Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Seized Barrel In Receiver: The Fix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, Ca
    Posts
    242

    Seized Barrel In Receiver: The Fix

    This is Robert. Donít be like Robert...

    This is a personal project so at least Iím not buying a customer a barrel. This barrel is 1.375 for 5Ē then tapering to 1.010Ē at 32Ē and I have a second one. Losing 1-1/4Ē on the chamber end isnít really going to be the end of the world for me.

    So, the threads were not too tight and the barrel had already been screwed on/off hand tight several times during the machining process. I knew it was going to be a while before I could finish this project so I washed the barrel and receiver with hot water and Dawn and dried. A little while later I was sitting in my office (probably after a few cocktails) looking at the barrel, receiver, bottom metal and stock. I figured Iíd screw the barrel on by hand and toss it in the stock to see what it will look like. Well, the dry barrel screwed in just fine....until it didnít. I heard squeak, and it got tight. Tried backing it off and it only went about 1/4 turn. I immediately soaked it with penetrating oil and tried to back it off again. No joy. I knew at this point the receiver would be destroyed if I tried to use tools to unscrew it. It was time to sacrifice a bit of barrel and hope the receiver is OK.

    After the tenon was extracted, the receiver looks pretty good. Just one tiny nick on a thread. This receiver is too tall to fixture in my CNC mill otherwise Iíd chase the threads with a threadmill. Iíll probably just run a tap down it to clean it up.

    Moral of the story, ALWAYS lube your threads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30FBFF86-6134-4310-A3E5-5FA661970CC3.jpeg 
Views:	468 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	22207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	179BB8EF-CA8B-4338-91BD-B73570F8CA3A.jpeg 
Views:	412 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	22208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4E74344-10F5-4E2A-B3BF-E198929804C8.jpeg 
Views:	416 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	22209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3B24598-4BB1-413B-A575-EB2B6F7FE6CB.jpeg 
Views:	390 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	22210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A91B3FC-C1BC-4094-BC5E-E61E4C341E68.jpeg 
Views:	387 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	22211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A08BD9D-5EA6-44D9-921F-0E7C2588A011.jpeg 
Views:	363 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	22212  


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, Ca
    Posts
    242
    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C30B3E7-26A8-4845-9383-A86CADAE72F5.jpeg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	22213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2C9D1E62-3028-48A4-8884-0B3722B177A6.jpeg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	22214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDD1AC36-490A-4492-B6A2-9735E91A792B.jpeg 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	22215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C48E195C-1691-4089-BAA3-3AC8DD5E31FC.jpeg 
Views:	379 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	22216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9EF2F685-2A86-47CC-98D9-3A20EC3B590D.jpeg 
Views:	386 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	22217  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    2,442
    That rates high on the Pucker Scale. Nice recovery, sir. -Al

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    it is an expensive way to make a poor coil spring...
    but i have done it myself( but not based on galled thread)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    12,007
    Thank You For That Sir

    Just up the way there's a thread Big Al replied to entitled "Gaulin actions" ........ now I gotta be honest here, when I clicked on it my mind was saying "BAT??" ....... and tthis IS NOT to badmouth BAT's in any way but trust me about that pucker factor getting really real when one does exactly what Robert did here on a dry BAT......

    But, (my tummy hurts now, I won'r go there ) I had one just the other day that surprised me. I'm barreling a few Weatherby's to see can I make one shoot.... And I screwed a LUBED barrel in and got the drea'tful 'squweeek' ...... hmm......


    reeeehhh


    raaawhh


    reeehh


    raaaawhhhh.... back and forth.

    Finally I just said "p!$# on it, it's a freakin' Weatherby!" and I th'ew 'er in the vice and screwed 'er out. Made about a half-spring.....

    Everything cleaned up with just a scar on the tenon thread... and the culprit was


    the thru-screw-hole on the action had a wee burr that back-rolled.

