Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimfire for 10 year old grandson

Quote Originally Posted by Wjesswheel View Post
    Looking to build a rimfire for my grandson that’s 10. Don’t really know where to start. I would like it to be fairly “competitive” would like to shoot some local matches maybe, leaning toward maybe marlin,savage action with a custom barrel (what length). Have about $800-1200 to spend without the scope probably just use a t36 I have. Open to just about any suggestions. He likes to shoot and trying to get him interested in something other then video games. Yes
    I have a couple of CZ452's, after a trigger job, will shoot with most of the custom Sporter class rimfires....with top quality ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    I have a couple of CZ452's, after a trigger job, will shoot with most of the custom Sporter class rimfires....with top quality ammo.

Somebody had too much pie for Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Somebody had too much pie for Thanksgiving.
    Yes, I did, it was my granddaughters Pecan pie!

While you have him at the range, take a block of soap and shoot it with a .22LR, preferably a hollowpoint. Show him the kind of damage the little .22 can do. Kids need a visual to understand that it will do more than punch paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjesswheel View Post
    Looking to build a rimfire for my grandson that’s 10. Don’t really know where to start. I would like it to be fairly “competitive” would like to shoot some local matches maybe, leaning toward maybe marlin,savage action with a custom barrel (what length). Have about $800-1200 to spend without the scope probably just use a t36 I have. Open to just about any suggestions. He likes to shoot and trying to get him interested in something other then video games. Yes
    You will come out better using the Remington 40X, even it the initial cost is slightly more. There are more options available for the 40X ( triggers, scope mounts, stocks....) and easier to come by. Fact is, they shoot pretty well as-is, then you can make upgrades as the youngster gets better at it. When he is ready for a serious upgrade, the 40X can be sold for close to what you paid for it. I don't think you would recover anything close to you investment, going with a Marlin or Savage. JMO

Concur w/ used Cooper Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I found a used Cooper Bench Rest model and it shoots really well. I have two friends with Model 12 H&Rs that also shoot great off the bench.

Bob
    Used Cooper TRP Mdl 57's are out there. Very good entry level Bench Rest Rifle for 10.5-13.5 and UL Class competitions.

The ole soldier