Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullet swaging questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Harren View Post
    "Sounds like there's a fair amount of magic and fairy dust involved in getting good bullet dies"

The response suggesting contacting George Ulrich or Dave Detsch was the answer to your statement.
    DITTO - I don't see the magic - it's about good "stuff". RG
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 10-15-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Ericson View Post
    Probably the worst place to start if interested in Benchrest quality bullets.

Contact George Ulrich or Dave Detsch, they know what it takes to compete!
    Start. Not finish.

They have well made presses even if their dies are not always up to snuff for BR.

Better to start off with moderate proced equipment and then decide if you really want to continue.

The old adage applies

Buy once, cry once. Purchase the best equipment you can afford after doing due diligence. Talk to enough people until you get confused. You'll find there are lots of ways to skin this cat. Nothing wrong with used presses ect.

Later
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Coots; 10-15-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    Start. Not finish.

They have well made presses even if their dies are not always up to snuff for BR.

Better to start off with moderate proced equipment and then decide if you really want to continue.
    If you buy the best dies and use them very little, how much of your investment can you expect to recover if you sell?

Can used dies be refurbished?

A few answers to your questions. Buying good dies and not using you should be able to recoup most of your hard earned dollars. I see some used dies for sale without a history on them trying to be sold for more than new dies cost. Never could figure that out. Used dies are a good consideration for starting less expensive if you can have them checked by a competent bullet maker and someone is not just unloading wore out junk or if they have issues. If your not into a higher volume I would look into Larry Blackmans steel dies price is good dies are fine except they are steel. I would not refer anyone to corbin dies or presses they are way to much for what you are getting quality wise for the prices you will pay you would almost be into carbide and a whole bunch straighter...next can old dies be repaired that's kind of a loaded question, yes I have reset the insert and made the die smaller but its not something I like doing. If I screw up dies mine . so a case by case would be best....hope this helps....

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    A few answers to your questions. Buying good dies and not using you should be able to recoup most of your hard earned dollars. I see some used dies for sale without a history on them trying to be sold for more than new dies cost. Never could figure that out. Used dies are a good consideration for starting less expensive if you can have them checked by a competent bullet maker and someone is not just unloading wore out junk or if they have issues. If your not into a higher volume I would look into Larry Blackmans steel dies price is good dies are fine except they are steel. I would not refer anyone to corbin dies or presses they are way to much for what you are getting quality wise for the prices you will pay you would almost be into carbide and a whole bunch straighter...next can old dies be repaired that's kind of a loaded question, yes I have reset the insert and made the die smaller but its not something I like doing. If I screw up dies mine . so a case by case would be best....hope this helps....
    Thanks for the info.