    Just another thing......

    from now on I'm gonna' be run a tap in there on factory actions (actually what I'll REALLY do is run my finger in there.... and cut that scar back open just as it heals over...... the one from shortening action screws, or brushing the chips off the end of that part I just milled a slot in (cuz the brush fell on the floor), or grabbing that hunk of angle out of the cutoff saw....)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,129
    Nice save.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    101
    Robert,
    Been there.
    Done that
    Hopefully will never do it again!
    Nice recovery though, I actually saved my homemade spring as a reminder
    Regards,
    Greg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    422
    I like Alís tap idea. I had one gall pretty good, started running a tap with cutting oil to clean things up and havenít had one since. [knock on wood]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Thank You For That Sir

    Just up the way there's a thread Big Al replied to entitled "Gaulin actions" ........ now I gotta be honest here, when I clicked on it my mind was saying "BAT??" ....... and tthis IS NOT to badmouth BAT's in any way but trust me about that pucker factor getting really real when one does exactly what Robert did here on a dry BAT......

    But, (my tummy hurts now, I won'r go there ) I had one just the other day that surprised me. I'm barreling a few Weatherby's to see can I make one shoot.... And I screwed a LUBED barrel in and got the drea'tful 'squweeek' ...... hmm......


    reeeehhh


    raaawhh


    reeehh


    raaaawhhhh.... back and forth.

    Finally I just said "p!$# on it, it's a freakin' Weatherby!" and I th'ew 'er in the vice and screwed 'er out. Made about a half-spring.....

    Everything cleaned up with just a scar on the tenon thread... and the culprit was


    the thru-screw-hole on the action had a wee burr that back-rolled.

    Just another thing......

    from now on I'm gonna' be run a tap in there on factory actions (actually what I'll REALLY do is run my finger in there.... and cut that scar back open just as it heals over...... the one from shortening action screws, or brushing the chips off the end of that part I just milled a slot in (cuz the brush fell on the floor), or grabbing that hunk of angle out of the cutoff saw....)
    Get yourself a COGSDILL BURRAWAY tool or three. I've found those indispensable--especially when cutting 8-40 scope base holes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    everything but prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Poole View Post
    Get yourself a COGSDILL BURRAWAY tool or three. I've found those indispensable--especially when cutting 8-40 scope base holes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    (actually what I'll REALLY do is run my finger in there.... and cut that scar back open just as it heals over...... the one from shortening action screws, or brushing the chips off the end of that part I just milled a slot in (cuz the brush fell on the floor), or grabbing that hunk of angle out of the cutoff saw....)
    Al,
    Thats the way a REAL machinist would do it
    If you ain't bleeding your not trying hard enough!
    Good news is I understand high sulphur cutting oil is a great antiseptic.
    Greg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California...unfortunately
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon Prec. View Post

    A little while later I was sitting in my office (probably after a few cocktails) looking at the barrel, receiver, bottom metal and stock. I figured...
    Ahhh...a kindred spirit. I've made some of my soundest decisions after "a few cocktails"...

    "I have to have one of those...'click'...be here on Tuesday"...

    "Hey...she's not that bad looking"...

    "What the $!#? are you looking at, @$$hole"?!

    Justin

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    892

    .

    My experience is the most common cause of the dreaded barrel seizure is the razor thin thread ribbon that is often left at the beginning or end of the barrel tennon thread, which can be easily avoided by slightly back cutting or chamfering the thread ends after the last thread cut pass..............Don

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, Ca
    Posts
    242
    This is why I blunt start/Higbee my threads. This receiver also had blunt start female threads. I have only me to blame on this one for trying to put it together dry.
    Last edited by Rubicon Prec.; 04-02-2019 at 08:47 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    12,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Poole View Post
    Get yourself a COGSDILL BURRAWAY tool or three. I've found those indispensable--especially when cutting 8-40 scope base holes.
    Well now..... I bet it's been 10yrs since I saw a new-to-me tool ...... seriously, I'm a tool freak. Bad.... goes back to when I was a 6-8 yr-old shaver and Dad would walk me through auction barns, barn sales or just the neighbor's yard and say "OK, what would THAT be used for?" My dad would stop the car, go knock on the door if he saw something he couldn't identify.......I am truly fascinated by tools.

    THANK YOU for showing me this, I was unaware

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •