rimfire withot gage i yous a case til it stoped then went in a little furter.

I would

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    for 22 rimfire withot gage i yous a case til it stoped then went in a little furter.
    pull the bullet from a live case, dump the powder and use it instead of a go gauge if I didn't have a "Go" gauge.

Pete

When I shot air rifle BR, I cleaned after every card. On patch wet with Ballistol and 4 dry. Then shoot at least 5 sighters to season the bore. I'm assuming rimfire requires the same.