Thread: old brass

old brass

A guy gave me a box full of old 30 cal. or 3006 still have the primer crimp so they've only been shot once. Headstamp 45. Would you reload them? I don't wanna burn one off in the chamber. The case walls are thicker than commercial brass but I know they gotta be brittle. Should I throw em away or load em. Don't want to go to the effort of removing primer crimp if they stick in the chamber. Doug

Toss 'em.

Brass is one of the cheapest components for any rifle....no need to have any questions about what's in the chamber holding 50,000+ psi a few inches from my face.

Good shootin'. -Al

No

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    A guy gave me a box full of old 30 cal. or 3006 still have the primer crimp so they've only been shot once. Headstamp 45. Would you reload them? I don't wanna burn one off in the chamber. The case walls are thicker than commercial brass but I know they gotta be brittle. Should I throw em away or load em. Don't want to go to the effort of removing primer crimp if they stick in the chamber. Doug
    '45, prolly still using corrosive primers and God knows the internal condition of the brass. Military brass was not designed to be reloaded, generally is thicker and hence less internal capacity and was shot in rifles with generous chamber dimensions so may need be be heavily resized to fit a modern SAAMI chamber. Al hit the nail on the head IMO. --Greg

Thanks guys, I didn't know what to do with it. I guess Ill sell it for scrap. Thought maybe the thicker walls might make a difference. That's old ww2 and Korea headstamps. New brass is cheap. Don't need a failure close to my eye. thanks, Doug

It all had corrosive primers till 1954. The only one that never had corrosive was M1 carbine ammo.

Cases that are that old might be of value to a cartridge collector. Don't know for sure.